@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Having heard Athelstone indisposed again, it’s unlikely he’ll be be judging this any time soon
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 2 weeks ago
You asked for mad? Well, here’s the slice of crackpot absurdity I came up with .
The necklace of tiny silver bells about her neck tinkled softly as she backed against the garden wall. ‘You’re all mad, you know,’ she muttered holding the sharp seed dibber, labelled ‘Mr Pointy’, like a knife at the advancing crowd.
At the front of the group,…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months ago
Not yet mad enough …
Wine-heavy eyes and naked, she was cleaning her teeth in front of the bathroom mirror when he came in through the door behind her. He stood behind her, serious-faced, saying nothing, but unignorably attentive. She finished brushing. Spat, rinsed and spat a couple more times then put the toothbrush back in the glass on…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
In March it seems that hares go mad. They chase each other, jump and frolic, even have boxing matches. For March, somebody has done/is doing/will do something mad. It might be you, or not – whatever you wish. 500 words maximum please before midnight on 31 March.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for such a satisfactory February topic, Libby, and for your generous appraisal! I loved the other two entries; they could easily have won.
-
Sandra replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations, Ath – more Teabreak always welcome, and well done Jill for so richly regarding the rules. Thanks Libby for appreciating my desire to take part, but this extract the only one I could recall which specifically mentioned ‘loving’
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Teabreak in love
Maureen Chapman. No, tell a lie, it was Chaplain, like a vicar. Her name, I mean—she wasn’t like a vicar. Anyway, Maureen Chaplain was perfect from my ten-year-old point of view. But I’m getting all jumbled up about how to start, so I’ll take a breath. See, it really began when the Brazells moved out from next door and the Cha…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 2 weeks ago
‘Snap’ snippet
From the steps of Leith’s registry Office, exceeding the word count and containing expletives, but the best I can do given other demands.
Then, hand in hand, another looking-to-be-wed couple arrived from the rear carpark. On foot and windblown, Well-matched in the scruffiness of their clothes. Even earlier for their ceremony th…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Some very sad news for old Cloudies, which I suppose is most of us. I’ve just heard that Barb (Barbara Dawn Ettridge) died in Australia just over a week ago. Barb was funny, sharp, a great writer, and a good friend. Details are here:…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 4 weeks ago
Terrie, I had a tricky January but that’s no excuse. Sorry for missing a super monthly comp. Well done Libby, a really great entry. Well done all.
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Well done Libby, like Terrie my mind was contorting to keep up; the wellies adding much to the scene. And thank you Terrie for a theme which was instantly fulfilled (and I’m still re-reading and finding further inspiration, except I can’t get my head around irony)
-
Terrie replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Thank you Jill, Sandra and Libby for giving me totally engaging entries composed in three distinct voices. This monthly challenge is always a great showcase for the talents of the members of Den of Writers.
Jill:- Lots of new beginnings in this piece. New start new job new house new baby. A well-crafted thoughtful story with lots o…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Just a reminder that there is less that a week until the the January comp ends and there are only a couple of entries so far . If you have something you think will fit the fairly broad remit of the theme then do please submit it .
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I know that feeling. I was also a government employee who found himself parcelled up and sold to the highest bidder, or at least the one that made the most empty promises and said the things that our betters at the high table wanted to hear. I recall now how our managers queued up to tell us what a good thing it was and, yes, they used that exact…[Read more]
-
John T replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
We must venture that way. We’re at the other side of Bannau Brycheiniog near Abergavenny.
-
John T posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Happy fairly-new-year, everyone! I’ve written very little in the last three months for health reasons, but I’m slowly winding back up again. I’ve found a (hopefully acceptable) way to take part in September Song, and I’m returning to blow the dust and cobwebs off my WIP.
-
Sandra replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months ago
Fingers crossed, yet another resolution
New book and a new – and very welcome – experience for me: a “How To” write book received as a birthday present which I found many times more compelling, educational; entertaining and personally useful than the many “How To” books on writing I own: a dozen on my bookshelves, and knowledge of one di…[Read more]
-
Terrie started the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months ago
As January is the start of the New Year my obvious thought was New year – new beginnings – but then I thought let’s widen that theme of ‘New’, so write about anything new that motivates, or perhaps daunts, you, or the main character/s of your story.
Think….New Year resolution. New crime scene. New house. New relationship. New…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months ago
Well done Jill, Janette and Sandra , December comps always seem to be more of a challenge as most of us usually busy with other things.
Thank you for the chance to set the January comp Ath.
Sorry was busy yesterday and forgot to pop in to see the results . I will post the January challenge as soon as I come up with one . …[Read more]
- Load More
