@athelstone
Active 22 hours, 18 minutes ago-
Sandra replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 1 day, 2 hours ago
Easy peasy
Yesterday evening, me in mindless mood, scrolling between television programmes, and phone an Instagram a reel came up, featuring the ever- crumpled face of Mick Jagger. He answering some question about song writing, where he got his inspiration from.
His ‘Everywhere! -Sometimes I only have to look out the window –‘ spanne…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 days, 4 hours ago
Thank you @Athelstone , and thanks also to Jill, Sandra and Seagreen for kind and encouraging comments.
-
Libby replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 2 hours ago
That’s 31st October!
-
Libby started the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 2 hours ago
For the October competition please write on any theme and include in your story two or more of the following words:
Uniform (as a noun or adjective)
Cumulus
Television
Mood
Spanner
500 words max, deadline midnight October 31<sup>st</sup>
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 2 hours ago
Thank you @Seagreen ! The prompt was a challenge, in a good way, and I’m very pleased to have been picked from such a strong collection of stories.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 4 hours ago
I was pleased to have my mind returned to the time I effortlessly wrote dark, so thank you for this, challenge, Sea, ad well as all the contributors – entertaining every one, but I confess to especially enjoying Libby’s contempt for the policeman.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 7 hours ago
Thank you for indulging me with these entries and apologies once again for being so late with the results.
@Jill: you gave me exactly what I asked for – an insight into the mind of a killer – in this case, a victim of domestic abuse who was finally pushed too far. Your words paint a quiet picture of an unseen tempest.
@Sandra: Your words pai…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 days, 15 hours ago
Apologies, all. Just home from work and, while the mind is willing, the body is most definitely wrecked. It’ll be tomorrow before I get a chance to read the entries.
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week, 3 days ago
Care Package
450 words
Her brother and she were the youngest of five, he the youngest of all.
‘Follow me!’ he called, pedalling hard. To keep up, when he was eight and she nine, stole her breath. Also, there were more interesting things to do: reading a book, doing piano practice. Soul-bolstering things. Becoming your own person.
Ahead, her…[Read more]
-
Libby started the topic Edinburgh Book Festival 2026 videos in the forum Coffee Shop 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Videos of author talks at this year’s Edinburgh International Book Festival are available on demand
https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/on-demand
-
Thanks for the link, Libby. I was pleased to see that although they accept donations, which is brilliant, the videos are available for free. Since I suspect the principal audience is likely to be writers this reflects an understanding of just how low the median income from our beloved interest really is. Latest figures show a median income for…[Read more]
-
Yes, the Edinburgh book fest does live video broadcasts too which people can watch free or on a pay-what-you-can-afford basis. Most events aren’t videoed – the festival is massive. I’m not sure about the principal audience. I’ve never attended in person. My guess is that there are a lot of targets, from school children (there’s a big children’s…[Read more]
-
-
-
John T posted an update 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Hello all. I hope you’ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I’ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of mine called One Kiss, back in WordCloud days. Well, it became a novel called A Policy on Kissing that was longlisted for the Bath Novel Award in 2016, but…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Episode from long-running tale ‘The Blacksmith’s wife’
Kick a corpse to life and you’ll inevitably disturb carrion.
Tao knew this but only recalled it on attempting to leave his inn-room. The body that had earlier impeded his exit messenger for the man whose name Tao had evoked in hope of boosting his financial standing, believing those who…[Read more]
-
Seagreen started the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
I don’t know if anyone remembers one of FergC’s challenges on the Cloud when he asked us to get in touch with our darker writing selves and be the villain? I hated it. Sobbed as I wrote, in fact, but my goodness I was stretched by it and just a tiny bit shocked at how wicked I could be.
I hope to stretch you now…
There’s a body.
Whether…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Thanks for the prompt Libby. It seems to have been an age since I tested the writerly muscles…
And I second Jill’s call for virtual medals all round! 🙂
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Thanks Libby for the prompt and your kind words. Only as I finished writing my entry did I recall the only holiday spent with my parents was in 1973 , after chld#3 born. It was NOT a success (and Dovercourt still feels like home)
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
I realised after I pressed send that the POVs of your three characters responded to the three possible POVs I’d put in my comp task. Neat!
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
As befits pieces about holidays and sea, all this month’s entries evoked a sense of place and, in their different ways, the rituals of leaving home for time away.
A lovely interweaving of different memories focused on the annual seaside holiday. Your depictions are very atmospheric, such as, “We would stand in the corridor and e…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
The Space Between the Notes (334 words inc title)
It was more than a holiday; it was a ritual, starting with the drive north. The choice of music; what the kids called my soppy stuff – Savage Garden, Beautiful South and sshhh, don’t say it out loud, Barry Manilow – and the way I always packed the car with a hundred and one things I wou…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
A quick reminder that the end of the month is growing near for anyone who’d like to enter the monthly competition.
August, peak holiday season. For the August comp please combine the themes of holiday and sea. It could be from the point of view of a holidaymaker or a person who works in the tourist industry or someone who simply observes.
500…[Read more]
-
RichardB replied to the topic Vaulting Ambition: the BRM V16 in the forum Blogs 1 month, 1 week ago
Your thought about the V16 engine and the 1966 formula is indeed intriguing, but if anyone at BRM did seriously consider it then I think it would have come unstuck on the fuel question if nothing else. It is my understanding that one reason for the Alfetta’s inordinate thirst (1.5 miles to the gallon in its final form!) was that it relied on…[Read more]
- Load More
