@madiguana
Active 5 years, 8 months ago-
Squidge posted an update 3 years ago
Only a few days left to get something into the monthly comp… Looking forward to reading the entries!
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
UNTITLED (300 words)
Betty Hoskins β aged 95 years – and probably a pipe smoker for the last 85 of them. Sheβs at the allotments, perched on a ragged, weather-beaten wicker armchair beneath an arch of bamboo rods and green netting, enveloped in a haze of what she calls her βmedicinalβ blend.
Itβs late evening, the sun is bedding down behi…[Read more]
-
Janette posted an update 3 years ago
Joined @johnt3 in giving BlueSky a go. Looking forward to finding more familiar faces there, but I haven’t much to report on yet. My book 2 (way off finishing its rewrite) needs to be closer to ready before I consider which way to get book 1 published. Black dog keeps sitting on my keyboard.
-
There are an increasing number of us there, including a fair few from the Den.
-
Janette, do you mean a real black dog, or black dog in the metaphorical sense?
-
Metaphorical – though just as pesky and stubborn.
-
I know that black dog. It’s hard to shove it out of the way, sometimes. Big cwtches from Wales x
-
Thanks, John. Big Yorkshire hugs right back atcha x
-
π
-
-
-
Sorry to hear it. It is remarkably adept at confounding all good intentions to write.
-
Thanks, Ath. Yes, writing and reading both confounded. It feels like a midge infestation in my head when I try to take things in or concentrate further than one page. Hopefully, I’ll overpower IT sooner rather than later.
-
My usual remedy for reading problems is to read children’s books. I read a lot β they’re my therapy.
-
-
-
-
-
I hope life becomes easier, Janette.
-
Thanks, Libby. Here’s hoping x
-
@johnt3 Good idea. Some of my favourites are children’s books.
-
-
-
-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
The proof copy of my novel has arrived. This is getting scarily real!
-
Woohoo! Exciting as well as scary, I hope.
-
Yep.
-
-
Must feel wonderful, John. It’s been a long trip!
-
It certainly has. I began writing seriously in 2004, at the age of 50.
-
I can see some similarities there. I started around then as well. You were a couple of years ahead of me on the age front, but it seems we picked up our pen and paper about the same time.
-
Not exactly surprising, given the similarities between our writing, but interesting.
-
Mind you, I’m still puffing away a good stretch back from the finish line π
-
I’ll be cheering you on!
-
-
-
-
-
Woohoo! Can’t wait for my copy.
-
Being the the most amazing beta-reader, your copy will appear before I publish it. Pre-publication copies are currently at the printers.
-
-
-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
Any of you guys on BlueSky? I’ve found Raine and Athelstone. I’m @johnunworded.bsky.social
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Strange tastes
Β
Oh, I did miss my Bert. Watching him through the window, wheelbarrow-in-hand, shaping our garden into all sorts of strangeness: gaudy, modern art in bloom.
Me, I preferred order. Neatness. A little chintz perhaps; a Capo Di Monte on the sideboard. βLet go, Pammy! Unstiffen your lip,β Bert would say while waltzing me roun…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Yes, thank you, Sandra, for a prompt which took me on a tangent I quite enjoyed!
And congratulations, Squidge. Well deserved!
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Congratulations to Squidge for winning and to the rest of us simply for being amazing ????
Also thanks to Sandra for shooing me in an unexpected direction ☺️
-
Barny replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoThe feeling is mutual.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoMarvellous to see you here, Barny.Β
-
Barny replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoThanks for organising this, Ath.
I really really intend to actually submit something this year.
-
Barny replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoWriting, Pistol, Serious.
See you in the library.
-
-
Squidge started the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Your prompt this month consists of three words:
wheelbarrow, street lamp, and a pipe (smoking)
Use them however you would like, in no more than 300 words. Have fun π
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Oh blimey! Did not expect that at all… Wow, thanks, Sandra.
Everyone else’s was fab. Feel a bit of a fraud having popped in here for the first time in ages and getting to set this month’s challenge, but I’ll do my best x
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Thanks for the prompt, Sandra. Enjoyed it this month. And very well done to Squidge. A worthy winner!
-
KazG replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoArithmetic
Candlestick
Comical
-
KazG posted an update in the group
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agonever written a whodunnit! But I LOVED Agatha when I was a young reader, so let’s see if anything useful sank in. Thank you, Ath!
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoI’m like John…I always join in the hope I’ll be able to write something. This year’s been a shocker for the novel, so a change of content would be most welcome!
- Load More
