@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
John T replied to the topic Richard's Musical Byways: Pete Who? (No 2) in the forum Blogs 3 years, 2 months ago
Oh wow! That brings back memories. I heard Pete Atkin (without Clive James) at a soaking wet Bristol Folk Festival sometime in the early 70s, and again in Cardiff Student Union. And I loved his music. I had a Clive James/Pete Atkin LP from that time, but it is one of the many that I sold when I moved to a single room in Scotland in 1980.
As for…[Read more]
-
John T started the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 3 years, 2 months ago
Have any of you thought about who your writing influences are? I’m asking, because I was about to write a blog about my writing influences, and then stopped, unsure. I know plenty of authors whose writing I adore, including a fair few in this Den. But influences? I’d have to go further back, and then I’m not sure at all.
Most of the authors I…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Musical Byways: Pete Who? (No 2) in the forum Blogs 3 years, 2 months ago
Fabulous blog, Richard. Chanson is so little known outside of France. People think they know it because they’ve heard a recording of Non, je ne regrette rien or maybe they know that Seasons in the Sun is a translation (sort of) of a Jacques Brel number. It’s hugely popular in France. Travel to any town and go out and about on market-day. Every…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
Perhaps I should make it clear this is just one line intended as a prompt to build a story on, from a collection of poetical, random lines, in a pocketbook entitled ‘Distance and Proximity’.
-
-
Sandra started the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
“In a yellow rectangle, in the black facade of a house, a woman is laying a table.”
The above is taken from a prose poem by Thomas A Clark entitled by ‘A walk by moonlight’. For August’s comp I would like you to develop this scene in not more than 300 words. Deadline 3rd September as I’ll be away until then.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – July 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
Wow, Libby, and thank you, a big surprise, especially as I’d already identified winners 1,2 and 3 and, my laptop having died and been taken away, and only having my ancient, over-full and steaming one, I wasn’t checking as often as I have been. I’ll try and come up with something as interestingly challenging as the last few have been.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – July 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
Brutal
Graham was beside himself. Furious, speechless, incandescent with rage. They had demolished the ancient well in his garden, thrown the centuries old stonework down inside, and constructed a former which showed their intention to pour footings a full twenty metres from where the summerhouse should be. He leaned forward and peered down. All…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 2 months ago
And we’re there. Thank you to all the generous donors. We’re here for another year!
-
Athelstone posted an update 3 years, 2 months ago
One More Year!
Probably daft, bearing in mind we have maybe 10 to 15 members who are even close to regular, and perhaps half a dozen who are. I need to raise about £150 this month to keep the site going. It will keep going; it’s just a case of finding as much as I can. SO… please see the donations group for details. Simple as that. -
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – July 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
Hi Janette – as discussed, it’s gone. Feel free to post again when ready.
Ath.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – July 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 2 months ago
Right man for the job!
Half eight, overnight ice on the inside of the windows, me already double Aran-wrapped, my phone rang:
‘Missus Blake? Morpeth Builders. We’ve a cancellation. Can come and have a look at your chimney today.’
‘That’d be great. There’s some sort of, of … blockage. The boiler’s broke, so lighting a fire the only way to kee…[Read more] -
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – June 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 3 months ago
Congratulations, Libby, and thank you Seagreen for such an enticing theme – I had a dozen possibilities in my head, and it was obvious others did too, strong voices all and I was glad not to have to do the judging.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – June 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 3 months ago
Car
Look at that bloke. Arm out of the window, cigarette in hand. Marks and Sparks polo shirt that his wife bought him. Revving the engine every five seconds; counting down the time until death. And he got the silver car, the GT model. He chose that. He calls it “my car”. But if anybody asks, “We chose it. Me and my lady.”
How old do you reckon?…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 3 years, 3 months ago
Sorry for my prolonged absence from here. What with writing a new novel and proofreading two other, as well as all the drama and complications of choosing to self-publish, all my writing energy has been directed in less sociable pursuits. But, I have news. My first book should be published within a month or so, when the wonderful Leigh Forbes has…[Read more]
-
Drama and complications, John? Nothing you won’t overcome, I’m sure. Great news about the books, and loving the website.
-
Cheers, Athelstone. Since I wrote that, ‘a month or so’ now looks optimistic, at least for the ebook version. Amazon are giving Leigh less freedom to format the book, and what looks perfect on Apple Books or Kobo looks a mess on Kindle. We need two different ebook versions to work around the limited options they now give. The paperback version is…[Read more]
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – June 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 4 months ago
‘O dolce mano’ another opera
Coming out of the theatre, in the carpark, beeping the car unlocked, you say ‘If we’re dropping Judy off, she’d be best in the front –‘
Because it’s SO difficult to get out of the back seat? Nevertheless, I say nothing. It was Judy – a work colleague –that offered him the tickets. I bought the third on seeing the…[Read more] -
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 4 months ago
Wow! They were all classy little pieces of writing. Seagreen, I really enjoyed that. Well done.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 4 months ago
Well done Sea, for an intriguing tale, and thank you Kate for a topic that had me seeking a tale I KNEW I’d written on this theme, then, not finding it, having to concoct something else. Thanks also for all the other entries; I still haven’t solved the anagram.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 4 months ago
The Unmarked Letter
It’s a circular, sitting there on the mat. Or is it? It doesn’t look like the sort of envelope they use. And they usually say To the Householder or something like that. When Arthur was alive, he’d say, ‘That’s me. The householder,’ as though I didn’t count. This one has nothing on it.
Right, that’s Edith at the door. I’d b…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 4 months ago
There’ll be kites [497 words]
It isn’t often that seeing an envelope on one’s doormat transports one back some forty years through time.
Took me long enough – the wrestling of the key in the lock ever more painful thanks to the curse of arthritis; the nudging open of the door with my shoulder just enough to know I’d be able to push it wide en…[Read more] - Load More
