<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rss version="2.0"
	xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"
	xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
	xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
	xmlns:slash="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/slash/"
	>

<channel>
	<title>Den of Writers | Hilary | Friends Activity</title>
	<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/members/hilary/activity/friends/</link>
	<atom:link href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/hilary/activity/friends/feed/" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" />
	<description>Activity feed for Hilary&#039;s friends.</description>
	<lastBuildDate>Fri, 09 Oct 2026 08:16:12 +0000</lastBuildDate>
	<generator>https://buddypress.org/?v=</generator>
	<language>en-GB</language>
	<ttl>30</ttl>
	<sy:updatePeriod>hourly</sy:updatePeriod>
	<sy:updateFrequency>2</sy:updateFrequency>
	
						<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">fba9ad2f5b1dffe520c4b42ce5f423c9</guid>
				<title>Seagreen replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18028</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 08 Oct 2026 09:31:26 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>337 words (inc. the title) and I managed &#8216;mood&#8217; and &#8216;uniform&#8217;</p>
<p><strong>FREEDOM JONES; AN INTRODUCTION</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>He remembered a time when he had been ordinary; when he had played with the other boys. A time when he ran, fought, laughed, and scraped knees with the other boys. When they had climbed trees and stolen fruit and snatched apple scones from the kitchen&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26078"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18028" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">7fd6efb79593c51c1ce3cb5677a2fc81</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18016</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 06 Oct 2026 10:44:58 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Easy peasy </strong></p>
<p>Yesterday evening, me  in mindless  mood, scrolling between television programmes, and phone an Instagram a reel came up, featuring the ever- crumpled face of Mick Jagger. He answering some question about song writing, where he got his inspiration from.</p>
<p>His ‘<em>Everywhere</em>! -Sometimes I only have to look out the window –‘  spanne&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26066"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18016" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">2255e4daea3aa453ca8a16f8cf03df6f</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic October 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18013</link>
				<pubDate>Sun, 04 Oct 2026 07:52:00 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>488 words excluding title</p>
<p><strong><em>FICKLE HEART</em></strong></p>
<p>The small fluffy <strong>Cumulus</strong> clouds at dawn had promised a fine day, but by eight o&#8217;clock they&#8217;d grown into dark, lowering beasts threatening a thunderstorm ahead.  I resigned myself to a day indoors and this did nothing to improve the already black <strong>mood</strong> that had descended the night before when I received th&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26064"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/october-2026-monthly-competition/#post-18013" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">fecd5594afc94d9225ed1971855c2828</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18012</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 03 Oct 2026 18:20:26 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>I&#8217;m not surprise your story was picked <a href='https://www.denofwriters.com/members/libby/' rel="nofollow ugc">@Libby</a>, it was really top notch piece of writing.</p>
<p>Thanks for the theme, <a href='https://www.denofwriters.com/members/seagreen/' rel="nofollow ugc">@Seagreen</a>. It certainly made me think hard!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">475394cb945ea16855fe8c7eba86c56c</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18008</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 03 Oct 2026 08:16:17 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>I was pleased to have my mind returned to the time I effortlessly wrote dark, so thank you for this, challenge, Sea, ad well as all the contributors &#8211; entertaining every one, but I confess to especially enjoying Libby&#8217;s contempt for the policeman.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">e22d18e51781d781e152d3504afc35cb</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18007</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 03 Oct 2026 08:09:46 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>No need for apologies, Seagreen &#8211; I&#8217;m sure we all understand the delay.  You set an intriguing challenge and have given a comprehensive and thoughtful judgment on each darkly intriguing entry.  I loved all the others and echo the reasons you have expressed.</p>
<p>Congratulations, Libby.  Well deserved.  As I read, I could almost feel myself in the cha&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26058"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18007" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">fdad94181d59936b9cf6711c20d0e7cf</guid>
				<title>Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18006</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 03 Oct 2026 05:58:36 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thank you for indulging me with these entries and apologies once again for being so late with the results.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href='https://www.denofwriters.com/members/jill/' rel="nofollow ugc">@Jill</a>: you gave me exactly what I asked for – an insight into the mind of a killer – in this case, a victim of domestic abuse who was finally pushed too far. Your words paint a quiet picture of an unseen tempest.</p>
