-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
The proof copy of my novel has arrived. This is getting scarily real!
-
John T posted an update 3 years ago
Any of you guys on BlueSky? I’ve found Raine and Athelstone. I’m @johnunworded.bsky.social
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years ago
“Stealing and giving odour “ [Twelfth Night]
From my very first whiff of the pipe tobacco I was a sucker for the scent of Balkan Sobranie. Given its name, thirteen-year-old imagination conjured red-jacketed hunters chasing yellow-eyed wolves through night forests. My Dad’s dour, ‘Four Square far cheaper,’ confirmed its blend of leaves — Latakia…[Read more]
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years agoMarvellous to see you here, Barny.
-
Barny replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years agoThanks for organising this, Ath.
I really really intend to actually submit something this year.
-
Barny replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years agoWriting, Pistol, Serious.
See you in the library.
-
-
Squidge started the topic Monthly competition – September 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Your prompt this month consists of three words:
wheelbarrow, street lamp, and a pipe (smoking)
Use them however you would like, in no more than 300 words. Have fun 😉
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Oh blimey! Did not expect that at all… Wow, thanks, Sandra.
Everyone else’s was fab. Feel a bit of a fraud having popped in here for the first time in ages and getting to set this month’s challenge, but I’ll do my best x
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Thanks for the prompt, Sandra. Enjoyed it this month. And very well done to Squidge. A worthy winner!
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
Setting a writing prompt then watching the array of exciting interpretations — six in all!! — flood in as they did this month, confirming there are always many times more than one ‘correct’ answer, I consider one of life’s especial pleasures, but I have to say actuality exceeded expectation by some considerable margin – thank you all!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoI’m like John…I always join in the hope I’ll be able to write something. This year’s been a shocker for the novel, so a change of content would be most welcome!
-
John T replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoIt’s several years since I joined the challenge. Still deep in novels, but I feel it’s time to write another short story.
-
John T replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoArithmetic
Rope
Comical
-
-
Kate replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoArithmetic
Spanner
Comical
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition – August 2023 in the forum Monthly Competition 3 years, 1 month ago
There is not the smallest piece of amusement in her confusion as she stands with a knife in one hand, a fork in the other. Which to the right and which to the left? She knows, of course, but in that moment the answer eludes her. So much hangs on the decision. Once, many years ago, she served water in a glass; put it at his place. For her trouble…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Choices in the forum
Whodunnit? 3 years, 1 month agoCourtesy of Jules:
Arithmetic
Lead Pipe
Comical
- Load More

Woohoo! Exciting as well as scary, I hope.
Yep.
Must feel wonderful, John. It’s been a long trip!
It certainly has. I began writing seriously in 2004, at the age of 50.
I can see some similarities there. I started around then as well. You were a couple of years ahead of me on the age front, but it seems we picked up our pen and paper about the same time.
Not exactly surprising, given the similarities between our writing, but interesting.
Mind you, I’m still puffing away a good stretch back from the finish line 🙂
I’ll be cheering you on!
Woohoo! Can’t wait for my copy.
Being the the most amazing beta-reader, your copy will appear before I publish it. Pre-publication copies are currently at the printers.