Mad Iguana

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 4 months, 4 weeks ago

    Thanks Jill. Yes, it is a big relief.

    I’ve been on blood thinners (apixaban) since I was admitted to hospital. My problem is that the hospital doctors didn’t share any plan for dealing with the existing clots which have blocked two major veins to the liver. I strongly suspect that they were anticipating a worse outcome from the endoscopy and…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 4 months, 4 weeks ago

    I hope that this is a footnote, although I forsee a few more tests from my GP.

    Today I had the endoscopy which I believe some of the doctors in my hospital thought would show cancer. the symptoms were all lined up. There was even consistent evidence from CAT scans and other X-rays. To be fair to them, they never said that, though they always…[Read more]

    • Ath, this is such a huge relief to hear, though I imagine the mindset prepping beforehand must have left you mentally drained. I have polyps and so have to be monitored with colonoscopies every three years – I’m guessing you might be invited to do the same. I hope your quest to find out the cause of the clots and anaemia is soon fruitful and…[Read more]

  • Caution: Stuart’s language isn’t for polite company. The anniversary was my 18th birthday, June 21 1974.

    Stuart’s story

    People call me Plug ‘cos they reckon I look like Plug from the Bash Street Kids I ain’t never seen him, so I don’t know. Stuart’s my real name, and I just done three months in nick for something I ain’t done. Possessio…[Read more]

  • Janette posted an update 5 months ago

    Apologies again that I have been to busy and distracted to participate in the comps just yet. You may have seen on FB that I have now announced the imminent launch of my book The Indiculous Grace Dunn, along with a cover preview and blurb. I’m hoping to launch by the end of May or early June, depending on how smoothly the readthrough of the proof…[Read more]

  • Bella replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    Bloody Norah! (Sorry, Norah.) I have also just happened upon this. How ghastly and scary. Some aspects are all too familiar to me after a 2 week stint in hospital with evil pneumonia a couple of years ago. It’s surprising what a state we can innocently get into with no idea we are quite so ill until suddenly the ambulance has to be called. I’m…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago

    Thanks for the kind wishes, Jill. I know you’ve had your own burden lately, and I was so pleased to hear things were going well. At the moment, progress is good. I’m not using crutches or a frame now around the house and I can make it upstairs 2 or 3 times a week for a shower, all approved by the health visitors. I still have anaemia and run out…[Read more]

    • Good to hear there is progress, Ath, albeit on the slow side. I’ll be thinking of you on 11th May, sending positive vibes.

  • Jill – this story was woven with the muted grey overtones of something unpleasant being cast off.  I enjoyed how you linked the idea of metamorphosis with the prompt word butterfly as well as showing the protagonist dealing with the stages of an abusive relationship and its outcome with quiet strength too. Perceptively written.

    Sandra, I loved…[Read more]

  • Just to remind everyone  there are only  two days  left  until the  end of the  April competion and as  there are only  two entries so far, both equally as worthy of being chosen  as the other, I may  have to  resort to  flipping a coin or  standing at midnight by candlelight and chanting  one of those weird  childhood choosing rhymes ….mid…[Read more]

    • Sorry, Terrie. I’m not going to be able to post a story this month. Life has been very busy. It’s a shame – I especially like word prompts.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don’t think me rude that I haven’t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words are very much appreciated.

    • Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues. Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me. Jill x

    • Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction. I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn’t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    So glad to see you back, Ath – I was beginning to be afraid we never would.

    And as it turns out, we nearly didn’t. My God, what a time you’ve had. All my best wishes for your continued recovery, and I do hope that the issue still hanging over you turns out to be not too catastrophic.

  • Seagreen replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    What an experience! I’m just glad you’re home and on the mend. Credit to you for maintaining a positive mindset and to Mrs Ath for being amazing!

    Not sure if you know, Ath, but positive feedback for specific nurses ‘Natalie did this, Esme supported me with that’ can be used for their revalidation. Just saying. ☺️

  • Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    Honestly, nobody wants to get ill and go to hospital, but I don’t regret having met the staff. From the cleaner who I talked to a lot, to the nurses who tirelessly carried horrible pots away without a single complaint, to the consultant who (I now see) was joking/hinting about discharge when she said, ‘We must get this catheter out, unless you use…[Read more]

  • Janette replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

    Hell, Ath, this is too much for one person to put up with, and must have been (and continues to be) very frightening. I really do hope that the ‘frightening bit’ is treatable, and that you get an upturn in health very soon. Thinking of you loads and sending positive vibes your way.

  • Athelstone started the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago

     

    So many people have asked, ‘What’s wrong with you’ and ‘Why are you still in hospital?’, (I’m out now) that I thought a small blog might help. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people, including on this site, who have had worse problems, often for longer. But I’ve never been this ill, so I’ll press on.

    In the beginning, at the very tail end…[Read more]

  •  

    I  decided  not  to go with  the  traditional  kinds of  prompts  associated  with  April  and  simply   picked  four words  at random  that must be included  in  your comp  entry  about  anything  in any genre  that inspires  your  creative  preference in 450 words or less.

    The four words are :-   Portrait  Ignite  Butterfly & Granite

    &nbsp…[Read more]

  • Thank you for  helping out  here  Janette, and  thank for  choosing  my  offereing as  winner. I felt  all the  entries   captured  Ath’s remit for this  March  madness  comp so well done  Jill, Sandra,Libby and Sea.

    The  April  comp   challenge   will be posted  shortly .

  • Simple, I thought – judge a few stories for the March competition while Ath is out of action (Ath, if you’re reading this, sending BIG healing vibes and willing a speedy recovery). But – what a dilemma to be handed. These are all excellent and worthy to be winners in their own right.

    But judge I must, as promised, so here are my thoughts:

    Jill -…[Read more]

  • Damn! It messed with my formatting 🙁

     

  • The madness is all mine for thinking I could do this!

    All words taken from Rod Judkins’ The Art of Creative Thinking.

     

    DRIBBLES AND SPATTERS

    Inner demons

    chisel

    creative confidence

    Ideas so strange

    wither.

     

    Radiate defiance

    Salvage mistakes with freedom

    and

    transform the message

    Come alive!

  • You asked for mad?  Well, here’s the  slice of crackpot absurdity I came up with .

     

    The necklace of tiny silver bells about her neck tinkled softly as she backed against the garden wall. ‘You’re all mad, you know,’ she muttered holding the sharp seed dibber, labelled ‘Mr Pointy’, like a knife at the advancing crowd.

    At the front of the group,…[Read more]

  • Load More