Bella

  • Thanks Seagreen. Glad you laughed. Well, Terrie, there’s a coincidence. I’ve barely been able to write for the last month having been fitting our new kitchen. Completely new from top to bottom including having to rebuild joists under the floor and fit a kitchen to an accuracy of 1mm per metre. As I’ve never done anything to that accuracy except by…[Read more]

  • I popped in a few times but sorry, didn’t  managed to post  anything for  the monthly comp . I’ve been really busy sorting and emptying  the kitchen  as sparkly new  units,   sink  and other  gizmos  are being fitted in the new  year. the old one is over 20 years old  and it’s turned into a major refit having to  move pipes, wiring  and other thin…[Read more]

  • Sea,  I well remember, a couple of years ago admiring your shorter haircut when you picked me up at Markinch station, Promise I wasn’t thinking of the competition we might meet at Craigievar! I did hope to do something more inspired for this great prompt, but ran out of mental space, so well done Ath.

  • I’m not surprised by this. For some time there have been AI editing features available with Prowritingaid, Grammarly and so on. I have the former, and although I seldom use the AI features, some of which are behind an additional paywall, I have given them a spin in the past. What you get from one of the reports does appear to be a reasonably…[Read more]

  • Argus 26 November 2024

    Brighton man grows hair for five years for special reason.

     

    I remember the blonde hair on the windowsill. My hair’s brown, so it must have come from Taz. Her hair is, or was, I should say, long, and rich, and blonde. Curious, I ran my fingers through my hair a few times and then examined what had come loose. Not a lot,…[Read more]

  • Looks very promising. I shall be donning the headphones when I set about cooking dinner.

  • If it has any impact at all on the publishing world, I would be pleased. I can see that it is galling when an author with a genuine passion for writing, say for a young audience, hones their craft and achieves moderate success, and then watches a celeb waltz in like an unoriginal bargain-basement Roald Dahl, have a small fortune spent on…[Read more]

    • I wholly agree, though in a fit of madness, I thought that an increased gathering of writers might at least get our voices heard, if not have any bearing on sales. It would be a start if some regulation was brought in regards being able to blatantly claim someone else’s work is your own – but too many influential people are on the opposing side to…[Read more]

  • My view is that publishers are in it for the money, and celebrity sells more – and more reliably – than as-yet-unknown novelists (potentially supplying a profit which might enable them to take more chances on unknowns?) It might be seen as ‘not fair’, but in my view is more honest to trust readers’ appreciation of well-written novels than bombard…[Read more]

    • Sandra, it isn’t so much a bombardment campaign, rather a sharing of a meme to ask for support. I appreciate the view that regular novelists are enabled to be taken on because of the success of celebrity books, but the avalanche of them in such an unlevel playing field is instrumental in creating this huge imbalance, and I think the dishonesty is…[Read more]

      • I suspect, lacking conviction in my opinions, I’m not a campaigner.

        • I have bowed out of this. My intention was to be supportive, but the feelings stirred and opposing views given have me concluding that I should leave it to published authors and their representatives to fight the battle. Lesson learned.

  • This is not my take on the headline, but I’ve posted it here because I could not come up with anything more ludicrous.

     

    “Short hair hints may be ‘sabotage” study finds.

    Publishing her research on the ’Science Direct’ website, under the heading  ‘Personality and individual Differences’  Danielle Sulikowski details how women were asked to giv…[Read more]

  • Thank you for setting Octobers comp, Knicks.

    I enjoy seeing  how  differently  we  all approach  the monthly challenges. this months were wonderfully varied.

    Congratulations to Seagreen  for  such an atmospheric winning  offering.

  • Congratulations to Seagreen, and to everyone else who supplied an entertaining and impressive piece to October’s comp. And to Knicks for setting it,

  • Heya lovelies,

    Apologies for the day-late decision making. I’ve been oout and aboout with my egg, enjoying our midterm break from work and school, and foolishly saved the reading until the final day of the month because I wanted to take in each piece at the same time, rather than read as submitted, and also to give everyone who could, a chance to…[Read more]

  • Darn it! Missed it! A fab selection though.

  • Apologies, Knicks, I’m not going to submit anything this month – torn three ways with something that will not knit.

  • A rhyming effort  from me for this challenge 

    <u>All in my head</u>

    Emotion, bright as a shooting star, trails across the bowl of dark-light, caught

    crackling and spluttering, straining against the speckle and spackle of midnight thought.

     I feel it drift, almost mutely, into a cascade of unspoken dreams, tumbling, and falling

    slowly, into an…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of A Different TimeA Different Time 1 year, 11 months ago

    Please don’t feel you have to emphasise the differentness. It was a throw-away comment about making me happy. The following remark that making me happy is not a condition of entry to the challenge was intended to say that. What should probably have put is that emphasis on difference will be great, but not emphasising it will also be…[Read more]

  • Sandra replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of A Different TimeA Different Time 2 years ago

    Yeah. Thanks. Still pondering …

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of A Different TimeA Different Time 2 years ago

    How many words would it be? That said, it isn’t against the rules, and this is a challenge to produce a short story in any way you see fit as long as it fits with the theme.

  • Sandra replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of A Different TimeA Different Time 2 years ago

    Initially, absence of choices left me teetering, unsupported. lacking a direction pointer   (as did the lack of a ‘final twist’ in previous years.) But it didn’t take long to seize on an idea (and even less time to feel that  a mistake and subsequently suffer an alternative uncertainty of direction) Still ongoing, but that’s the nature of a ch…[Read more]

  • Load More