@sandradavies
Active 3 hours, 37 minutes ago-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – October 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 12 months ago
Lost and Found and Lost
Arthur was rooting through a drawer in the garage, the one reserved for plumbing parts, searching for a tap washer. His gnarled hands scrabbled through off-cuts of plastic water pipe, white nylon fittings, a flushing mechanism still in its packaging, old tobacco tins holding copper olives, bolts, nuts and split pins. No…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoI’m going to have a go at ‘writing gorgeous’ but I thought I’d pick a passage I’d already written and try and ‘beautify’ it. Personally I think a little of some of the examples goes a long way. The Kipling and the Molly Gloss, I love, and I think that’s because the ‘gorgeousness’ doesn’t obstruct the sense but enhances it. The other two, I’m not…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoStarted on an impromptu dialogue capture while Billy-no-mates in the pub prior to NIBS on Weds. Worst bit is trying to capture the dialogue (background noise, speed of dialogue) and not getting annoyed at people who like the sound of their own voice. 😉 But I now know a lot about CBD oil… and eating peas.
Oh, and does anyone understand what…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThank Jules and Bella. I have now booked a trip to the UK at the end of October (to visit family rather than purely to record people) and I’ll do some recording then.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoOoooh the Hadron Collider is a good one although I did watch a TV programme about it, I think, but still am none the wiser. Funnily enough this was the first exercise I tried. There is something about it that just made me start automatically. By the way, we are all posting in the wrong thread.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoOh, the Hadron Collider! Now there’s something else I know nothing about!
For me, the fun is in the not knowing and the annoyance is trying to list the things that wouldn’t automatically come to mind because I know nothing about them anyway. If that makes sense? -
Bella replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months ago@Seagreen – I’ve just finished reading the first chapter of Burroway and nearly all of the writing prompts make sense to me (in that I can see how I can write something) but the ‘things I know nothing about’ suggestion has me rather stumped.If I truly know nothing about it (and the Mariana Trench qualifies for me, too!) then what is there to…[Read more]
-
Bella replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months ago@janeshuff – not read this thread but it may have something useful in it
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoFavourite thing on the list of ‘Things I know nothing about’ (and there are six so far) – the Mariana Trench.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Writing Practice: Year 1 in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoFeel like I’m going to fall at the first hurdle, as my diary over the next few weeks is chokka, and I’ve never been a very disciplined writer.
But – am going to try to get one definite session of at least a couple of hours under my belt every week, day to be flexible.
-
Jules replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months ago@janeshuff try going on Youtube and looking for News items. Pick somewhere English speakinh and aim for a local news report. I’ve found there’s lots of excerpts of dialogue in local interest stories that way.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Craft Seminar Class 1: Getting Started: Memory, Obs in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoCan I leap in early and say that I would really like to do the overheard dialogue exercise, but I’m in France without access to native English speakers other than my OH and he’s a man of few words. If anyone else does this exercise, might they be able to share the recordings with me? Or does anyone have any ideas where I can find real dialogue on…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThis is marvellous, WB. My books should arrive tomorrow!
-
Kate replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 6 years, 12 months agoThanks, Wooleybeans, this is all looking great. Just waiting on the books before digging in.
-
Bella replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoI agree with all proposals.
Can’t wait!
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoAgree that posting on the main wall for each unit would be a good idea.
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoYep might be a good idea. I’ll do that tmrw unless anyone disagrees… We could post on the main wall to announce new units so anyone interested can join.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoJust a thought, but should we make this a private group now. Not because I want to exclude anyone but it’s liable to clutter up the ‘all member’s activity wall’ once we all start contributing. What do you all (including those who don’t plan to do the MA) think?
-
Raine replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoMy lovely books have arrived. If anyone needs it, I’m happy to share photos of the relevant pages (Aside from CalMac ferry vagaries, I don’t want anyone excluded because of book costs). This site doesn’t let you post pictures, I believe (?) but I can do it by email or fb. Just shout…
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Syllabus and course materials. in the forum
Andrew Wille's DIY MA course 7 years agoWoolleybeans, I think we’re all queuing in the playground waiting for the classrooms to appear and have thankfully shoved the responsibility onto you to produce them!
- Load More
