@athelstone
Active 1 day, 4 hours ago-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 3 weeks ago
Running the Christmas Gauntlet
Brace yourself, girl. Everywhere is going to be madness today. Most of the throng will be feeling much the same way … which means shouting and kids screaming; means shoving and pushing … but take a deep breath. Concentrate on the list. You’ve successfully run the Christmas shopping gauntlet before.
The veget…[Read more]
-
Janette posted an update 9 months, 4 weeks ago
So sorry for my absences. I have made the decision to self-publish my books after careful consideration, reading how some trad friends have fared, and revisiting notes from my last (self-publishing) workshop in York. I’m very wet behind the ears regarding publishing, especially self-publishing, so I am deep into swatting about it before I make any…[Read more]
-
Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. I’d like to piggy-back on your request for tips. I am part of a group currently ready to publish a non-fiction book. We’re trying a few pitches via the traditional route just in case it lands but it’s quite likely we may end up self-publishing because we don’t want the book to languish, unpublished, for ages.
-
Hi Bella. So far I’m deep into reading the Writers and Artists Guide to Self Publishing, which is very ‘involved’ though gives lots of advice. I have also signed up to David Gaughran’s free self-publishing course (on his website). I also found this: https://justpublishingadvice.com/publishing-companies-to-avoid-and-nasty-new-author-scams/
I’ll let…[Read more]-
Janette (and Bella), one tip I didn’t mention earlier is that it makes very good sense to set your page size for composing to Blurb’s trade book size. Makes it, in my opinion, a lot easier to read on screen too. Blurb’s page size is 13.02cm x 20.95cm. Select mirror margins , set top margin 2 cm, bottom 2.25 cm, inside 1.75cm, outside, 1.75 cm…[Read more]
-
-
-
Hi Janette, I’ve never self-published but am in contact with editors and proofreaders who work with self-pub authors. This tip usually doesn’t apply to experienced writers so I just add it as a general comment. When self-pub authors approach editors for a proofread or copy edit, often what’s needed is a more substantial developmental or…[Read more]
-
Thank you, Sandra and Libby. All taken on board, but the novel has had three beta readers so far, plus an agent’s when she almost took it on. Better luck this time, eh?
-
You are well prepared, Janette! Good luck with the self pub.
-
-
-
Libby replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Thank you, Terrie! And congratulations on a truly creepy story, Ath. And Jill for a heart-warming, magical tale – exactly right for the time of year.
-
Terrie replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Jill – a heart-warming tale with a hint of caution and a happy ending as luckily the fairies didn’t try to whisk Ellie away.
The warmth between Ellie and her grandma really shone through and I enjoyed how you blended something modern with a fairy tale too.
Libby – I tried to leave the scope of the challenge a little open…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Only one more day remaining for anyone thinking about submitting something for the November competiton .
-
Libby replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 2 weeks ago
You asked for a heart-warming tale, Terrie, but my story, after I started it and got stuck, became the opposite. You’re welcome to disqualify it or not read it at all.
Content warning: includes postnatal depression
499 words including title
I Lied When I Said My Daughter Lived Abroad
After that walk up and down a steep crag, I sat beside t…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Sorry, Terrie, no way do I have head space to do anything for this. Will aim to Do Better next time
-
Terrie replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 3 weeks ago
I expect lots of you, like me, are creating and drafting exciting entries for the September Song competition but dont forget there are only fourteen days until the monthly (November ) competition closes and i’m looking forward to reading your entries for that too .
-
-
-
Janette posted an update 11 months, 1 week ago
Well done, Terrie – a great choice! I have a busy November coming up but will try and fit in some time to take part in the monthly comp.
-
Terrie started the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 11 months, 1 week ago
Now the November evenings are darkening earlier and there is that expectant chill in the air I was thinking about the art of storytelling beside the warmth and atmosphere of a log fire.
So, become that story teller beside a night-time fire and surprise me with the most heart-warming, scary, romantic, mysterious, or cautionar…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly competition October 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 11 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for choosing my entry Libby.
All the other entries were of such high calibre I had been thinking ‘I’m glad I’m not the one having to chose one above the others’ and now that’s going to be my dilemma at the end of Novembers competition challenge .
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly competition October 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 11 months, 1 week ago
What fabulous entries, all of them fantastical, brilliant and captivating. Halloween has prompted very good stories.
@jillsted – here was an enticing mystery with a comic touch. Told with great pacing and a strong atmosphere of folk tale, it hooked me from start to finish.
@purplewitch (Terrie) – what wonderful creepiness. I loved the rich lan…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly competition October 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 11 months, 1 week ago
A reminder for anyone who, like me, forget this month’s competition deadline is tonight: the October monthly comp deadline is midnight tonight! You might have a suitable WIP hiding away somewhere…
-
John T posted an update 11 months, 2 weeks ago
Ooh, I missed the challenge. My fault for not looking in. But honestly, I have a busy time ahead locally, both writing and storytelling events. And there’s THAT first draft that isn’t yet complete. So, good luck everybody and I’ll sit this one out.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition October 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 11 months, 2 weeks ago
This the result of apending 5 days writing with a gathering of Self-Edit participants.
Games people play
Monday morning’s plumping of the pillows of our marital bed effortful, thanks to both sleep and sex absent as snow in August throughout the weekend. Similarly, energy enough to dissipate the sourness of my reaction when I noticed the wor…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Choices in the forum
September Song 11 months, 3 weeks agoIce
The Last Kingdom
-
Libby replied to the topic A scheme to show books written without AI in the forum Coffee Shop 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks, Ath. Yes, I was thinking that writers might collect some AI produced fiction and do something with its tropes, sort of like Pop Art did. I’m vague about this. Am looking for reasons for optimism!
-
Libby replied to the topic A scheme to show books written without AI in the forum Coffee Shop 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Sandra, I saw your comment about self-pub authors but it has disappeared from the thread. As you say, it’s harder to see how authors could guarantee their own writing. I expect someone will think of something to address this, or try to address it.
I also think some readers will seek out AI novels because AI writing will be reliable. It will…[Read more]
- Load More
