-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition May 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 4 months, 4 weeks ago
Caution: Stuart’s language isn’t for polite company. The anniversary was my 18th birthday, June 21 1974.
Stuart’s story
People call me Plug ‘cos they reckon I look like Plug from the Bash Street Kids I ain’t never seen him, so I don’t know. Stuart’s my real name, and I just done three months in nick for something I ain’t done. Possessio…[Read more]
-
AlanP replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago
A bit of a close call. I hope the recovery continues steadily. It’s a bugger this getting old, that’s when we mostly get these brushes with danger.
Anyway, I just thought I hadn’t been here for a while and I should look in. This was up front. Take it steady and get well.
-
Bella replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago
Bloody Norah! (Sorry, Norah.) I have also just happened upon this. How ghastly and scary. Some aspects are all too familiar to me after a 2 week stint in hospital with evil pneumonia a couple of years ago. It’s surprising what a state we can innocently get into with no idea we are quite so ill until suddenly the ambulance has to be called. I’m…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months ago
Thanks for the kind wishes, Jill. I know you’ve had your own burden lately, and I was so pleased to hear things were going well. At the moment, progress is good. I’m not using crutches or a frame now around the house and I can make it upstairs 2 or 3 times a week for a shower, all approved by the health visitors. I still have anaemia and run out…[Read more]
-
Sandra posted an update 5 months ago
May’s monthly comp is up – something to inspire lots of you I hope!
-
Sandra started the topic Monthly competition May 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months ago
What I’d like you do for May’s competition is
1) choose a significant anniversary in your life: e.g. birthday, wedding, first child: graduation – then,
2 ) Google the UK Top 10 singles chart for that week.
3) select two, three or four song titles from that list and,
4) use them (loosely if necessary!) as a basis for a short story, of…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months ago
Thank you , Terrie, both for the challenge and your comments on both my entry and Jill’s excellently crafted, sensitive story. I’ll aim to set something for June by the end of today.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don’t think me rude that I haven’t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words are very much appreciated.
-
Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues. Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me. Jill x
-
Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction. I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn’t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic…[Read more]
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic A Step Into Indie Publishing in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for this Janette; as a Blurb self-publisher , (but not seller), I much appreciate this breakdown of your experiences .
-
Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
I’ve always found the same, right up to last week with the theatre nurse who held my hand while my eye was bring anatheasised for an op. bless him. (all well post op.)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
Honestly, nobody wants to get ill and go to hospital, but I don’t regret having met the staff. From the cleaner who I talked to a lot, to the nurses who tirelessly carried horrible pots away without a single complaint, to the consultant who (I now see) was joking/hinting about discharge when she said, ‘We must get this catheter out, unless you use…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
Crikey Moses, William, I’m heart-heartedly glad to hear you are home and hopefully on your way to some sort of recovery – what a torrid time you and your family must have gone through, and thank you for updating us so vividly.
Sendng love and the most healingest of good wishes
Sandra
-
Athelstone started the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 1 week ago
So many people have asked, ‘What’s wrong with you’ and ‘Why are you still in hospital?’, (I’m out now) that I thought a small blog might help. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people, including on this site, who have had worse problems, often for longer. But I’ve never been this ill, so I’ll press on.
In the beginning, at the very tail end…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition April 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 5 months, 3 weeks ago
Untitled
‘Gobsmacked’ the inelegant word that came to mind when I read the letter. What else would you expect , being told your three year-old daughter’s poem had been awarded first prize ? A prize which earned her up to three sittings with well-renowned portrait artist Bernard Broom. Especially when I’d not an inkling she’d written any…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
Thank you Janette – you did us proud with thoughtful comments, and well done for every other entry, all of which fitted the remit much more closely than my hastily-grabbed from a long-ago hidden in the drawer novel.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
Janette has kindly volunteered !!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months ago
Having heard Athelstone indisposed again, it’s unlikely he’ll be be judging this any time soon
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 4 weeks ago
Not yet mad enough …
Wine-heavy eyes and naked, she was cleaning her teeth in front of the bathroom mirror when he came in through the door behind her. He stood behind her, serious-faced, saying nothing, but unignorably attentive. She finished brushing. Spat, rinsed and spat a couple more times then put the toothbrush back in the glass on…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months ago
In March it seems that hares go mad. They chase each other, jump and frolic, even have boxing matches. For March, somebody has done/is doing/will do something mad. It might be you, or not – whatever you wish. 500 words maximum please before midnight on 31 March.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months ago
Thank you for such a satisfactory February topic, Libby, and for your generous appraisal! I loved the other two entries; they could easily have won.
- Load More
