@debi
Active 6 years, 7 months ago-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
A ‘critical reading course’ sounds exactly what I need, (and I’ve a couple of books on the course list) but despite several books on ‘How to’, and the Future Learn course using the James Tait Black shortlists, I’ve realised my brain doesn’t work that way. Hope you get what you want from it. I’ve several books from the Festival added to my…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
That’s brilliant, Sandra. I still have a couple of books on my TBR list from last year’s festival.
In the end I didn’t sign up for this year’s Edinburgh events as I diverted my money to doing the School — Galley Beggar Press critical reading course.
-
Libby replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you for a fascinating blog, Richard.
I don’t know that things improved when coal was nationalised. The Aberfan disaster suggests not but I don’t know the details. It seems that in general workers in all industries had to wait for health and safety legislation and that the general public sill has a long road ahead of applying pressure when…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Edinburgh book festival 2022 programme in the forum Coffee Shop 4 years, 1 month ago
And now that Edinburgh’s book festival is over, I need to thank you again for the heads up – so many hours of pleasure, not to say inspiration.
-
Knicks replied to the topic How to reach out to a speculative fiction editor? in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 4 years, 1 month ago
Thank you both, @richardb and @katemachon; Kate, the info on your process, experience and end results was especially illuminating. Thanks so much! ✨
-
Daedalus replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
I was just reading up on Gresford following this and noticed one striking coincidence. The name of an MP who castigated the mine’s management during a debate in parliament following the inquiry’s mealy-mouthed conclusions:
David Grenfell…
-
RichardB replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
And thank you too, Seagreen.
For those of you who are interested enough to look up that song lyric, I should explain the significance of that line ‘Down there in the dark they are lying.’ On the grounds that conditions were too dangerous for any further rescue work, the controversial decision was taken to permanently seal the affected part of the…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago
An apology to some of the more active users of this site. The absolute last thing we need is your posts going astray, but that has happened. A while back we had some anti-spam software that blocked posts with internet links embedded, but this has been removed. Unfortunately, unknown to us, the same function is buried in the very plug-in that…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Film, storytelling – psychic distance again – and looking under the bonnet in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
Just come across this while procrastinating and would firstly say I found it fascinating. I know I lack analytical skills and rarely watch films, finding them lacking compared to books, so your post, Daeds, and subsequent comments, have opened my eyes to a new way of viewing – I’ll come back and re-read several times more – so thank you.
-
Janette replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoRough Lee
No there is not.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoHaving a love story already bubbling in my head, I need to change my choice of place to Yarm, but will stick (in finger-crossed ignorance) to ‘Yes there is’.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
You have a calm, authoratative voice that is perfect for these blogs, Richard. I start one of these and it’s like eating something delicious: I can’t stop until it’s finished.
On the topic itself: it’s reassuring to think that we’ve come a long way since those unreconstructed days of holy capital. Then I consider the unreported disaster that has…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – August 2022 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 years, 1 month ago
Change for the better?
I was born in Dovercourt, Essex, in my paternal grandparent’s house, to which they’d moved when my father was five years old. He, being still in the RAF was told of my arrival by telegram. The house was small; too small for five adults (my father’s sister lived there too) and baby, but we lived there for several years…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic The Price of Coal: Senghenydd, 1913 in the forum Blogs 4 years, 1 month ago
At 8.00am on the morning of 14 October 1913 the mining village of Senghenydd (Seng-HEN-uth, hard s as in sip, soft th as in clothes), about four miles north-west of Caerphilly, was going about its business as usual. At the Universal Colliery the men of the early shift were underground and had been for two hours or more. The night shift men, who…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoMy choices, courtesy of Jules (on my behalf)
Town: Old Sodbury
Choice: No there isn’t
-
Jules replied to the topic Choices in the forum
All You Need 4 years, 1 month agoTown – Droop
Choice – yes there is
-
-
-
-
- Load More
