Mad Iguana

  • Just to make clear – this just relates to autumnal references. You can use sight in other parts of the story.

  • Autumn is upon us in all its savage glory, but it is so much more than a paint pallet. I’d like you to theme your story around Autumn, including every sense except sight. I’d like this to be within a 450 word limit, please.

  • Alex – I know exactly what it’s like to have life throw a spanner in the works, so no apologies necessary.

    Ath – Oh wow! Stalking Leviathan seems so long ago… *dashes off to recharge the Kindle so I can check which story you mean*

  • I confess to not having written much these past few months and my writerly fixes are, for the most part, coming through my involvement with the Den. When I set this prompt, I think I knew it might be tricky – time-consuming, too – but I’m afraid I allowed the need to give my own writing a bit of a shake to get in the way of my common sense…[Read more]

    • Oh! I signed in for a glimpse of the next challenge, to find it’s down to me. I did not expect that – thank you. And thank you for the prompt which made me close examine this and another scene I saw improvement possibilities in.

  • Apologies for being late back to this and thanks to everyone who entered (as well as those who didn’t enter but found the prompt useful). I’ll get onto the business of judging later today and post results by this evening ☺️

  • You have my apologies too. I also had a busy month, but mainly I have to confess that every time I turned to the prompt I hit brick walls. I admit defeat. And it is a fine prompt. One good thing from my point of view though is that I had another look at my short story from the Random’s anthology Stalking Leviathan. I had some critique that the…[Read more]

  • Hope this meets the challenge. It is approaching the end of my book Saving Grace, and has spoilers (in the event this thing gets published!). Pervious feedback said this scene felt too easy/convenient. Now, she panics and resists. I show her conflicts as she starts to make comparisons.

    Untitled

    While he drove, Michael told me about how he worked…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Well, these last few posts sent me off on a chase, which I shall spare you the detail of. I have never read anything by Salter, but probably shall, now. For what it’s worth, I emerged from my chase with a greater respect for George Orwell (though perhaps not his earlier novels) and a suspicion that Will Self may have confused writing literature…[Read more]

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    I think for me Salter stands out because the spareness is also lyrical. I find many ‘less is more’ authors to be a bit dull, but his prose manages to be as poetic as it is simple

  • John T replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Salter is an author I’ve never read. 90% of my favourite                                                                                                                                                   contemporary authors are women, but that may be as much about genre as gender. I read very few thrillers or crime novels, and only occasional l…[Read more]

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Salter is very much a writer of men. I was somewhat horrified by his treatment of women in All There Is (although there’s always a detachment to his writing that means it’s never entirely clear who his sympathies lie with). I find his earlier work rather tighter.

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Sandra, interesting you say that about unconscious influence from books you read years ago. I’m generally reluctant to specify my influences because I’m certain that I don’t know who all of them are. On more than one occasion I’ve reread something I read in my youth but had only the haziest memory of. And, to my horror, encountered somethi…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 12 months ago

    I wrote a short story with an MC lacking almost all redeeming qualities. It didn’t go down too well, although I quite enjoyed writing it. Patricia Highsmith’s writing is wonderful. Tom Ripley is a work of genius.

    Also, hello stranger. How’s it going?

     

  • Daedalus posted an update 3 years ago

    And don’t forget people, if you say anything mean about JK Rowling, you’ll get in her bad books. The detective ones.

  • I’ve just started listening to Ken Follett on BBC Maestro, and this is (sort of) taken from a task he sets at the end of the section on developing ideas.

    Take a scene in a book (your own or someone else’s) where not a lot is happening. Find five ways to improve it e.g identify things that could go wrong, complicate matters or raise the sta…[Read more]

  • Anyone else getting question marks instead of the smiley face?

  • Oh, crikey! This has caught me on the hop. Such a great catch of entries!

    Squidge – thanks for the prompts. I wasn’t convinced I’d be able to do them justice.

    Libby, Sandra, Janette and Alex – there wasn’t a single story I wouldn’t have picked to be a winner ????

  • Wowser…spoilt for choice! Thank you all for taking my three little words and turning them into lots of great stories. As always, the three objects were used in very different and clever ways. So…

    Sandra – there’s something about a pipe-smoking detective, isn’t there? Lovely piece, with the rat almost in the trap until the detective took his…[Read more]

    • Thank you for a good challenge, Squidge. Congratulations, Sea, well deserved, though I enjoyed all of the other stories too.

  • Squidge posted an update 3 years ago

    aaargh! Apologies, such a busy day at church yesterday, totally forgot I needed to judge the comp! Am on it now…

  • A great batch of entries. Sadly, my good idea didn’t finally coalesce until I was dozing off last night.

  • Load More