Reading Times New Roman doc on screen

About Forums Den of Writers The Writers’ Lifeboat Reading Times New Roman doc on screen

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Davison 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jean Davison
    Participant

I’m re-posting this here as I think I put it earlier in the wrong place.
    Just wondered if anyone else is having a problem with the Times New Roman font, 12 pt? This is the font in which agents or competitions often want submissions. It used to be fine for me, but for some time now I find that text I send or receive in this font does not read properly when opened on my screen. I use a desktop PC with Windows 10 and the word processor package I use is Word. It blurs some of the letters out and is virtually unreadable, though okay when I print out the document. I don’t know if it’s just like this on my screen or if the recipient will find my document hard if not impossible to read on screen. I don’t know how to fix this and it makes me concerned about submitting to agents or competitions. Other fonts, such as Ariel, are okay when I open the document on screen, but often submission requirement is to use Times New Roman.

Raine
    Participant

Hi Jean,
    I can’t be much help with this, I’m afraid. I have roughly the same set up, but not encountered any problems with fonts. I wonder if it’s worth running all the usual system tests (full virus scan, defragmenting), or perhaps uninstalling and reinstalling word? Another option might be to upload files into Google Docs and re-save there before any submissions? Good luck.

Jean Davison
    Participant

Thanks for commenting Raine. I’ve tried everything except uninstalling and reinstalling word. It’s weird. I never had this trouble until some months ago though it might have happened earlier without my knowing. I only found out when I opened an email attachment I’d sent. The typed document in word looks fine in Times New Roman but not when opened as an attachment.

Daedalus
    Participant

It’s a strange one isn’t it? I wonder if @athelstone can help?

Athelstone

I wonder too 🙂

Can I ask for a bit of clarification? If you type out some text in Word using Times New Roman, it looks fine. When you send that as an email attachment and subsequently view it, it appears blurry and hard to read.

At the risk of sounding daft, how are you viewing the attachments? Do you open them with Word, i.e. if Word isn’t open to start with then opening the attachment, makes Word fire up with the Word logo and everything? The reason I’m asking, is to distinguish between viewing in Word and viewing with some sort of preview feature of whatever email client you’re using (Outlook, or Windows 10’s own “Mail” app, or via a Website or whatever).

If you save the attachment and then open it in MS Word and it looks OK, then I assume the doc is fine.

Jean Davison
    Participant

Sorry, I’m not explaining this very well as I’m finding it hard to explain what I mean.

Yes, if I type up, say, my synopsis in Times New Roman in Word and save it in a folder in Word, I have no problem when I open it again to look at, print, or edit. But to send the synopsis to an agent, I go into my email programme (gmail) and send it by email attachment. If I then go into my ‘Sent’ mail and open the attachment there (by clicking on the attachment in the email I sent to them) to check what it looks like, there is this problem in viewing on the computer screen. And same problem when I receive an email with an attachment in Times New Roman when I click on the attachment in the email to open it. For years I did this exactly the same and had no problem until more recently, though I haven’t changed any settings.
    You’ve just given me an idea. I’ll set up a different email programme and see if it still happens then. Maybe it’s something to do with gmail.

John S Alty
    Participant

You might find this useful, scroll down to the troubleshooting section:

Assuming this link works!

John S Alty
    Participant

I guess not. Google “troubleshooting font problems in word”, you should find this:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/918791/overview-of-fonts-and-how-to-troubleshoot-font-problems-in-microsoft-w

Athelstone

Are you using gmail’s webmail service?

I just had a quick try and noticed that when I clicked on a Word document, it was opened in Google Docs and not Word. My suspicion is that Word is fine but there’s something wrong with the way gmail is rendering Times New Roman. If that’s the case, then a fix depends on what browser you’re using and what computer you have (PC, Mac, Chromebook etc.).

Jean Davison
    Participant

Dunno. Think so. I thought all gmail was web based.
    I’ve found now that if instead of opening the attachment with one click, I open with Google Docs, the words on the screen are clearer (not as clear as the original unattached document, but better than opening with one click). But I find that viewing when opened with Google Docs alters the words per page. I mean my one-page synopsis shows up as taking two pages (could be a problem when asked to send only one page). I suppose none of this matters if the agent sees the document as I originally typed it, but it’s got me worried that she won’t.
    Anyway, thanks for your comments (and patience with me!), which I do appreciate.

Athelstone

I wouldn’t worry about agents etc. If you send a Word document then they will understand that it should be viewed in Word; it’s usually what they ask for. I think your problem is that either your browser or Google Docs or whatever gmail uses for previews isn’t displaying Times New Roman properly.

There are things you can try to fix it, such as disabling hardware acceleration in your browser settings (if it’s used) and checking whether you have any level of zooming in effect – but that’s up to you 🙂

Jean Davison
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll resume sending stuff to agents like it is then.
    I expect the outcome will be the same in any case. Soon I will have enough flipping rejections to paper a wall!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.