-
Sandra replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
‘Commission & omission’, book three in the series Love triangles with murder, is now available for sale on Blurb.
DIY promotion (which I am strenuously uncomfortable with) takes up a helluva lot of writing time. Book 4 – ‘Drink with a dead man’, whose opening 400 words was declared winner of Raine’s monthly competition, isn’t likely to see…[Read more]
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years ago
So it turns out that Amazon can reformat your ebook when you upload it for Kindle. Who knew?
And I’d been blaming the publisher for all the extra line breaks, large text and blank pages…
-
Amazon is a menace, but we seem to be stuck with them if we want to sell books
-
I’m currently attempting to re-format my novels for publishing as ebooks – fiendishly tricky at times and not sure I’ve cracked it yet – sudden and random centering of paragraphs or indents, to say nothing of the change in fonts. A good reason to stick with print IMHO!
-
There’s definitely a knack to formatting ebooks but it’s easy when you’ve got the hang of it. I recommend the Smashwords Style Guide to get yoy started (perma free in ebook). And I might be able to help point people in the right direction if anyone is really stuck?
-
Some extra spaces end up turning into extra lines…apparently. SO glad it’s not up to me to do the formatting.
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Longest shadows reach, book 2 in the Love triangles with murder series now available
โStep so graveโ indicated a wealth of history between Luke Darbyshere and Baz Rose. Theyโd been born within a week of each other; lived half mile apart, in a Hertfordshire village small enough to allow no escape. Each had successfully come through adole…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years ago
Joining and choosing, joining and choosing! A brief reminder that there are fewer than 10 days to join “Songs of Innocence & Experience”.
We now have 26 members and 19 choices.
-
Baz Baron replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years ago
Je MโAppelle Missy (384 inluding title)
A sweet voice announced, “Je MโAppelle Missy”.
I looked up from the menu and immediately two sets of Brown eyes burned into each other.
An awkward smile later and my schoolboy French produced a stunted smile from the young waitress which turned into a guffaw, like that of surprising a toddler wit…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years ago
Phew – and thanks. The Orkney Distillery is gin, not whisky, and given the amount of free gin, good value as well as entertaining.
-
Kate replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
‘Step do Grave’ was definitely after the distillery! ๐
-
Sandra replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Damn! Sorry @Raine (AND I posted that before the distillery tour!)
Hopefully my name &/or ‘Step do grave’ ought to find me – links I see might not be different.
-
Sandra replied to the topic DIY soapbox in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
I’ve a couple of reviews on Blurb already, but would be pleased for a few more – honest ones, of course, (I’m not wanting to bit it up for sales) just whether you enjoyed (or didn’t) and why. Or Goodreads.
‘Longest shadows reach’ and ‘Commission and omission’ will be added within a couple of weeks – unless I get them out there I’ll fiddle with…[Read more]
-
Kate replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Thanks everyone. I’m still floating around in the clouds. Hopefully at the end of the month I will be able to put up a link so you can take a look. ๐
-
Squidge replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant news, Kate – well done!!!!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant, Kate – mega congratulations!!!! Really well done!!!
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Brilliant, Kate. Well done!
-
Bella replied to the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
YAY! That is super news. Very, very well done. Are we allowed to see the piece?
-
Kate started the topic Flash fiction success in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
I’ve just received an e-mail saying I was awarded first place in the Jersey Festival of Words flash fiction competition! I’m bouncing off the walls!
I get to go to a ceremony and everything! I’ll just add a few more of these !!!!!! to show how excited I am. It’s lovely to have a little success in the sea of rejections!!
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 1 month ago
Anyone from York dropping in to the Den over this weekend? How did Friday Night Live go? How’s Janette’s wheels? And have you all spent a fortune at the bar yet?
Say hi to all the Denizens and cloudies from me.
-
Good fun. John’s was easily the best but he didn’t win ๐ Drank my way through a week’s pocket money on Friday. Bit green on Saturday morning. Enjoyable so far. Series of new 2 hour workshops called ‘labs’ this year. Went to Jail Duncan’s “World Building” and he still overran by 25 minutes. He used the f-adjective so many times that after the…[Read more]
-
A blog will be nice. Iโve missed catching up.
-
Looking forward to the blog. Missed the real thing. (Would never like to go to another of H Duncan’s workshops, if that’s who you mean, though I know some think they’re great.)
Specially sorry to miss John’s reading, which I can quite believe was the best, and seeing ‘Cloudies’/Denizens. Maybe next year. There’s been lots of ‘family stuff’ this…[Read more]
-
-
Oh, what a shame for John. Hope he got some interest though from the agents? I don’t remember Hal Duncan using the f-bomb when I sat in his workshops a few years ago.
Fingers crossed that next year, I might be able to go again; currently in the throes of getting T ready for uni a week on Monday (a week earlier than we thought, thanks to Freshers…[Read more] -
A blog will be very interesting. Thanks, Ath.
-
Blog, please, Ath.
-
-
Yes, HAL not Jail – never was great at typing onto a phone. Blog when my mind’s all connected back up and the M1 is out of my bloodstream.
-
Hal is the weegie, right? He cracks me up slightly & yeah, I remember some pretty fluent swearing going on.
Hurray for @johnt3 doing so well. I’m not surprised his reading was fantastic. ๐-
The scooter went very well, thanks, @squidge. I couldn’t have done York without it (and the help of our friend group, who were awesome). Debi created a messenger group to help us communicate (and so that I could call out for help when needed), which was a brilliant idea and worked so well, I think it should be repeated, injuries or not, next year.…[Read more]
-
-
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 1 month ago
Looking forward to hearing about York from everyone who’s going… Have a fab time and may you have plenty of ink in your pens! x
-
John T posted an update 7 years, 1 month ago
Heading to York knowing that I’m performing in Friday Night Live and I have a sore throat. This could be the first ever FNL in sign language!
-
Bestest of best luck. ๐
Keep us up to date, please.-
Will be sending healing vibes all the way, John. And keeping fingers and toes crossed for you x
-
Thank you!
-
Thank you both! I can’t reply directly to Seagreen for some computerish reason xxx
-
-
Whisky and lemon and honey. Then you’ll do brilliant. Good luck.
-
My favourite remedy x
-
Good luck @johnt3! Yes, whisky for that smokey, throaty burr. That and your wurdz together will knock ’em dead ๐ Enjoy!
-
-
-
Good luck. I hope the throat sorts itself out in time.
-
We’ll try to get a Cloudie table together to cheer you on to your inevitable victory, John!
-
Good luck, John. Rooting for you. And hope you feel better soon x
-
Didn’t see this – good luck, John. I’ll be cheering you on remotely. BUt also, doing a reading in sign would be so utterly amazing and inclusive and beautiful!
-
-
Squidge started the topic Tilda of Merjan Book Launch in the forum Podium 7 years, 1 month ago
Folks did ask when I was going to do a launch – details here: https://squidgesscribbles.blogspot.com/2019/09/book-launch-tilda-of-merjan.html
It’s a full daytime event in half term, although half term seems to run over two weeks and this is the first of the two.
But I have been wondering whether any Denizens would be up for an evening…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic September 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 1 month ago
Early because I’m about to go on holiday (and yes, Squidge, definitely Valspar!)
Battle drab (400 words including title)
DS Fran Lloyd had visited Lucy before; remembered the picture window framing a stunning view of Edinburghโs Castle perched on its volcanic mound; the stepped backsides of the buildings fronting the Royal Mile and a sliver o…[Read more]
- Load More
