@sandradavies
Active 2 minutes ago-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Kate, I think I am may have let my decision to keep the violence short stop the scene from developing in other ways so I’ve been working on that but I can see, nevertheless, that the violence has been threatened for a long time and I’ve ramped up the tension and fear leading up to it and maybe that is why it seems a let down.
-
Kate replied to the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I’m with you and Sandra on not going graphic. Ramping up the PD and inferring what’s going on rather than full on graphic is definitely my preferred route. BUT, don’t ignore feedback either. What percentage of your Beta readers had this reaction? Could you ask the ones who didn’t mention this how they felt. It may be you’re being too short and…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff started the topic Violence in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I am struggling with editing a couple of violent scenes in my WIP. They need to be there. My preference is to keep them short and allusive (spelling?) and leave the reader’s imagination to do the work but a couple of beta readers have felt cheated. I’d post them but they make no sense out of context. Any advice?
-
Giselle replied to the topic I've gone and done it again! in the forum Podium 8 years ago
Congratulations! I’m so excited for you, that’s such great news. *lifts glass of wine*
-
Giselle replied to the topic Festival Dreams in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Coming in late as I’ve been plunged in post-York wip modifications.
Mandy, you were brilliant, funny, natural, endearing, strong and gracious. Like many, I’ve followed your journey, but to hear it all, from the beginning to now, was just wonderful.
Seeing so many of you at York really charged my batteries. There were definitely less cloudies this…[Read more] -
Janette posted an update 8 years ago
@sandradavies – your comp. Wow, moody, gritty and tension filled. Nail on the head, I’d say for Haloween.
-
Ah … hadn’t thought Halloween so much as WWI – thanks for reading and appreciating.
-
Of course – a re-read, bearing that in mind, cast another light altogether and Ioved it all the more. I suppose I just had halloween on my mind.
-
In fairness, there’s not so much of a reference to WWI as there was in the tale from which this developed.
-
-
-
-
Raine posted an update 8 years ago
So, off on holiday tmrw. Printed off first 50pp of wip. What are the odds on my actually editing any of them?
-
Pretty much zero if you’re anything like me but it’s hard to leave it behind completely. Enjoy your holiday. The down time is good for refreshing ideas!
-
However many (or few) you manage, hope you have a nice, restful catch-up with your mum x
-
Depends on the weather … and the opportunities for writing time. Have a great time, anyways.
-
-
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Thanks, all. And I hope some of you will try your hand at October’s.
-
Athelstone posted an update 8 years ago
@sandradavies Wow, Sandra. That comp entry’s a bit special! There’s a big story in there.
-
Raine replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Forgot to check in on this – A totally deserved win, @seagreen! 🙂
-
John S Alty posted an update 8 years ago
I’m going to Mallorca for a few days, but I’ll be watching you.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Agent Samantha Wekstein reopening for subs in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
@Stevie – definitely sounds worth a shot
@alanr – no idea but thought it might warrant further exploration (and we may even have some US based people here anyway)
-
Stevie replied to the topic Agent Samantha Wekstein reopening for subs in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Think she might be interested in an urban fantasy set in modern day Edinburgh with orcs, goblins, kidnappings, house breaking, world walking, friendship, betrayal and moderate to heavy drinking. And, of course, a patriarchy being burned to the ground?
-
Daedalus started the topic Agent Samantha Wekstein reopening for subs in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Agent Samantha Wekstein has announced she is reopening to queries and wants to see ‘books in which girls or women burn the patriarchy to the ground’
On Monday I open to queries again. And I'd like to see some books in which girls or women burn the patriarchy to the ground. #MSWL
— Samantha Wekstein (@SWekstein) September 28, 2018
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Den monthly competition September 2018 in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Great writing Seagreen. I thought it was a winner as soon as I read it. Super competition Daeds and what a great effort with all the feedback!
-
Squidge replied to the topic Help with setting in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
I’m in Loughborough – I wouldn’t call it quaint or pretty…like any town, there are bits like that, but not in the town centre. I suppose it depends on where most of the action happens…
Not sure where you’re based, Philippa, but happy to show you round if you want to see it!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Example Cover Letter in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Hi @alanr,
Great! That makes sense. I think all of the points you make about how the manananggal operates within Galina could be turned into a great hook in your blurb, while also satisfactorily answering the agent’s burning question of ‘how does this possession thing work?’
A final couple of super-picky points.
I would be wary of ‘selling’…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Help with setting in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago
Thanks guys, and sorry for my slow reply (I am currently on a canal boat!)
These are all extremely helpful ideas, great brainstorming. I am going to take some time to digest it all and see what speaks to me.
I do like the idea of a fairly “quaint” or “middle class pretty” town which contrasts with the trauma of abduction. Also the theme (which…[Read more]
-
Bren replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 8 years ago
Seagreen, what a juicy idea. I will try on paper and see where it leads. I haven’t written anything for years.
- Load More
