@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks Jill. Yes, it is a big relief.
I’ve been on blood thinners (apixaban) since I was admitted to hospital. My problem is that the hospital doctors didn’t share any plan for dealing with the existing clots which have blocked two major veins to the liver. I strongly suspect that they were anticipating a worse outcome from the endoscopy and…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 4 months, 3 weeks ago
I hope that this is a footnote, although I forsee a few more tests from my GP.
Today I had the endoscopy which I believe some of the doctors in my hospital thought would show cancer. the symptoms were all lined up. There was even consistent evidence from CAT scans and other X-rays. To be fair to them, they never said that, though they always…[Read more]
-
Ath, this is such a huge relief to hear, though I imagine the mindset prepping beforehand must have left you mentally drained. I have polyps and so have to be monitored with colonoscopies every three years – I’m guessing you might be invited to do the same. I hope your quest to find out the cause of the clots and anaemia is soon fruitful and…[Read more]
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition May 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months ago
Caution: Stuart’s language isn’t for polite company. The anniversary was my 18th birthday, June 21 1974.
Stuart’s story
People call me Plug ‘cos they reckon I look like Plug from the Bash Street Kids I ain’t never seen him, so I don’t know. Stuart’s my real name, and I just done three months in nick for something I ain’t done. Possessio…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago
Thanks for the kind wishes, Jill. I know you’ve had your own burden lately, and I was so pleased to hear things were going well. At the moment, progress is good. I’m not using crutches or a frame now around the house and I can make it upstairs 2 or 3 times a week for a shower, all approved by the health visitors. I still have anaemia and run out…[Read more]
-
Sandra posted an update 5 months, 1 week ago
May’s monthly comp is up – something to inspire lots of you I hope!
-
Sandra started the topic Monthly competition May 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 1 week ago
What I’d like you do for May’s competition is
1) choose a significant anniversary in your life: e.g. birthday, wedding, first child: graduation – then,
2 ) Google the UK Top 10 singles chart for that week.
3) select two, three or four song titles from that list and,
4) use them (loosely if necessary!) as a basis for a short story, of…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 1 week ago
Thank you , Terrie, both for the challenge and your comments on both my entry and Jill’s excellently crafted, sensitive story. I’ll aim to set something for June by the end of today.
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 1 week ago
Jill – this story was woven with the muted grey overtones of something unpleasant being cast off. I enjoyed how you linked the idea of metamorphosis with the prompt word butterfly as well as showing the protagonist dealing with the stages of an abusive relationship and its outcome with quiet strength too. Perceptively written.
Sandra, I loved…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 1 week ago
Just to remind everyone there are only two days left until the end of the April competion and as there are only two entries so far, both equally as worthy of being chosen as the other, I may have to resort to flipping a coin or standing at midnight by candlelight and chanting one of those weird childhood choosing rhymes ….mid…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don’t think me rude that I haven’t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words are very much appreciated.
-
Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues. Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me. Jill x
-
Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction. I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn’t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic…[Read more]
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic A Step Into Indie Publishing in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for this Janette; as a Blurb self-publisher , (but not seller), I much appreciate this breakdown of your experiences .
-
Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
I’ve always found the same, right up to last week with the theatre nurse who held my hand while my eye was bring anatheasised for an op. bless him. (all well post op.)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Honestly, nobody wants to get ill and go to hospital, but I don’t regret having met the staff. From the cleaner who I talked to a lot, to the nurses who tirelessly carried horrible pots away without a single complaint, to the consultant who (I now see) was joking/hinting about discharge when she said, ‘We must get this catheter out, unless you use…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Crikey Moses, William, I’m heart-heartedly glad to hear you are home and hopefully on your way to some sort of recovery – what a torrid time you and your family must have gone through, and thank you for updating us so vividly.
Sendng love and the most healingest of good wishes
Sandra
-
Athelstone started the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
So many people have asked, ‘What’s wrong with you’ and ‘Why are you still in hospital?’, (I’m out now) that I thought a small blog might help. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people, including on this site, who have had worse problems, often for longer. But I’ve never been this ill, so I’ll press on.
In the beginning, at the very tail end…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Untitled
‘Gobsmacked’ the inelegant word that came to mind when I read the letter. What else would you expect , being told your three year-old daughter’s poem had been awarded first prize ? A prize which earned her up to three sittings with well-renowned portrait artist Bernard Broom. Especially when I’d not an inkling she’d written any…[Read more]
-
Terrie started the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
I decided not to go with the traditional kinds of prompts associated with April and simply picked four words at random that must be included in your comp entry about anything in any genre that inspires your creative preference in 450 words or less.
The four words are :- Portrait Ignite Butterfly & Granite
 …[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
Thank you for helping out here Janette, and thank for choosing my offereing as winner. I felt all the entries captured Ath’s remit for this March madness comp so well done Jill, Sandra,Libby and Sea.
The April comp challenge will be posted shortly .
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
Thank you Janette – you did us proud with thoughtful comments, and well done for every other entry, all of which fitted the remit much more closely than my hastily-grabbed from a long-ago hidden in the drawer novel.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Janette has kindly volunteered !!
- Load More
