@hilary
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Seagreen replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 1 day, 2 hours ago
337 words (inc. the title) and I managed ‘mood’ and ‘uniform’
FREEDOM JONES; AN INTRODUCTION
He remembered a time when he had been ordinary; when he had played with the other boys. A time when he ran, fought, laughed, and scraped knees with the other boys. When they had climbed trees and stolen fruit and snatched apple scones from the kitchen…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 3 days, 1 hour ago
Easy peasy
Yesterday evening, me in mindless mood, scrolling between television programmes, and phone an Instagram a reel came up, featuring the ever- crumpled face of Mick Jagger. He answering some question about song writing, where he got his inspiration from.
His ‘Everywhere! -Sometimes I only have to look out the window –‘ spanne…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 5 days, 4 hours ago
488 words excluding title
FICKLE HEART
The small fluffy Cumulus clouds at dawn had promised a fine day, but by eight o’clock they’d grown into dark, lowering beasts threatening a thunderstorm ahead. I resigned myself to a day indoors and this did nothing to improve the already black mood that had descended the night before when I received th…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 days, 18 hours ago
I’m not surprise your story was picked @Libby, it was really top notch piece of writing.
Thanks for the theme, @Seagreen. It certainly made me think hard!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 days, 4 hours ago
I was pleased to have my mind returned to the time I effortlessly wrote dark, so thank you for this, challenge, Sea, ad well as all the contributors – entertaining every one, but I confess to especially enjoying Libby’s contempt for the policeman.
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 days, 4 hours ago
No need for apologies, Seagreen – I’m sure we all understand the delay. You set an intriguing challenge and have given a comprehensive and thoughtful judgment on each darkly intriguing entry. I loved all the others and echo the reasons you have expressed.
Congratulations, Libby. Well deserved. As I read, I could almost feel myself in the cha…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 days, 6 hours ago
Thank you for indulging me with these entries and apologies once again for being so late with the results.
@Jill: you gave me exactly what I asked for – an insight into the mind of a killer – in this case, a victim of domestic abuse who was finally pushed too far. Your words paint a quiet picture of an unseen tempest.
@Sandra: Your words pai…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week ago
Apologies, all. Just home from work and, while the mind is willing, the body is most definitely wrecked. It’ll be tomorrow before I get a chance to read the entries.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week, 1 day ago
Read the others. Wow what hides under the surface!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 week, 1 day ago
Body of evidence.
It’s not as though this is the first body I’ve seen, and it’s not as though this is the first person I’ve killed. As a death it was unremarkable: quick, expected, and I imagine she knew nothing about it. A clean shot through the back of the head in mid-conversation. Only a few of my targets have been so lucky, but my intenti…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Hello all. I hope you’ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I’ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of mine called One Kiss, back in WordCloud days. Well, it became a novel called A Policy on Kissing that was longlisted for the Bath Novel Award in 2016, but…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month ago
Episode from long-running tale ‘The Blacksmith’s wife’
Kick a corpse to life and you’ll inevitably disturb carrion.
Tao knew this but only recalled it on attempting to leave his inn-room. The body that had earlier impeded his exit messenger for the man whose name Tao had evoked in hope of boosting his financial standing, believing those who…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
(Certainly stretched and apologies for one fleeting mention of blood!)
444 words excluding title
Behind Closed Doors
Neighbours stood around gawking. I saw them from the window as I stood handcuffed to a policeman.
Our quiet cul de sac was a scene of mayhem with ambulance and police cars; blue lights flashing.
The paramedics stretchered him…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
Thank you, Athelstone. It has come back to me now and I probably did enter the Word Cloud ones. Wrathner was a lovely member, but it all seems so long ago…. Glad The Den took up the idea.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
The original idea came from Harry Bingham on the WordCloud, who presented a bottle of something similar to Champagne as a prize each month. When it began to fall apart it was taken up by Wrathnar the Unreasonable (sans Champagne) and then by the winner of the competition each month.
It was adopted by the Den when the Cloud finally closed
-
Athelstone started the topic The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 1 month, 1 week ago
The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition is Now Open!
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
Yes! I did mean to say the medals included Libby who prompted us so well in the heat of 2026 August! Encouragement…
For me, these monthly competitions have been ensuring those writerly muscles are kept in peak condition and other writing has emerged too, so thank you to whoever dreamt up the idea! -
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
Great monthly comp, Libby. And a well-deserved win for Seagreen.
-
Seagreen started the topic Monthly Comp – September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
I don’t know if anyone remembers one of FergC’s challenges on the Cloud when he asked us to get in touch with our darker writing selves and be the villain? I hated it. Sobbed as I wrote, in fact, but my goodness I was stretched by it and just a tiny bit shocked at how wicked I could be.
I hope to stretch you now…
There’s a body.
Whether…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 month, 1 week ago
Thanks for the prompt Libby. It seems to have been an age since I tested the writerly muscles…
And I second Jill’s call for virtual medals all round! 🙂
- Load More
