@elle
Active 6 years, 3 months ago-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly Competion – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year ago
(Untitled, 394 words)
The book was finished, the story told. But more importantly, the truth laid bare. Every pocket dimension of past trauma exorcised. Every chapter of his life stamped adult, checked as complete. Every fragment of what it meant to be human sorted and struck through.
Now was a new time. A beginning time. Time to rejoin the…[Read more]
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
Only two entries, as Athelstone rightly points out, but both were a joy insofar as they echoed some of my experiences. Like Jill, Steve and I were but 16 and eighteen – me young enough to be banned from going on the back of his motorbike, but after four years of ‘going steady’, when Steve asked my Dad for, permission to marry me his response…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
Only two entries, as Athelstone rightly points out, but both were a joy insofar as they echoed some of my experiences. Like Jill, Steve and I were but sixteen and eighteen – me young enough to be banned from going on the back of his motorbike, but after four years of ‘going steady’, when Steve asked my Dad for, permission to marry me his respo…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
Aargh – busy weekend filled with grandchildren visits and attempts to add names to a 1905 photo of a Christmas celebration family history question. I’ll get to reading and deciding ASAP.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
Here I am, racked with guilt. I did sit down a couple of times to write an entry, but it just wouldn’t come. I had an idea yesterday that I liked, and it may end up as a scene in the WIP, but I had so much going on I couldn’t manage it. Apologies, it’s a fascinating idea and I should have done something. However, you have two very good entries to…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
@ Libby: Sorry not be reading an entry from you, but fully sympathise with lack of time.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago
Pretty much, these days.
Most of the pubs I’ve loved are long closed now. The Railway Hotel in Newbury where I first tasted Morland bitter at the grand old age of 15 (just). At 12p per pint even I could afford it. Then there was the Cambridge in Cambridge Circus. To be fair, the beer was dreadful – so bad that I drank bottled lager mainly – but…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago
Sounds glorious.
Just had a short break in France where nearly all the draft beer is lager style, with the exception of a few unpleasantly-sweet dark beers. To be fair, some of the lighter ones are drinkable, especially if it’s a hot day – which it usually is.
All this talk of real ale reminds me of that magical moment when you enter a…[Read more]
-
Sandra posted an update 1 year, 1 month ago
Ten days left to write 500 words about a first time meeting with in-laws (and follow a link to a brilliantly vivid account of Liz Lochead’s experience)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago
Oh for a decent pub nearby. There used to be a decent pub only a few hundred yards away from me. It was always The George as it stood by a roundabout on Worthing’s George V Avenue. A couple of years ago it was acquired by the Toby Carvery group. I see that they claim to serve real ale now, but I did try to beers they offered a few times and I…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 1 month ago
The Woman Whose Nose Pointed North
I had already met my mother-in-law, years earlier, not that I could have known. We had moved onto a still-being-built estate, the house across from ours taken by a large family. So many children were a draw for a five-year-old girl and her brother.
The children, I remember, seemed friendly. Not so the…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Well done, Sandra! And thank you for the prompt, Seagreen. As ever, some fine entries.
-
Sandra started the topic Monthly competition August 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
As usual, I began my search for inspiration by looking through my collection of charity shop-acquired poetry books, although ‘Intimate expanses’, a collection of Scottish poems published 1978-2002, in which I found Liz Lockhead’s ‘My Rival’s house’ was a first purchase from Carcanet. It details a vivid account of a first meeting with a future…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Thank you, Sea, for the challenge and for the kind words. Congratulations, Sandra, your words clearly came from the heart and made you a worthy winner.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Have to say I am astonished to be chosen, Sea – and grateful, despite feeling that I fell far short of ‘enthralling’ in comparison to those far more apt which were posted, and made impressive reading. Also, following what has been something of a let-down day, this was a welcome cheering, so thank you for that. I’ll aim to post August’s…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Teabreak tells it straight
I have been known to buff the truth a little, just to get a sparkle when a story is recounted. And if that helps somebody see the finer details a little more clearly, then who am I to deny them the opportunity? However, just as experts say we should resist the call of Mr. Sheen and microfibre when rare treasures are at…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 1 year, 2 months ago
I haven’t been around (apart from a flying visit to Janette last week) but much is happening. I’m still ploughing through the first draft of book three – almost there. And Apples in the Dark 2: Angels and Blackbirds is now out in the wild, and available to order through any bookshop (please – I make a loss on every copy sold through Amazon). Sum…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – July 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 2 months ago
Okay Sea, that ‘honesty snagged my conscience:
The last time I cried was as I attempted to sleep, having earlier been admitted to hospital after my husband Steve correctly diagnosed the oddness of my being unable to control my fingers, while doing the Saturday General Knowledge as potentially a stroke. Quoting ‘FAST’, he did everything right…[Read more]
-
Janette posted an update in the group
DONATIONS 1 year, 2 months agoPresuming your details haven’t changed since last time, I hope you will find my £20 donation in your bank. Hope you find the rest.
- Load More
