@debi
Active 6 years, 7 months ago-
Sandra replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 1 day, 11 hours ago
Easy peasy
Yesterday evening, me in mindless mood, scrolling between television programmes, and phone an Instagram a reel came up, featuring the ever- crumpled face of Mick Jagger. He answering some question about song writing, where he got his inspiration from.
His ‘Everywhere! -Sometimes I only have to look out the window –‘ spanne…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 days, 13 hours ago
Thank you @Athelstone , and thanks also to Jill, Sandra and Seagreen for kind and encouraging comments.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 4 hours ago
I’m not surprise your story was picked @Libby, it was really top notch piece of writing.
Thanks for the theme, @Seagreen. It certainly made me think hard!
-
Libby replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 11 hours ago
That’s 31st October!
-
Libby started the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 11 hours ago
For the October competition please write on any theme and include in your story two or more of the following words:
Uniform (as a noun or adjective)
Cumulus
Television
Mood
Spanner
500 words max, deadline midnight October 31<sup>st</sup>
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 11 hours ago
Thank you @Seagreen ! The prompt was a challenge, in a good way, and I’m very pleased to have been picked from such a strong collection of stories.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 days, 14 hours ago
I was pleased to have my mind returned to the time I effortlessly wrote dark, so thank you for this, challenge, Sea, ad well as all the contributors – entertaining every one, but I confess to especially enjoying Libby’s contempt for the policeman.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 days, 23 hours ago
Read the others. Wow what hides under the surface!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week ago
Body of evidence.
It’s not as though this is the first body I’ve seen, and it’s not as though this is the first person I’ve killed. As a death it was unremarkable: quick, expected, and I imagine she knew nothing about it. A clean shot through the back of the head in mid-conversation. Only a few of my targets have been so lucky, but my intenti…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week, 3 days ago
Care Package
450 words
Her brother and she were the youngest of five, he the youngest of all.
‘Follow me!’ he called, pedalling hard. To keep up, when he was eight and she nine, stole her breath. Also, there were more interesting things to do: reading a book, doing piano practice. Soul-bolstering things. Becoming your own person.
Ahead, her…[Read more]
-
Libby started the topic Edinburgh Book Festival 2026 videos in the forum Coffee Shop 3 weeks, 4 days ago
Videos of author talks at this year’s Edinburgh International Book Festival are available on demand
https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/on-demand
-
Thanks for the link, Libby. I was pleased to see that although they accept donations, which is brilliant, the videos are available for free. Since I suspect the principal audience is likely to be writers this reflects an understanding of just how low the median income from our beloved interest really is. Latest figures show a median income for…[Read more]
-
Yes, the Edinburgh book fest does live video broadcasts too which people can watch free or on a pay-what-you-can-afford basis. Most events aren’t videoed – the festival is massive. I’m not sure about the principal audience. I’ve never attended in person. My guess is that there are a lot of targets, from school children (there’s a big children’s…[Read more]
-
-
-
John T posted an update 4 weeks ago
Hello all. I hope you’ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I’ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of mine called One Kiss, back in WordCloud days. Well, it became a novel called A Policy on Kissing that was longlisted for the Bath Novel Award in 2016, but…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Episode from long-running tale ‘The Blacksmith’s wife’
Kick a corpse to life and you’ll inevitably disturb carrion.
Tao knew this but only recalled it on attempting to leave his inn-room. The body that had earlier impeded his exit messenger for the man whose name Tao had evoked in hope of boosting his financial standing, believing those who…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
The original idea came from Harry Bingham on the WordCloud, who presented a bottle of something similar to Champagne as a prize each month. When it began to fall apart it was taken up by Wrathnar the Unreasonable (sans Champagne) and then by the winner of the competition each month.
It was adopted by the Den when the Cloud finally closed
-
Athelstone started the topic The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 1 month ago
The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition is Now Open!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Great monthly comp, Libby. And a well-deserved win for Seagreen.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Thanks Libby for the prompt and your kind words. Only as I finished writing my entry did I recall the only holiday spent with my parents was in 1973 , after chld#3 born. It was NOT a success (and Dovercourt still feels like home)
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
I realised after I pressed send that the POVs of your three characters responded to the three possible POVs I’d put in my comp task. Neat!
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
As befits pieces about holidays and sea, all this month’s entries evoked a sense of place and, in their different ways, the rituals of leaving home for time away.
A lovely interweaving of different memories focused on the annual seaside holiday. Your depictions are very atmospheric, such as, “We would stand in the corridor and e…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
John on holiday
John.
This is the strangest holiday ever. Chris should have been here. She even did all the bookings for us, and now I have to explain to everybody why it’s only me. The weather is perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. She’d have loved it—walking along the coast, looking down on the seabird colonies. Salt, warm seaweed on the narro…[Read more]
- Load More