<p>@Sandra: Your words pai&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26057"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18006" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">834d3487eace530ca91220cbc0173388</guid>
				<title>Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18005</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 01 Oct 2026 21:12:10 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Apologies, all. Just home from work and, while the mind is willing, the body is most definitely wrecked. It’ll be tomorrow before I get a chance to read the entries.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">2dc626623b3e1ffbe27369c1cf5a595f</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18002</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 30 Sep 2026 22:28:51 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Read the others. Wow what hides under the surface!</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0e1c4315743f38cfa9bcfcd016dcd2f2</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18001</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 30 Sep 2026 16:49:21 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Body of evidence</strong>.</p>
<p>It’s not as though this is the first body I’ve seen, and it’s not as though this is the first person I’ve killed. As a death it was unremarkable: quick, expected, and I imagine she knew nothing about it. A clean shot through the back of the head in mid-conversation. Only a few of my targets have been so lucky, but my intenti&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26052"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-18001" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0bd54da81e58ebc9e528651d0f43ccf7</guid>
				<title>Athelstone posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26009/#acomment-26017</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 16 Sep 2026 15:16:15 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thanks for the link, Libby. I was pleased to see that although they accept donations, which is brilliant, the videos are available for free. Since I suspect the principal audience is likely to be writers this reflects an understanding of just how low the median income from our beloved interest really is. Latest figures show a median income for&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26017"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26009/#acomment-26017" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/libby/" rel="nofollow ugc">Libby</a> started the topic <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/edinburgh-book-festival-2026-videos/" rel="nofollow ugc">Edinburgh Book Festival 2026 videos</a> in the forum <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/forum/den-of-writers/coffee-shop/" rel="nofollow ugc">Coffee Shop</a> Videos of author talks at this year&#8217;s Edinburgh International Book Festival are available on [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">f45866eff5d87f78d80453e5ca6f4b38</guid>
				<title>John T posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26006/#acomment-26013</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 15 Sep 2026 11:45:05 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thank you, Kate!</p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/johnt3/" rel="nofollow ugc">John T</a> posted an update Hello all. I hope you&#8217;ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I&#8217;ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0bef13ed3d5954aa72fe529e88d22520</guid>
				<title>Kate posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26006/#acomment-26010</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 15 Sep 2026 11:27:35 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>It&#8217;s great that you&#8217;ve managed to blow off the dust and recycle an old manuscript. I hope it&#8217;s well received.</p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/johnt3/" rel="nofollow ugc">John T</a> posted an update Hello all. I hope you&#8217;ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I&#8217;ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">cc85c9ee8adf69564706ac9021509fd4</guid>
				<title>John T posted an update: Hello all. I hope you&#039;ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry [&#133;]</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26006/</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 09 Sep 2026 13:40:57 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Hello all. I hope you&#8217;ve all survived the summer heat. Sorry for the prolongued absence. While battling the heatwaves, I&#8217;ve been deep in editing. Some of you might remember a short story of mine called One Kiss, back in WordCloud days. Well, it became a novel called A Policy on Kissing that was longlisted for the Bath Novel Award in 2016, but&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-26006"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/26006/" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>2</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">593b204ad77d3321d0ff2dde07c77caa</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-17948</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 03 Sep 2026 08:49:28 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Episode from  long-running tale ‘The Blacksmith’s wife’</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>
<p>Kick a corpse to life and you’ll inevitably disturb carrion.</p>
<p>Tao knew this but only recalled it on attempting to leave his inn-room. The body that had earlier impeded his exit messenger for the man whose name Tao had evoked in hope of boosting his financial standing, believing those who&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25995"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-17948" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">d4ad2ce55c54319cd5b535313fbd262c</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-17945</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 02 Sep 2026 10:19:58 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>(Certainly stretched and apologies for one fleeting mention of blood!)</p>
