@athelstone
Active 23 hours, 11 minutes ago-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Competition – January 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 8 months ago
Ohai, just had my read-through. January’s entries were really eclectic, both funny and relatable.
@quellomayo – Gripping and amusing in equal measure; this wasn’t one that I’d read normally but having done, I wanted to read more. Fun stuff.
@sandradavies – Definitely en route to overcoming an adversary we can all relate to being plague by in…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic The Future of the Den – Part 2 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 10 months ago
Hi @Athelstone, sorry – no I don’t think there is a delete option currently either, it was just that I could delete it off the main wall, but not in the forum which seemed like it might cause confusion. It would be good to be able to delete your own comments though, particularly for the monthly comps & publication rights issues, but it’s not critical.
-
Raine replied to the topic The Future of the Den – Part 2 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 10 months ago
It does look much improved @athelstone. Thank you for all the hard work. I love that copy/pasting from word works better & that reply threads won’t vanish. Also love the chat – I commented in there that I almost didn’t spot it though – is there a way of making it more prominent? Or listed on the ‘Activity’ drop down menu at the top?
THe other…[Read more] -
Raine replied to the topic Monthly Comp – October 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 11 months ago
Hi all! Thank you so much for entering this month – sorry I’m not the actual winner of last month but I’ve had fun being undeserved organiser anyway!
@knickylaurelle, I loved the dark, shadowy atmosphere to this. Lost boys and forests and witches – *chefs kiss* Some utterly beautiful imagery in here, my favourite has got to be ‘a cackle can be…[Read more]
-
Thank you Raine for so topically filling the breach, setting and judging (always the hardest part) the monthly comp. I am making good progress after stroke + surgery so hope to be back to full-strength participation soon
-
*giant hugs*
-
Oh my goodness, Sandra, I had no idea you were going through such a hard time. Pleased to hear you’re making good progress. Take it easy. Best wishes to you and yours. xxx
-
Thanks, Newbie. I count myself lucky to have come through it with minimal side effects – and a huge warm glow from the quantity and breadth of caring messages which have come my way from friends and family.
-
-
-
-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Competition – September 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years ago
Okay guys, I’ve completed my reading and I really must say these are all so good and left my expectations very well-met.
@squidge – I enjoyed this far-away, fantastical dream sequence, with its lightly pressing sense of isolation, elusive understanding, and finally, lucidity.
@athelstone – Gorgeously streaming subconsciousness with this one,…[Read more]
-
Knicks replied to the topic Eagle! in the forum Blogs 5 years, 1 month ago
@richardb how cool is that!! Thank you for sharing your special day and moment 😃✨
We are not natural
I couldn’t have said it more aptly myself, nor could I agree more. How beautiful it is to re-introduce a species we made the unnatural choice (and for pleasure no less!) to hunt to near-extinction. And how hideous it is to have hunted…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 1 month ago
Late to this, but well done indeed @Knicky, for a poetic tale. Also to @Athelstone – I too had a lane like that in the place where I was born, which decades later had its magic buried beneath tarmac.
Thanks @Seagreen for the challenge and the feedback – I did enjoy the opportunity to just play. -
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 1 month ago
😃 Thank you, @seagreen, for the competition and for choosing my piece! I’m so glad you enjoyed it, it was most delicious to write. I took inspiration from what came to mind with the prompt, which was that scene in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast when Maurice (Belle’s dad) was on his way to the science fair with his invention, and Phillipe (the…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 1 month ago
Five glorious entries and oh, so difficult to choose! Many thanks for participating 😊
Anyway, down to business. You know what I’m like with feedback so I’ll keep it brief.
@sandradavies – Loved the voice, the descriptive language (gingerbread brown and the notion of a magical, travelling kaleidoscope – how perfect!) Then, just the hint of threa…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 2 months ago
Wow! This is the best collection of stories I’ve read in response to a single competition. They’re a joy to read and completely daunting to judge.
What impressed me most, on top of all the individual skills displayed, is that every piece is such a distinct rendition of the author’s voice. I’ve read most of you before and could recognise you in…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago
School literature lessons often had a lot to answer for @Athelstone . I gave up with them and returned to Eng Lit A level ten years later at evening classes. A vastly improved experience 🙂
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Beta Reading Discussion in the forum Blogs 5 years, 2 months ago
Wow. So so much interesting and useful stuff, @Libby ! It would make a brilliant checklist for anyone. It will take me a bit of time to assimilate it all. I will say though, with my ‘Being betaread’ hat on, that I wouldn’t expect a beta reader of a whole novel to cover all that for me in one go if anyone is feeling a bit daunted.
-
Barny replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
@athelstone have you looked at moving to a 21st century forum like discourse? I use it on talk.restarters.net and it’s pretty slick. You can get email notifications and reply by email; can upload pictures, has trust levels and you can restrict areas.
-
Libby posted a new activity comment 5 years, 3 months ago
Thank you @athelstone. I enjoyed writing to the theme. The other entries were so good I’m very chuffed to have won.
I’ll go away and think of a theme for July. -
Raine replied to the topic The Future of the Den in the forum Blogs 5 years, 3 months ago
First off, apologies. I am not as active on here as I was, and definitely not as active as I was on the Cloud. Partly, recently that’s been due to being swamped with book release stuff. Partly though it’s because of the format & the way the site kills off chat. Both in hiding replies and in it’s weird notifications limitations. I think that’s a…[Read more]
-
Libby posted a new activity comment 5 years, 4 months ago
I really enjoyed both these entries. Congratulations @athelstone and @sandradavies.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – March 2021 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 years, 6 months ago
Thank you @Athelstone and @seagreen. Also thanks @Janette for a prompt which enabled me to try out a reason for a murder.
-
Raine replied to the topic Cover reveal for This Is Our Undoing in the forum Podium 5 years, 6 months ago
@Daedalus, that’s so unutterably awful it’s tipped all the way over into wonderful!
@libby, @athelstone, thank you. I’m delighted with my foxy. 🙂
I think you’re right in that figures are often used as a massive ‘THIS IS WHAT THIS BOOK IS’ flag, like for bodice rippers or YA urban romantic fantasy, or twee historical rags-to-riches stories.…[Read more]
-
Libby posted a new activity comment 5 years, 6 months ago
No problem, @athelstone
I thought at the time that as I’d started a new thread, it was waiting for moderation. Then I sort of forgot about it. It was from last year when book wholesalers were hampered by Lockdown 1 and therefore bookshops couldn’t simply order stock in usual way.
As a postscript, ordering from the existing stock of a small…[Read more] -
KazG replied to the topic Cover reveal for This Is Our Undoing in the forum Podium 5 years, 6 months ago
Yes, my thoughts exactly @athelstone. I did the same thing – I specifically asked my publisher to brief the designer to NOT include illustrations of the characters, for precisely the reasons you say. I wanted the kids to have ownership of them. Silhouettes are fine, but not drawings. Funny how we all feel the same about this!
- Load More
