-
Sandra replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I’d agree with you Jane, ‘less is more’ works for violent scenes much as it does for sex scenes, though I suppose you’d have to work harder so as to bring something fresh for the readers’ mind to work on.
Those long, graphic scenes can be effective, up to a point but can tun as many off as they do on, so go with your gut feeling. -
Athelstone posted an update 8 years ago
@sandradavies Wow, Sandra. That comp entry’s a bit special! There’s a big story in there.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
Earth and smoke and iron
It were an odd one and no mistake. She were odd. Educated; not from round here. ‘Otherworldly’ some might say.
She lugged it in, wrapped up in brown paper, tied with string. Knots sealed with blobs of scarlet wax.
‘You’ll ‘after tell me what’s in it, lass –‘
‘A coat. An army one. That’s what’s the smell –‘
I sniffed. A…[Read more] -
John S Alty posted an update 8 years ago
I’m going to Mallorca for a few days, but I’ll be watching you.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Agent Samantha Wekstein reopening for subs in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
@Stevie – definitely sounds worth a shot
@alanr – no idea but thought it might warrant further exploration (and we may even have some US based people here anyway)
-
Daedalus started the topic Agent Samantha Wekstein reopening for subs in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Agent Samantha Wekstein has announced she is reopening to queries and wants to see ‘books in which girls or women burn the patriarchy to the ground’
On Monday I open to queries again. And I'd like to see some books in which girls or women burn the patriarchy to the ground. #MSWL
— Samantha Wekstein (@SWekstein) September 28, 2018
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Great writing Seagreen. I thought it was a winner as soon as I read it. Super competition Daeds and what a great effort with all the feedback!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Help with setting in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I’m in Loughborough – I wouldn’t call it quaint or pretty…like any town, there are bits like that, but not in the town centre. I suppose it depends on where most of the action happens…
Not sure where you’re based, Philippa, but happy to show you round if you want to see it!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
Nice prompt… Looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into this one.
-
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Thanks, Daeds, a valid point and I appreciate the input.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Thanks John. Mostly I meant that you make us feel what it was like so well, the few places where you just tell us something directly stood out – e.g. ‘but the loss of his attendance bonus would have been intolerable’ – I would have preferred a sense of what intolerable meant to them. But it’s a seriously picky point for such a short word count…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Well done Seagreen, fully deserved.
Thanks, Daeds. Yes, I was in SA for the election. What do you mean by “on the nose”? -
Daedalus replied to the topic I've gone and done it again! in the forum Podium 8 years ago
Absolutely delighted for you Janette -thoroughly deserved of course
-
Jules replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Well done, Sea 🙂 A very well deserved win. And thanks Daed for getting the ball rolling. Great monthly comp.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Well done, Sea! And thanks for setting us off on a monthly comp journey again here in the Den, Daeds.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
I just amended the post to tag people, which I’d forgotten to do before. I hope people get notifications of tags when it’s an edited post? Oh well, we’ll find out
-
Sandra replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Well done Sea – a breath-stopping piece beautifully (dare I say?) conceived.
-
Bella replied to the topic Violence and mental illness in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Whisks, I agree. Good on you for getting that training. And for myself I would have a go if I really had to. I am not small and I am strong, plus my boxing training means I can get force into a punch. But the club owns a duty of care to its members and I am putting it on notice that even if the first incident came out of the blue they can’t use t…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Thank you so much to everyone who entered the first Den of Writers monthly competition. We now have a whole new section of the forum just for the monthly comp, so all future versions will be held there. Here’s the link: https://www.denofwriters.com/forums/forum/den-of-writers/monthly-competition/
For those not familiar with the monthly c…[Read more]
- Load More
