-
Kate replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI’m with you on all that @Raine.
-
Kate replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 6 years, 11 months ago
Here is the link to the Corrugated Sky Urban Fantasy book my short story Changing Gabe is included in. Some of you will have come across it in Athelstone’s Room with a View writing challenge at the beginning of the year.
The theme for the anthology was Sass and Magic. If that tickles your fancy, I hope you will go and take a look.
It feels a bit…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoI enjoyed the Burroway chapter. There were lots of great suggestions to kick start ideas and, like Woolleybeans, I think I shall have to summarise them before they slip away. I’ve seen free writing suggested many times but never tried it. Perhaps now is the time to give it a go.
I struggled to understand the gorgeousness of the pieces in the Le…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Class 1: Writing Exercise, Raine. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 11 months agoWhat a fab idea to use the I remember exercise to find a character’s voice. I shall do that in future. Your ‘I remember’ is very lovely and conjures up so many scenes and senses. It needed several reads to take it all in.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Lost and Found and Lost
Arthur was rooting through a drawer in the garage, the one reserved for plumbing parts, searching for a tap washer. His gnarled hands scrabbled through off-cuts of plastic water pipe, white nylon fittings, a flushing mechanism still in its packaging, old tobacco tins holding copper olives, bolts, nuts and split pins. No…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThanks, Wooleybeans, this is all looking great. Just waiting on the books before digging in.
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI should have ordered mine earlier, but they’re on the way now.
-
Libby replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
I very much like your story, Ath, exactly because of the problems you comment on. The twist worked really well for me, and I often don’t really enjoy such stories because the twist feels tacked on. This one, though, feels integral to what’s gone before. I also enjoyed it as a horror story but that was secondary for me. I could be over analysing…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoGreat analysis @woolleybeans. Thanks for the work. I’d better go get those books.
-
Kate replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Fabulous Elle – well done.
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI agree with Bella that a bit of structure would be nice. It would give me a bit of a push to get going. I also think feedback is invaluable and am always willing to try and supply some.
-
Libby posted an update 7 years ago
I’d recommend How Not to Write a Novel to anyone. It’s helpful and very funny. However the lack of index is annoying, unless newer editions have one.
-
PS the author’s new novel has had rave reviews too.
-
That was the first book about writing I ever read – bought it for my daughter – and one of the very, very few whose advice I remember well enough to follow.
-
Me too. Is that because it also pointed out how writing could go horribly wrong? I remember, ‘Wearing only his underpants, she watched her boyfriend swim across the lake.’ :-))
-
It’s all the substitute for ‘he said that so resonated with me.
-
Oh, yes.
‘Funny?’ she interrogated.
‘Hilarious!’ he expostulated.
‘Surely not!’ she declared.
‘But how to you know?’ he exclaimed.
‘Says you!’ she objected.
‘That’s the last thing I’m willing to say,’ he concluded.And that’s just some of them.
-
I love the book. It was reassuring to see mistakes I knew I was avoiding – and be gently reminded of some that I WAS making, without realising!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoA daunting amount of material, but nobody said writing would be easy.
Thanks for setting this up Raine. -
-
Kate replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
‘Step do Grave’ was definitely after the distillery! 🙂
-
Kate replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Thanks everyone. I’m still floating around in the clouds. Hopefully at the end of the month I will be able to put up a link so you can take a look. 🙂
-
Libby replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Yippee! Brilliant! Fab! I’m so pleased.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Brilliant, Kate. Well done!
-
Kate started the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years ago
I’ve just received an e-mail saying I was awarded first place in the Jersey Festival of Words flash fiction competition! I’m bouncing off the walls!
I get to go to a ceremony and everything! I’ll just add a few more of these !!!!!! to show how excited I am. It’s lovely to have a little success in the sea of rejections!!
- Load More
