@elle
Active 6 years, 3 months ago-
Sandra posted an update 3 years ago
Version #4, snappier start, 6 characters, 682 words but not a clue what is going to be “done” to start anyone wondering “who?” I’ll be in Australia for four weeks – thank goodness the deadline is February.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – October 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
I’m not at all sure I’ve fully adhered to the brief, but this scraping of possibilities from my current wip is the best I can do, before I leave the country 😉
Scene:
Need for a wee had Lucy check the time. Half ten. She’d been lying in her bed for more than two hours. Not moved since she’d taken refuge. Since hearing the click of the stre…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – October 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Oh, EXCELLENT idea Sea – 0nly problem now, which do I choose??
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Yes, I’ve got ??? : -)
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Congratulations @ Seagreen, and thank you Squidge for prompt words, comments and competition – a lot of fascinating uses of the three words.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Wowser…spoilt for choice! Thank you all for taking my three little words and turning them into lots of great stories. As always, the three objects were used in very different and clever ways. So…
Sandra – there’s something about a pipe-smoking detective, isn’t there? Lovely piece, with the rat almost in the trap until the detective took his…[Read more]
-
Squidge posted an update 3 years ago
aaargh! Apologies, such a busy day at church yesterday, totally forgot I needed to judge the comp! Am on it now…
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
A great batch of entries. Sadly, my good idea didn’t finally coalesce until I was dozing off last night.
-
Squidge posted an update 3 years ago
Only a few days left to get something into the monthly comp… Looking forward to reading the entries!
-
Janette posted an update 3 years ago
Joined @johnt3 in giving BlueSky a go. Looking forward to finding more familiar faces there, but I haven’t much to report on yet. My book 2 (way off finishing its rewrite) needs to be closer to ready before I consider which way to get book 1 published. Black dog keeps sitting on my keyboard.
-
There are an increasing number of us there, including a fair few from the Den.
-
Janette, do you mean a real black dog, or black dog in the metaphorical sense?
-
Metaphorical – though just as pesky and stubborn.
-
I know that black dog. It’s hard to shove it out of the way, sometimes. Big cwtches from Wales x
-
Thanks, John. Big Yorkshire hugs right back atcha x
-
🙂
-
-
-
Sorry to hear it. It is remarkably adept at confounding all good intentions to write.
-
Thanks, Ath. Yes, writing and reading both confounded. It feels like a midge infestation in my head when I try to take things in or concentrate further than one page. Hopefully, I’ll overpower IT sooner rather than later.
-
My usual remedy for reading problems is to read children’s books. I read a lot – they’re my therapy.
-
-
-
-
-
I hope life becomes easier, Janette.
-
Thanks, Libby. Here’s hoping x
-
@johnt3 Good idea. Some of my favourites are children’s books.
-
-
-
-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
The proof copy of my novel has arrived. This is getting scarily real!
-
Woohoo! Exciting as well as scary, I hope.
-
Yep.
-
-
Must feel wonderful, John. It’s been a long trip!
-
It certainly has. I began writing seriously in 2004, at the age of 50.
-
I can see some similarities there. I started around then as well. You were a couple of years ahead of me on the age front, but it seems we picked up our pen and paper about the same time.
-
Not exactly surprising, given the similarities between our writing, but interesting.
-
Mind you, I’m still puffing away a good stretch back from the finish line 🙂
-
I’ll be cheering you on!
-
-
-
-
-
Woohoo! Can’t wait for my copy.
-
Being the the most amazing beta-reader, your copy will appear before I publish it. Pre-publication copies are currently at the printers.
-
-
-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
Any of you guys on BlueSky? I’ve found Raine and Athelstone. I’m @johnunworded.bsky.social
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Strange tastes
Â
Oh, I did miss my Bert. Watching him through the window, wheelbarrow-in-hand, shaping our garden into all sorts of strangeness: gaudy, modern art in bloom.
Me, I preferred order. Neatness. A little chintz perhaps; a Capo Di Monte on the sideboard. ‘Let go, Pammy! Unstiffen your lip,’ Bert would say while waltzing me roun…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
Yes, thank you, Sandra, for a prompt which took me on a tangent I quite enjoyed!
And congratulations, Squidge. Well deserved!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
“Stealing and giving odour “ [Twelfth Night]
From my very first whiff of the pipe tobacco I was a sucker for the scent of Balkan Sobranie. Given its name, thirteen-year-old imagination conjured red-jacketed hunters chasing yellow-eyed wolves through night forests. My Dad’s dour, ‘Four Square far cheaper,’ confirmed its blend  of leaves — Latakia…[Read more]
-
Barny replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoThe feeling is mutual.
-
Thea replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoReading
Knife
Serious
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoMarvellous to see you here, Barny.Â
-
Barny replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoThanks for organising this, Ath.
I really really intend to actually submit something this year.
- Load More