<p>444 words excluding title</p>
<p><em><strong>Behind Closed Doors</strong></em></p>
<p>Neighbours stood around gawking.  I saw them from the window as I stood handcuffed to a policeman.</p>
<p>Our quiet cul de sac was a scene of mayhem with ambulance and police cars; blue lights flashing.</p>
<p>The paramedics stretchered him&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25993"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/#post-17945" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">4d6c80f401fdd019e40ea994fc64fc46</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17944</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 02 Sep 2026 07:56:24 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thank you, Athelstone.  It has come back to me now and I probably did enter the Word Cloud ones.  Wrathner was a lovely member, but it all seems so long ago…. Glad The Den took up the idea.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">80525dd8ca2fb538080e82cd43264509</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17943</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 02 Sep 2026 06:58:46 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>The original idea came from Harry Bingham on the WordCloud, who presented a bottle of something similar to Champagne as a prize each month. When it began to fall apart it was taken up by Wrathnar the Unreasonable (sans Champagne) and then by the winner of the competition each month.</p>
<p>It was adopted by the Den when the Cloud finally closed</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">92b7b001339d1ef1ca0d8570e5f7f229</guid>
				<title>Athelstone started the topic The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/the-2027-margery-allingham-short-mystery-competition/</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 02 Sep 2026 06:53:14 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><span>The 2027 Margery Allingham Short Mystery Competition is Now Open!</span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="https://australis.eocampaign1.com/web-version?ep=2&#038;lc=f8781b16-01c8-11f1-82c9-6dbe39b3a791&#038;p=73063d3a-a20b-11f1-8471-0d8778dd4b7d&#038;pt=campaign&#038;t=1788260504&#038;s=2e7939182f1b0d843e4b788f91b732e3d93a4739fffcb3526c7f265bf8507035" rel="nofollow ugc">https://australis.eocampaign1.com/web-version?ep=2&#038;lc=f8781b16-01c8-11f1-82c9-6dbe39b3a791&#038;p=73063d3a-a20b-11f1-8471-0d8778dd4b7d&#038;pt=campaign&#038;t=1788260504&#038;s=2e7939182f1b0d843e4b788f91b732e3d93a4739fffcb3526c7f265bf8507035</a></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">354239873f966b04998298aa4c8177e7</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17941</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 19:25:10 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Yes!  I did mean to say the medals included Libby who prompted us so well in the heat of 2026 August!   Encouragement…<br />
For me, these monthly competitions have been ensuring those writerly muscles are kept in peak condition and other writing has emerged too, so thank you to whoever dreamt up the idea!</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">88097762fbab344ee787aba0014eccc0</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17940</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 17:38:41 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Great monthly comp, Libby. And a well-deserved win for Seagreen.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">b6ad96b998d8916fcbeb0a298712cd36</guid>
				<title>Seagreen started the topic Monthly Comp - September 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 17:26:19 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>I don&#8217;t know if anyone remembers one of FergC&#8217;s challenges on the Cloud when he asked us to get in touch with our darker writing selves and be the villain? I hated it. Sobbed as I wrote, in fact, but my goodness I was stretched by it and just a tiny bit shocked at how wicked I could be.</p>
<p>I hope to stretch you now&#8230;</p>
<p>There&#8217;s a body.</p>
<p>Whether&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25987"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-comp-september-2026/" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">69248d95fa532b38839bbf0b72949a8d</guid>
				<title>Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17936</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 17:01:42 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thanks for the prompt Libby. It seems to have been an age since I  tested the writerly muscles&#8230;</p>
<p>And I second Jill&#8217;s call for virtual medals all round! 🙂</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">7f7c79b3de6810d5a61b83124ee1c4ab</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17935</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 15:31:51 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Congratulations, Seagreen ~ as Libby says it is an intriguing story.  Wonder what intriguing challenge you will be setting us for September…</p>
<p>As usual, I loved all the very different and well written entries which embraced the theme so well.  So virtual medals to all!</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">1eec4e3d5b8523f5cd294ad1eb59017a</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17934</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 01 Sep 2026 15:20:44 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thanks Libby for the prompt and your kind words. Only as I finished writing my entry did I recall the only holiday spent with my parents was in 1973 , after chld#3 born. It was NOT a success (and Dovercourt still feels like home)</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">edab5d7ac7ca85c6b1c59d8945a060f9</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17930</link>
				<pubDate>Mon, 31 Aug 2026 15:39:05 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>John on holiday</strong></p>
<p>John.</p>
