@daisydown
Active 6 years, 11 months ago-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Okay Sea, that ‘honesty snagged my conscience:
The last time I cried was as I attempted to sleep, having earlier been admitted to hospital after my husband Steve correctly diagnosed the oddness of my being unable to control my fingers, while doing the Saturday General Knowledge as potentially a stroke. Quoting ‘FAST’, he did everything right…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 1 year, 2 months ago
It’s that time again. If anybody feels inclined, please take a glance at the Donations Group. If you aren’t a member of the group, you’ll need to join to see the forum, but that doesn’t commit you to anything.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
<p style=”text-align: right;”>Sorry Sea, I’ve been racking my brain (while fighting off Ken Dodd and attempting to pack for some days in the Hebrides) but am totally bereft of words about tears.</p>
-
RichardB posted an update 1 year, 2 months ago
Finest line of dialogue I’ve encountered for some time. From The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, by Natasha Pulley:
‘What does a clockwork octopus in an elevator shaft sound like?’ -
Athelstone replied to the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 2 months ago
William James seems like an interesting man. He’s an example of something less common these days, a polymath. He studied widely across medicine and philosophy, developing expertise in both fields so that he taught physiology, psychology and philosophy (at different times) at Harvard, whilest finding time for an apprenticeship as a painter, and…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Oh, hooray, and congratulations @ Seagreen, but similarly to all for a varied and thought-provoking selection of ‘last times’. Thank you too Ath for the prompt – a subject which I ponder increasingly frequently.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Bumper crop springs to mind, but the cliché is wrong because these stories didn’t just spring up, they were all lovingly made by hand.
Janette’s story reminds us of the way that roles are exchanged as age demands. More than this, it reminds us that life is full of last moments each important and deserving of attention and memory. There is a wist…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Any more takers? Last chance today. That could be the subject.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 3 months ago
Jill, it’s so good to hear from you again, in spite of what you’ve been, and are, going through.
I think any response that isn’t on a level with your own experience of positivity is likely to sound trivial, or at least less significant. But it is a fascinating topic. It’s often said that realists have a less positive expectation of outcome, but…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Two fabulous stories and still half of the month to try your hand. What luck!
-
RichardB replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
You’re not actually the person I was referring to when I said I knew I was preaching to the converted. Quite often people reply to these Literary Byways blogs saying they’re going to read the book concerned on my recommendation, but this is the first time I’ve had feedback on that, and I’m delighted that you share my enthusiasm for Pavane.
As for…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
It was, and still is, a very good blog indeed. I remember it well, and on the strength of your recommendation I bought Pavane. It is a unique book, with an extraordinary atmosphere. Since reading it I’ve returned many times to check on parts and to reread. It really is remarkable that it isn’t better known. It’s somewhat depressing that a book so…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
It has occurred to me that this occasional series is incomplete without the piece that started it all off, which was posted back in the old days on the Word Cloud. Some may remember it; some may not. And in one case I know I’m preaching to the converted…
In 1983, on a commission from a Japanese publisher, the novelist and critic Anthony (A…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
It’s been on my mind that during this month I will begin the last year of my sixth decade. The topic this month is the last of something. So, whatever that suggests to you, good, bad, indifferent, in a maximum of 500 words.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
When I say that I seriously didn’t think I’d win – I mean it. There was a fistful of really great entries. Thanks to Janette for the prompt and to my co-entrants for some great entertainment.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations Athelstone, and thanks to Terrie, Sea and Libby for their responses to Janette’s May challenge – all so entertaining – and for the summing up.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
May
The cactus on the table, out there on the decking, it’s gone mad. Look there are four new paddle things growing off it. Mr Hoskins from next door says they’re called “cladodes”. He should know, seeing as he’s a botanist or something at the college. It’s a modified stem, apparently, which serves the function of a leaf. He came over for a cup o…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Lyrical determination (thin on legend)
2001, around eleven, on the first day of May, lying on a sun-striped bed in an attic studio, John Martyn exhorted, ‘May you never’, in a voice fluffy and worn as the sheet beneath them and a saxophone further ramped up lust while Fran Lloyd satisfactorily surrendered her virginity to Ivo Kinnersley. Ivo,…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition April 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Oh BOTHER! So sorry, Libby. I confess I found the prompt a little tricky, but I was getting the start of an idea. Then I got myself involved with something and forgot all about it.
Well done to all three entrants, especially Janette. I liked the stories very much.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition April 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 5 months ago
Well done Janette for and Seagreen for such entertaining tales, and thank you Libby for forcing me into finding new characters to deal with this tricky prompt. I was grateful for the part played by Google.
- Load More
