KazG

  • Seagreen posted an update in the group Group logo of Andrew Wille’s DIY MA courseAndrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years ago

    I am both looking forward to this (the thought of it excites me) and dreading it (worried that I’ll fall behind) but in the face of WB’s wonderfully thought out plan, I’m sharpening the pencils and saying ‘Bring it on!’

  • Ok, so. We wouldn’t need to be massively set in stone on a lot of it. I figure the following:

    1) Making each ‘class’ in the craft seminars span 3 weeks actually means that with the odd week taken off as a break, the craft seminars would fit nicely into 2 years without being massively heavy time-wise. A couple of hours a week, it reckons, doing it…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago

    Oh yes, 373(ish)

  • Athelstone replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago

    Tortoiseshell Specs

    I wear tortoiseshell specs. My dear old mum did too. And Dad. A family tradition that I hadn’t really thought about. I mean, we had so many things that I hardly even noticed. Family traditions, that is. There were words we used that I thought were just normal. Mum called me dinny if I did something daft and lairy when I was n…[Read more]

  • It looks to me as though a timetable including discussion and feedback would be good on all three aspects, if we are going the route of having a timetable in the first place.

    For one thing, the writing practice can include the exercises for the craft seminars, or could be some of the ones Andrew suggests but which are not chosen for the craft…[Read more]

  • I’m in the camp that would prefer a bit of a timetable but can I just clarify something and sorry if this has been dealt with elsewhere.

    Year 1 consists of the Craft Seminars,the first year of writing workshop and the first year of the professional development masterclas.

    The Craft Seminars of which there are fifteen IMO lend themsleves to a…[Read more]

  • Ok, I can understand that. I guess it’s a balance, isn’t it? Between providing a timetable for those of us who like structure (I prob count myself there), and not excluding people whose other commitments make that timetable unfeasable. … And getting caught in an infinite loop of trying to decide a timetable that fits everyone! … AND not…[Read more]

  • Fantastic achievement @elle! Congratulations

  • I think I like Squidge’s idea, because I’d be better with some discipline.

  • Jonathan replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago

    Seed Cathedral

    It was not the first of its kind but it was the one which marked the moment past which things would not return. There were too many and they were too popular. And tomorrow was my day. Today was Alfie’s – my brother.

    “We who hold our rockets,” said the priest, garbed in a sheet in the roofless shadow of the abbey, “sit together…[Read more]

  • The only issue with doing multiple units is that we could end up with people later on having no buddies to do that unit with? I’d rather it was ‘organised’ in that there’s a definite time for each unit to be completed over, simply because that means I can be more disciplined about an approach, rather than wondering what’s on and whether I want to…[Read more]

  • Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago

    Tick tock! Songs of Innocence & Experience.

  • Yeah, the time commitment/coordination is the challenge with something like this. I’ve been thinking about how it might work, having jumped in enthusiastically without doing any thinking first! I guess for me, the best way seems to be to look at it as a series of group exercises, rather than a whole MA.

    Maybe the way to do it would be if someone…[Read more]

  • Squidge posted an update 7 years ago

    Just a reminder that there’s a week to go for September’s monthly competition…and for you to prove to me that ‘beige ain’t boring!’

    • Libby replied 7 years ago

      I’m sorry I’m having to pass on this one Squidge. Combination of holiday and having work done at home. I did like your paint chart idea for prompts.

      • No worries – I know September’s busy for most folk, especially after York. Mean I won’t have such a difficult decision judging 😉

  • Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago

    Well, here I am looking out at the Haymarket tram stop in Edinburgh from a cosy AirBnB. It would have been nice to catch up with local Denizens but I have my family with me and it’s been a packed weekend around a family wedding so not much opportunity. Flying back to Sussex by the Sea later this PM so won’t be feeling much like doing responsible…[Read more]

  • If I do commit to this, I would definitely prefer group interaction, including giving and receiving feedback. It’s true, though, that co-ordinating timing for a group, over two years, will be tricky.

  • JaneShuff posted an update 7 years ago

    Every single person in my novel is caucasian (which is a serious problem)and I want to introduce a character who isn’t but I’m absolutely terrified of getting it wrong. He’ll play neither a big nor a stereotypical role and I don’t want his enthnicity to be any more of a thing that another character’s hair colour and Scottish accent. Any pointers?…[Read more]

    • Libby replied 7 years ago

      Hi Jane, you don’t say where your setting is but for the UK you can give him a non Caucasian name and that will be sufficient?

    • @janeshuff, my book is full of varied ethnicity because of the region I’ve set it in. To help, I have gone with what I know. First, I looked at who I knew personally, who might help me factually. Secondly, people I know or have known more remotely, have inspired other characters and I took notes of what I remembered about them. In addition, I s…[Read more]

    • I’m inclined towards Libby’s way. You’re not out to solve the problems of a multiracial society, so if you start planting hints and plot devices then you’ll end up with the author waving at the readers.

      • Hi Jane, You can tie yourself in knots, trying to be PC and non-culturally appropriative (if that’s a word: it is now) and not offend anybody. I read an article a while ago, suggesting that if you have a walk-on part using someone called ‘Steve’, change his name to ‘Sanjay’ and leave it at that. i.e. doing just what Steve did with Steve’s joys and…[Read more]

  • Load More