<p>This is the strangest holiday ever. Chris should have been here. She even did all the bookings for us, and now I have to explain to everybody why it’s only me. The weather is perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. She’d have loved it—walking along the coast, looking down on the seabird colonies. Salt, warm seaweed on the narro&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25978"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17930" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">4fe2968277beea03039b496e52d57a38</guid>
				<title>Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17929</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 27 Aug 2026 20:42:48 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>The Space Between the Notes (334 words inc title)</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It was more than a holiday; it was a ritual, starting with the drive north. The choice of music; what the kids called my soppy stuff &#8211; Savage Garden, Beautiful South and sshhh, don’t say it out loud, Barry Manilow – and the way I always packed the car with a hundred and one things I wou&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25977"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17929" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">228dde99a1b2db1a85140965070b1049</guid>
				<title>RichardB replied to the topic Vaulting Ambition: the BRM V16 in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/#post-17924</link>
				<pubDate>Tue, 25 Aug 2026 16:58:44 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Your thought about the V16 engine and the 1966 formula is indeed intriguing, but if anyone at BRM did seriously consider it then I think it would have come unstuck on the fuel question if nothing else. It is my understanding that one reason for the Alfetta&#8217;s inordinate thirst (1.5 miles to the gallon in its final form!) was that it relied on&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25972"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/#post-17924" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">dc534b0c9115c0eb5ebef95a7f7b41c9</guid>
				<title>Daedalus replied to the topic Vaulting Ambition: the BRM V16 in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/#post-17922</link>
				<pubDate>Sun, 23 Aug 2026 12:22:11 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Great blog as usual Richard. It’s a fascinating story. One of those that has so much promise of what might have been, yet also so typical of the often shambolic British way of going about things that one feels it could only ever have ended up this way. Look at the contemporary British aviation industry &#8211; much brilliance and yet so much avoidable c&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25970"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/#post-17922" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">db0620dad69ec9ac6cc8cdeb23b02536</guid>
				<title>Jill posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25967/#acomment-25969</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 22 Aug 2026 08:45:37 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>A children&#8217;s lighthearted story now under way.  Just for personal pleasure&#8230;  </p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/jillsted/" rel="nofollow ugc">Jill</a> posted an update Dreams ~ re last post ~ less vivid now but some still meaningful.  I have written nothing since my August competition entry and those poems, but feel that something is bubbling under the [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">665f51751cd1839910ff763ddebc6d3a</guid>
				<title>RichardB started the topic Vaulting Ambition: the BRM V16 in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 20 Aug 2026 08:57:40 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Vaulting Ambition: the BRM V16</strong></p>
<p><em>&#8216;Vaulting ambition, which o&#8217;erleaps itself&#8230;&#8217;</em><br />
<em>Shakespeare,</em> Macbeth</p>
<p>British technology has been so dominant in motor sport for so long now that it is hard for many to imagine the time before World War II when British motor racing was an insular, gentlemanly affair (&#8216;The right crowd and no crowding&#8217; was the slogan&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25968"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/vaulting-ambition-the-brm-v16/" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">22db3d14f71d073d0910fee22e075113</guid>
				<title>Jill posted an update: Dreams ~ re last post ~ less vivid now but some still [&#133;]</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25967/</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 19 Aug 2026 12:00:13 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Dreams ~ re last post ~ less vivid now but some still meaningful.  I have written nothing since my August competition entry and those poems, but feel that something is bubbling under the surface ~ developing slowly.  Relaxed about it …. After somewhat intense times and nostalgia too, I am hoping it will be something lighthearted!  Maybe for c&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25967"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25967/" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>1</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">4bdd2c6a76dd82ec641d770cd476be0c</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17912</link>
				<pubDate>Mon, 17 Aug 2026 09:07:03 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Orientation</strong></p>
<p>In July 1953 we  &#8211; Dad, mum. brother and me, left  our  now-echoing  and curtainless home on the edge of Dovercourt Bay – an Essex seaside town dominated by a pair of cast iron  lighthouses whose clean, and well-protected sands were sectioned by sea-slimy black wooden groynes within which squatted large black crabs. There was  also a&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25958"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17912" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0f6f294a3f73abfeb10ff0670bd819bf</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic A bit &#034;poorly&#034; in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/page/2/#post-17906</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 13 Aug 2026 09:39:22 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Good morning &#8211; thank you for the explanation!  I was hot and tired when answering so probably brain was not 100% either and I made some sort of mistake, but hey ho!!!</p>
