Pitching opportunity for northern writers

About Forums Den of Writers Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities Pitching opportunity for northern writers

This topic contains 22 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Daedalus 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Raine
    Participant

DHH literary agency are holding a pitching event aimed at increasing accesibility for writers outside the southeast! Yay. It’s in York, which honestly, not north. But we take what we can, I guess!

http://www.dhhliteraryagency.com/blog/pitch-dhh-york

The event is on Dec 1st, but you have to submit and then they’ll invite you to pitch. Check the blog for the agents you can pitch to. The submission window is 21st Sept to 25th Oct.

Seagreen
    Participant

Ooh! Interesting.

Alan Rain
    Participant

I think they are to be congratulated. They say will choose the writers who can pitch from the submissions they receive.

Janette
    Participant

Thank you for this, Raine, most interesting. I’m not sure if I can get mine to a pitchable standard in time, but I’m tempted to give it a go, perhaps squeezing a late submission as they only want to see the opener. Then, if lucky, I’ll have another 5 weeks to work on the rest. Or does this sound a little too frantic?

Jonathan
    Participant

Does anyone know if an MS we have submitted to them before (unsuccessfully) is eligible for this event, if it has had a rewrite? If no-one knows, I’ll ask them.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  Jonathan.

Raine
    Participant

Prob worth asking, @jd73. It says not eligible to anyone who’s attended previous pitching sessions, but nothing about previous subs. Maybe pitch to a different agent?

Raine
    Participant

@janette, yeah chuck one in. There’s probably a fairly small chance of actually being selected to pitch, so no harm in trying out.

Jonathan
    Participant

@raine they replied saying if the MS had been turned down and not re-worked, then don’t resubmit, but if it has been reworked and the writer feels it could benefit from another look, then repitch. That answers that! I’ll have to check to see what I sent.

Julie Cordiner
    Participant

I might have a go at this, although none of the agents specifically mentions historical fiction so I guess I’d be limited to the one who says genre fiction. Does anyone know anything about the agency please?

I have had no contact with any agencies so far – am tempted to indie publish as I do for my non-fiction – but I fancy dipping my toe in the water. An agency that is prepared to come north even when it’s only as far as York gets extra brownie points in my view!

Raine
    Participant

@jd73 that’s good news! I guess just make sure the first 3 chapters are different to the old version!

@juliec The agency are a big-ish well established one, with some big name authors and all that jazz. And yeah, any agency actively looking at diversity and accessibility is a good agency, to my mind. 🙂

Jonathan
    Participant

@juliec not really other than what they say on their site and twitter feed. I do know that they tend to be one of these “if you don’t hear back from us, assume it’s a no” which is why I never heard back from them… I queried Hannah Sheppard before (YA), but I think I will go with Harry Illingworth (SFF) this time.

Julie Cordiner
    Participant

Thank you – will consider pitching. Nothing ventured…

Giselle
    Participant

What an astounding event. I can’t imagine any NY or Parisian agents heading two hours north to find new talent.

I wonder what the ambiance will be. Writers waiting in little rooms, or a more open event where they can mingle with one another?

@jd73, I asked that very question during York’s “meet the agents” panel. And they were unanimous in saying that if the manuscripts had been revamped then we could repitch, saying as much.

@juliec, why NOT give it a go. The worst you can do is lose a little time.

Good luck to all!

Raine
    Participant

@giselle, I was wondering about the set up too. Will it be like job interviews? Erk.

And yeah, it’s great that they are doing this. BUt also really sad that it’s so exceptional, and demonstrates just how London-centric the industry is – that two hours north constitutes venturing into exotic territory!!

Philippa East
    Participant

@juliecordiner: lots of agents are looking for historical fiction at the moment (it’s the latest trend…), so any agents that represent “fiction” will probably be interested. Go for it!

Bella
    Participant

Crikey. I’m quite tempted and I am a solid South-Easterner. But 2 hours on the train is hardly a no-no.

Jonathan
    Participant

There are quite a few independent presses and publishers in the north, and there’s a great sense of coalition about them all. I’m going to a talk-to-the-publisher with Bluemoose Books (the ones that published the Gallows Pole by Benjamin Myers) at a literary fest in town in a couple of weeks. Hopefully they’ll have reviewed my MS by then. I’ll bring along a spare copy just in case they haven’t got to it yet hehe 😉

Raine
    Participant

@jd73 Bluemoose are supposed to be really good aren’t they? One of the big hitter indies. So good luck with them!
    @bellam if you are southeast, keep an eye out cos there are loads more of these kinds of things in and around London. Are you on Twitter? They are forever coming up on my TL, and always down south somewhere (sigh).

Alan Rain
    Participant

What counts though as historical fiction? Look at Wiki, and you’ll get a variety of answers. My own novel, set in the 1980s and 90s would count as historical by the 25-year definition, while it wouldn’t by the 50-year definition.
    If I could pitch it as historical as well as supernatural, it would really open up my options.

Debi Alper
    Participant

@juliec – DHH is David Headley’s agency. David is also a bookseller, owning Goldsboro Books, which hosts some big events like Crime in the Court, and he became an agent in 2008. He knows the business from an unusual – but useful – angle. The agency has grown steadily. I met him a few times at York, in the early days of FoW. At that time, I think he was operating solo. He took on a children’s author on my recommendation and also passed another author to me for a critique. I always found him good to work with. Go for it!

Julie Cordiner
    Participant

Thanks Giselle, Phillipa and Debi for the info and encouragement. Good to hear interest is rising in hist fic – it seems to go with austerity I reckon!
    Hi Alan – mine is Victorian so definitely historical.
    I need to reconsider my opening, but due to work commitments I’m unlikely to achieve a rewrite of that in time for the submission. But I guess the purpose is more to see your writing style, so I will send it as it is with a new synopsis that addresses the things from my MS assessment that need to be changed. Nothing to lose!

Alan Rain
    Participant

@Julie, Probably the most enjoyable novel I’ve read this century is ‘The Crimson Petal and the White’, which is set in Victorian times.

Daedalus
    Participant

Histfic can definitely have mainstream appeal. Seems as though one of Juliet Mushens’ biggest successes as an agent recently was with The Miniaturist. Though I gather Juliet is interested in history. The blogpost about how that novel was pitched to her is interesting. I think the link was posted somewhere around here. Go for it

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.