Daedalus

  • The only issue with doing multiple units is that we could end up with people later on having no buddies to do that unit with? I’d rather it was ‘organised’ in that there’s a definite time for each unit to be completed over, simply because that means I can be more disciplined about an approach, rather than wondering what’s on and whether I want to…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago

    Tick tock! Songs of Innocence & Experience.

  • Yeah, the time commitment/coordination is the challenge with something like this. I’ve been thinking about how it might work, having jumped in enthusiastically without doing any thinking first! I guess for me, the best way seems to be to look at it as a series of group exercises, rather than a whole MA.

    Maybe the way to do it would be if someone…[Read more]

  • Squidge posted an update 7 years ago

    Just a reminder that there’s a week to go for September’s monthly competition…and for you to prove to me that ‘beige ain’t boring!’

    • Libby replied 7 years ago

      I’m sorry I’m having to pass on this one Squidge. Combination of holiday and having work done at home. I did like your paint chart idea for prompts.

      • No worries – I know September’s busy for most folk, especially after York. Mean I won’t have such a difficult decision judging 😉

  • KazG posted an update in the group Group logo of Songs of Innocence and ExperienceSongs of Innocence and Experience 7 years ago

    Albany, Western Australia
    Jez, female
    Tea

    • Raine replied 7 years ago

      This needs to go in the Choices topic thread, else it’ll get lost. :-0

  • Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago

    Well, here I am looking out at the Haymarket tram stop in Edinburgh from a cosy AirBnB. It would have been nice to catch up with local Denizens but I have my family with me and it’s been a packed weekend around a family wedding so not much opportunity. Flying back to Sussex by the Sea later this PM so won’t be feeling much like doing responsible…[Read more]

  • If I do commit to this, I would definitely prefer group interaction, including giving and receiving feedback. It’s true, though, that co-ordinating timing for a group, over two years, will be tricky.

  • JaneShuff posted an update 7 years ago

    Every single person in my novel is caucasian (which is a serious problem)and I want to introduce a character who isn’t but I’m absolutely terrified of getting it wrong. He’ll play neither a big nor a stereotypical role and I don’t want his enthnicity to be any more of a thing that another character’s hair colour and Scottish accent. Any pointers?…[Read more]

    • Libby replied 7 years ago

      Hi Jane, you don’t say where your setting is but for the UK you can give him a non Caucasian name and that will be sufficient?

    • @janeshuff, my book is full of varied ethnicity because of the region I’ve set it in. To help, I have gone with what I know. First, I looked at who I knew personally, who might help me factually. Secondly, people I know or have known more remotely, have inspired other characters and I took notes of what I remembered about them. In addition, I s…[Read more]

    • I’m inclined towards Libby’s way. You’re not out to solve the problems of a multiracial society, so if you start planting hints and plot devices then you’ll end up with the author waving at the readers.

      • Hi Jane, You can tie yourself in knots, trying to be PC and non-culturally appropriative (if that’s a word: it is now) and not offend anybody. I read an article a while ago, suggesting that if you have a walk-on part using someone called ‘Steve’, change his name to ‘Sanjay’ and leave it at that. i.e. doing just what Steve did with Steve’s joys and…[Read more]

  • I agree with Bella that a bit of structure would be nice. It would give me a bit of a push to get going. I also think feedback is invaluable and am always willing to try and supply some.

  • Libby posted an update 7 years ago

    I’d recommend How Not to Write a Novel to anyone. It’s helpful and very funny. However the lack of index is annoying, unless newer editions have one.

    • Libby replied 7 years ago

      PS the author’s new novel has had rave reviews too.

    • That was the first book about writing I ever read – bought it for my daughter – and one of the very, very few whose advice I remember well enough to follow.

      • Libby replied 7 years ago

        Me too. Is that because it also pointed out how writing could go horribly wrong? I remember, ‘Wearing only his underpants, she watched her boyfriend swim across the lake.’ :-))

        • It’s all the substitute for ‘he said that so resonated with me.

          • Libby replied 7 years ago

            Oh, yes.
            ‘Funny?’ she interrogated.
            ‘Hilarious!’ he expostulated.
            ‘Surely not!’ she declared.
            ‘But how to you know?’ he exclaimed.
            ‘Says you!’ she objected.
            ‘That’s the last thing I’m willing to say,’ he concluded.

            And that’s just some of them.

            • I love the book. It was reassuring to see mistakes I knew I was avoiding – and be gently reminded of some that I WAS making, without realising!

  • Squidge posted an update in the group Group logo of Andrew Wille’s DIY MA courseAndrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years ago

    Been checking out the required texts… I’m getting a bit bogged down in Sin and Syntax, (for saying the author’s currently talking about brevity, she’s going the long way round to say a lot of it!) but Writing Fiction looks easier to read. Bird by Bird’s one of my most accessible reads (was given it as a gift some years ago), and I’d add How Not…[Read more]

  • Squidge posted an update in the group Group logo of Andrew Wille’s DIY MA courseAndrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years ago

    Willing to have a go at this… Not sure how it’ll be structured in terms of posting – presumably a new forum for each unit, with each person posting within the forum? Hope it’s pretty clear, as I ‘lose’ threads so often!

  • I sort of assumed we might work through each unit on the Craft Seminar as a group, posting exercises for comment the same way we did on the Self-Edit course when I did it. I find the structure of a timetable (however gentle and slow it is) works better for me.

    What does everyhbody else feel?

  • Hi Jane, do we need a common start time as it’s a DIY course? I imagine it would be nice/useful to have people at roughly the same stage, for support and encouragement, but real life and so on.

  • Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago

    URGENT!!! The weekend approaches. If you wish to enter the challenge “Songs of Innocence and Experience” then you only have until Tuesday at 22:00 to join the eponymous group and make your choices.

    MORE IMPORTANT STILL there are several Denizens who have joined the group but have yet to POST their choices. You must both join AND post to be in…[Read more]

    • PS I’m travelling around until Monday PM (family wedding) so probably won’t be able to answer questions until then.

  • Yes, just been on Amazon to have a look. There’s a revised edition of Bird by Bird due out in January. Do you have any thoughts when we might start? I’d quite like to save some money by having books delivered to the UK and getting visitors in mid October or end of November to bring them over to France and I’ll need to get a move on for mid…[Read more]

  • Load More