<p>You are right &#8211; I am old enough to have gone through quite a few similar challenges in my time, so do echo your thoughts.  A lengthy training and practice of counselling and the p&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25952"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/page/2/#post-17906" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">c654c4075b7d34a61cad132ea24253bc</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic A bit &#034;poorly&#034; in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/#post-17905</link>
				<pubDate>Thu, 13 Aug 2026 08:45:13 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Jill, the Den&#8217;s Activity Page posts extracts changes (replies, new topics etc) from the public sections of the Den. You replied directly to the Activity Page version of this thread &#8211; you can check by selecting &#8220;Activity&#8221; from the menu at the top of all the Den&#8217;s pages. It&#8217;s all still there, although you&#8217;ll need to scroll a *long* way as my&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25951"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/#post-17905" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">93f9528808ff50d1beebd73b65be047e</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic A bit &#034;poorly&#034; in the forum Blogs</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/#post-17904</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 12 Aug 2026 16:01:23 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Not sure where our latest conversation has gone, but glad you are progressing slowly and coming to accept future limitations.  Good that you can walk by the coast.</p>
<p>I wrote quite a long reply, but cannot find it anywhere.  Blaming the heat or perhaps the computer thought my reply far too long!!!</p>
<p>Anyhow, thanks for asking.  We are coming th&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25950"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/#post-17904" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">b8972efb776d5ecf6d497f1be2e7a3f4</guid>
				<title>Athelstone posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25730/#acomment-25949</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 12 Aug 2026 15:18:05 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction.  I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn&#8217;t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25949"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25730/#acomment-25949" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/athelstone/" rel="nofollow ugc">Athelstone</a> replied to the topic <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/" rel="nofollow ugc">A bit &quot;poorly&quot;</a> in the forum <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/forum/den-of-writers/blogs/" rel="nofollow ugc">Blogs</a> Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don&#8217;t think me rude that I haven&#8217;t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">920a168a26abdd4e2d42da3dec33568d</guid>
				<title>Jill posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25730/#acomment-25948</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 12 Aug 2026 14:57:12 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues.  Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me.  Jill x</p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/athelstone/" rel="nofollow ugc">Athelstone</a> replied to the topic <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/a-bit-poorly/" rel="nofollow ugc">A bit &quot;poorly&quot;</a> in the forum <a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/forum/den-of-writers/blogs/" rel="nofollow ugc">Blogs</a> Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don&#8217;t think me rude that I haven&#8217;t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">e022bde2a0ecfd623b03cd0524eb4d12</guid>
				<title>Jill posted an update: Following on from last ‘Whar’s New’, this is an inter [&#133;]</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25947/</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 12 Aug 2026 08:36:49 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Following on from last ‘Whar’s New’, this is an interesting processing/creative writing time for me.  I never cease to be awed by the ways in which the creativity of humans can work.<br />
I have been having vivid dreams and, to help me unravel their deeper meaning I have actually had conversations with an AI tool.  A first for me, but I have done&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25947"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25947/" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">c38c43ddd01673e22327823e0088cd0c</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17889</link>
				<pubDate>Sun, 02 Aug 2026 21:36:41 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Felt inspired and nostalgic by your prompt Libby!!  Happy carefree times …</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">56fec6033759a26c0f5422cfbf2ebdfe</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition August 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17887</link>
				<pubDate>Sun, 02 Aug 2026 11:34:11 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>Annual Holiday by the Sea</strong></p>
<p><em>(Immediately inspired by July&#8217;s theme)</em></p>
<p>When I was a little girl the high point of the school Summer break was our family holiday by the sea.  It was only for a week and very often to Goodrington near Paignton in Devon.</p>
<p>Just writing that paragraph has immediately brought back so many memories of carefree, happy times&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25929"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-august-2026/#post-17887" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">d8577960a33eef29fb002d9e3b4449f8</guid>
