-
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years ago
Just a reminder that there’s a week to go for September’s monthly competition…and for you to prove to me that ‘beige ain’t boring!’
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
Well, here I am looking out at the Haymarket tram stop in Edinburgh from a cosy AirBnB. It would have been nice to catch up with local Denizens but I have my family with me and it’s been a packed weekend around a family wedding so not much opportunity. Flying back to Sussex by the Sea later this PM so won’t be feeling much like doing responsible…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI agree with Bella that a bit of structure would be nice. It would give me a bit of a push to get going. I also think feedback is invaluable and am always willing to try and supply some.
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
Andrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years agoBeen checking out the required texts… I’m getting a bit bogged down in Sin and Syntax, (for saying the author’s currently talking about brevity, she’s going the long way round to say a lot of it!) but Writing Fiction looks easier to read. Bird by Bird’s one of my most accessible reads (was given it as a gift some years ago), and I’d add How Not…[Read more]
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
Andrew Wille’s DIY MA course 7 years agoWilling to have a go at this… Not sure how it’ll be structured in terms of posting – presumably a new forum for each unit, with each person posting within the forum? Hope it’s pretty clear, as I ‘lose’ threads so often!
-
-
Bella replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoIn theory I think the structure of a timetable is helpful. In practice, especially for a project as huge as this, I just don’t see people sticking to it very closely. Even in the self-edit course people were very variable in their contributions and that was only 6 weeks. That said, no harm in devising a timetable for people to (try to) stick to. I…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoHi Jane, do we need a common start time as it’s a DIY course? I imagine it would be nice/useful to have people at roughly the same stage, for support and encouragement, but real life and so on.
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
URGENT!!! The weekend approaches. If you wish to enter the challenge “Songs of Innocence and Experience” then you only have until Tuesday at 22:00 to join the eponymous group and make your choices.
MORE IMPORTANT STILL there are several Denizens who have joined the group but have yet to POST their choices. You must both join AND post to be in…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoA daunting expenditure on books, too … time to hie me to the library methinks.
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoA daunting amount of material, but nobody said writing would be easy.
Thanks for setting this up Raine. -
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoThanks for kicking all this off, Raine!
-
-
-
-
-
The JW self-edit course, Ath? Yes. I think even a writer as good as you would find it worthwhile. D’you want to check the syllabus first to make sure you don’t know it all already? I can supply basic details, assuming it hasn’t changed much in the past three years.
-
Yes!! Even though you know what you’re doing, there are elements of it that are still useful. I think there will be lots you already know, but in reading others’ work and particularly seeing Debi and Emma’s comments (as well as fellow readers’) is like mini-critique course in itself.
-
Ta to you both for saying some nice things…but I know I need some pushing and shoving and just straight educating. Here’s hoping the January course is a classic!
-
-
-
Best l thing I got out of it was the friendship of a core of valuable fellow-attendees; we still regularly meet, though not as often as desired and have done since January 2014.
-
YES! I think this course is so good that it will help almost anyone. I would do it again in a flash. And the one to one attention is worth the price alone!
-
Definitely not as often as desired! But agreed – the course was great, but the group of friends is greaterer.
-
Hell, yes – to all of that.
-
-
All signed up.
-
Good luck!! I kind of assumed you’d done it already! Is January the course @johnt3 is also signed up on (for his second time around)?
-
No, I’ve just started. It’s a promising and very varied bunch of writers. Good luck, Athelstone, you’ll enjoy it. PS I’d forgotten how hard the first exercise is!
-
Nope, never done it, although I’ve been on various workshops etc. that touch on some of the modules. I have a feeling it will be a very different thing to be engaged on my own work and working with a group. When I looked the Sept one was full, but I wanted another few months to write some more crap (as Julie C puts it) before starting anyway. All good.
-
-
Yay! Starting when?
-
21 January. Really looking forward to it
-
-
-
- Load More
