Mad Iguana

  • Athelstone started the topic Q and A in the forum Group logo of September SongSeptember Song 12 months ago

    Ask questions here. Also, if you have any great ideas that might be answers, feel free to post them.

  • Athelstone started the topic Rules in the forum Group logo of September SongSeptember Song 12 months ago

    Some Basic Story Rules and Guidelines

     

    The challenge is to produce a short story. In the way that the term is usually understood, what is needed is a work of fiction. By all means stretch this definition as you like, to include, for example, an imaginative account of true events, but please avoid essays, reportage, political polemic,…[Read more]

  • Athelstone started the topic Voting in the forum Group logo of September SongSeptember Song 12 months ago

    On the face of it, what you have to do is quite simple. However, those of you have been through this before in previous challenges will know that in fact it is extraordinarily tough.

    When the writing stage of the challenge closes on 8 February 2026 at 22:00 UK time, the voting stage begins. No doubt most of you will have read many of the entries…[Read more]

  • Athelstone started the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of September SongSeptember Song 12 months ago

    What it says

    • Bless you Ath!! Details of the Winter comp so inspired me I had sentences in my head when I woke this morning that needed me to get up and write them down immediately. That hasn’t happened for some months, and though I know what you’ve still to reveal will change things, I’m confident l’ll be able to incorporate it with the as-yet loose ideas I…[Read more]

  •  

    <u>Pocket Money</u>

    Hidden in gloom-light, he shadow-shifts within the numinous cloak of darkness rippling and folding into a Samhain-shadowed mist, as it protects him within its unsettled veil.

    Hood pushed back, revealing small horns twisting, like red fingers, on dark hair, falling away over his shoulders, he glides over the grass.

    Drawn…[Read more]

  • I’m late with the congratulations – life has been frantic for a few days! Thanks so much for the prompt, @jillsted. A thoughtful piece from @libby is a more-than-worthy winner. And well done to @knickylaurelle for a splendidly acute story.

  • Congratulations, Libby! Well and beautifully written to you and Ath too 🙂

  • Janette posted an update 1 year ago

    So sorry, Jill. I hoped to be of a mindset to join in September’s comp, only this month has thrown up too many mind-scrambling obstacles to facilitate concentration. Seems you already have some excellent stories already and I don’t envy your task.

  • The Artist of Wexton

    A gust of icy wind blew across the beach, and I turned to one side and pulled my coat tighter. Doing so, I realised that something was wrong, but I wasn’t quite sure what. An elderly woman stood about fifty yards to the west looking out to sea. There was something almost mournful about her, and, against my usual inclination I…[Read more]

  • (Untitled, 394 words)

    The book was finished, the story told. But more importantly, the truth laid bare. Every pocket dimension of past trauma exorcised. Every chapter of his life stamped adult, checked as complete. Every fragment of what it meant to be human sorted and struck through.

    Now was a new time. A beginning time. Time to rejoin the…[Read more]

  • Knicks changed their profile picture 1 year ago

  • Fiona posted an update 1 year ago

    Hello! I think it’s years since I last dropped in but in switching computers I rediscovered this page. So glad to see some familiar faces and competitions going strong. Fiona (SE 2013)

  • Here I am, racked with guilt. I did sit down a couple of times to write an entry, but it just wouldn’t come. I had an idea yesterday that I liked, and it may end up as a scene in the WIP, but I had so much going on I couldn’t manage it. Apologies, it’s a fascinating idea and I should have done something. However, you have two very good entries to…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago

    I have little nostalgia for the pubs of my earlier days, mainly because the pubs in Sutton, where I spent most of my life, were, and are, a pretty sorry lot. But there is one pub I remember with a certain affection.

    Watling Street, which becomes the Edgware Road, that arterial road that runs in a straight line through North-West London, starts…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago

    Pretty much, these days.

    Most of the pubs I’ve loved are long closed now. The Railway Hotel in Newbury where I first tasted Morland bitter at the grand old age of 15 (just). At 12p per pint even I could afford it. Then there was the Cambridge in Cambridge Circus. To be fair, the beer was dreadful – so bad that I drank bottled lager mainly – but…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago

    Mention of plain-looking pubs reminds me of another pub with a heart-warming story, the Hope in Carshalton, near where I used to live and even nearer to where I grew up. In appearance a nondescript 1930s local, it was going to close down until a bunch of its customers got together and bought the lease, and then a few years later the pub outright.…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 1 year, 1 month ago

    Sounds glorious.

    Just had a short break in France where nearly all the draft beer is lager style, with the exception of a few unpleasantly-sweet dark beers. To be fair, some of the lighter ones are drinkable, especially if it’s a hot day – which it usually is.

    All this talk of real ale reminds me of that magical moment when you enter a…[Read more]

  • Load More