				<title>Jill replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17884</link>
				<pubDate>Sun, 02 Aug 2026 05:36:06 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>First, congratulations to Libby.  Look forward to reading what theme you are going to set us for August.</p>
<p>Secondly, I echo Sandra in the fact that childhoods now past have been vividly evoked here in rich words worthy of Denizens!  In addition, thank you Sandra for introducing me to a word I had never heard before and one which is impressive in i&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25926"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17884" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0ca9db9b7812cbda56d23edd00d5ed5b</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17883</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 01 Aug 2026 20:37:21 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Thank TOY Ath foc comp and commentryand well done to all of us for so vividly  evoking childhoods now past, I  particularly enjoyed Ath&#8217;s reference to radio &#8211; ours was a brown 18&#8243;B Bakelite cube which was only allowed into our bedrooms when we were sick (and often. it seemed. Luxembourg sicker. Looking forward to Libby&#8217;s comp for August.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">0225c1471bc159625f159479c29a3504</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17882</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 01 Aug 2026 19:57:40 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Jill&#8217;s entry grabbed my attention straight away, because although my own childhood was a few years later, so much was the same. And yes, all the shops shut. In fact, almost everything shut on a Sunday apart from Church and Sunday School. &#8220;Hear the pennies dropping&#8221; for those who remember it. So much centered on the home back then. A wonderful&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25924"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17882" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">52dfceb159cd28f986855b6a9dfc46b3</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17880</link>
				<pubDate>Sat, 01 Aug 2026 04:57:10 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Don&#8217;t mind at all; hope fulfilling demands not too onerous.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">5622a8c0a7900954ea0493bfd082b8f5</guid>
				<title>Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17879</link>
				<pubDate>Fri, 31 Jul 2026 22:20:00 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>A brace of fabulous entries this month. Real life has struck at an awkward moment with silly demands on time. I hope you won&#8217;t mind too much If I pinch a day from the next comp. and post the results tomorrow evening. So sorry about that.</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">04bff970281759f7d8c15d53a8470db2</guid>
				<title>Janette replied to the topic Flash fiction published in the forum Podium</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/flash-fiction-published/#post-17877</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 29 Jul 2026 21:53:27 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Many congratulations, Libby x</p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">ab575fca94c0aa0bf5c6426ebd055468</guid>
				<title>Jill posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25900/#acomment-25913</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 22 Jul 2026 09:14:11 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>How true.  Hope you are doing well now in everyway including your own writing.</p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/jillsted/" rel="nofollow ugc">Jill</a> posted an update What is new is that it has been a reflective week in which writing has played an important role in working through various issues &#8211; not least two recent hospitalisations in the family!  Also, [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">49676c5073b85137829cd04d7ce8ac0d</guid>
				<title>Athelstone posted a new activity comment</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/activity/p/25900/#acomment-25912</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 22 Jul 2026 08:56:54 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p>Writing is extremely enabling, as you say. And that&#8217;s especially so these days when there&#8217;s far more truth in a work of fiction than in the news we read or listen to.</p>
				<strong>In reply to</strong> -
				<a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/members/jillsted/" rel="nofollow ugc">Jill</a> posted an update What is new is that it has been a reflective week in which writing has played an important role in working through various issues &#8211; not least two recent hospitalisations in the family!  Also, [&hellip;]			]]></content:encoded>
				
				
							</item>
					<item>
				<guid isPermaLink="false">ba5f85e318673a444bbc40431a878992</guid>
				<title>Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition July 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition</title>
				<link>https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17871</link>
				<pubDate>Wed, 22 Jul 2026 08:56:34 +0000</pubDate>

									<content:encoded><![CDATA[<p><strong>There’s a word for it!</strong></p>
<p>The much faded five inch Quality Street tin I inherited from my mother is near-filled with  buttons, their variety in part due to them having been donated by my aunt Muriel, who was a dressmaker and her mother Dora who was a tailoress. Needless to say, had there been such, I would’ve won ‘best-dressed child’ many a time had&hellip;<span class="activity-read-more" id="activity-read-more-25911"><a href="https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/topic/monthly-competition-july-2026/#post-17871" rel="nofollow ugc">[Read more]</a></span></p>
]]></content:encoded>
				
									<slash:comments>0</slash:comments>
				
							</item>
		
	</channel>
</rss>