-
Daedalus replied to the topic Multiple Den Success in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Thanks Squidge, Sea and Kaz! Just to say a bit more about this, Hell’s Empire is a linked anthology based around the premise of a demonic invasion of Victorian Britain at the end of the 19th century. I’d suggest ‘War of the Worlds’ but with demons in place of the aliens’ as an elevator pitch, but that wouldn’t really do it justice, as there’s a…[Read more]
-
Daedalus started the topic Multiple Den Success in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Hi all. First of all apologies for the absence, but things have been rather busy with writing and the puppy. I want to take time to mention this, though, as itβs a publication featuring no fewer than four Denizens – @woolleybeans, @jillybean, @madiguana and your servant.
Hellβs Empire – Tales of the Incursion
A unique anthology of two thr…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years, 4 months ago
Have thoroughly enjoyed reading the monthly competition entries so far. Glad I’m not judging.
-
Gerry Fenge replied to the topic Prose-Ode to Waterstones CafΓ©, York Minster and a Couple of Streets in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Why thank you kindly, good Kate. What lovely things to say! (There – I even gave it an exclamation mark…)
-
Gerry Fenge started the topic Prose-Ode to Waterstones CafΓ©, York Minster and a Couple of Streets in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Iβm sitting upstairs in Waterstones cafΓ© and trying to switch myself on β slot into gear, slide into alignment β but the dear old brain is too full of mush.
Iβve already chatted with the cheery folk behind the counter, bantered about their tattoos, bought an overly virtuous falafel-and-hummus wrap, swept crumbs from a table, sat down with my…[Read more]
-
Jules replied to the topic MIR folktale festival short story comp. in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 4 months ago
Thanks, Raine. Looks good 😊
-
Gerry Fenge replied to the topic Unediting in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Anyone else do the trim-the-syllables for tightness – and then restore-the-syllables for flow?
-
-
Gerry Fenge replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 4 months ago
Is it available anywhere to read?
-
Gerry Fenge started the topic On Submerging and Re-emerging in the forum Blogs 7 years, 4 months ago
Hereβs how it might go. You attend a Festival of Writing and β clever you β wangle three One-to-Ones, from which the comments are: (a) not so good, (b) a bit better, and (c) not bad at all. So, semi-encouraged, you decide to blast through the redrafting process to completion. Focus-focus-focus. You disappear from social media until finally, hey h…[Read more]
-
Gerry Fenge posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone, I’ve been more absent than present here so don’t feel I have the right to say much as yet – except, gosh, look how many people I (digitally) know, great to see the faces and aliases again.
I was wondering what people think to the new Jericho Townhouse. Iβd hoped it would be like the old Word Cloud, but it lacks the same sort o…[Read more]
-
I’m inclined to agree with you, Gerry. The Jericho layout doesn’t help, but also, to a large extent, we have necessarily become more wary of committing time and energy to sites which may disappear without warning.
Also, I suspect quite a lot of us are getting on with writing.-
I’m finding it very difficult to use. Have joined a group and posted something but now can’t locate it or the original comment it was a response to. This isn’t a plea for help, just a statement. I’ll battle on for a while. Am keeping a word.docx copy of any critiques I give in case I have to post them again.
-
I can locate the group but not my post.
-
Hi Gerry! How are things?
-
Things are fab-groovy, super-duper, thank you. I hope and trust the fab-grooviness etc is equally well experienced by you and indeed all Denizens.
-
-
-
-
-
Definitely clunky, and the front page timeline doesn’t have the same feel. I received a notification that someone had written something on my timeline, but can I figure out where that timeline is!
-
It wasn’t me, Kate. I hadn’t even thought about timelines π π Yesterday I thought I’d ‘liked’ myself by mistake, but heaven only knows …
Some of this is my own lack of skill.-
I’m not sure liking yourself should be a mistake. π π π
-
-
-
Lovely to see you Gerry. I’ve not joined Jericho, like @athelstone says, I’m leery of investing time in a platform that may or may not remain open to me. This Den has its own clunky foibles, but I think I’ll stick to mooching around in here as and when I am efficient enough to get online with time to spare!
-
Gerry, if being absent was a disqualification I’d be booted out by now. To my mind, the new Townhouse has the problem of overcoming the old Townhouse. There’s an attempt to push a “wow this is awsome” mood and this, combined with the staff being very evident, is a bit unwelcoming. Awsomeness(?) comes with the people who contribute and there are…[Read more]
-
Great to hear from people – quite like the old days β how nice. Sandra’s comment ‘I suspect quite a lot of us are getting on with writing’ inspires me to consider writing a blog (on submerging and re-emerging β a sort of rhythm that I suspect a lot of us follow).
Itβs been sad to lose the Cloud’s timeline – it was a real plus of SocialGo, and w…[Read more]
-
😀
-
Write the blog @gerryfenge.
-
-
-
-
This place exists because a bunch of us saw the Cloud thinning out and dispersing and decided we’d better have somewhere to drift off to.
-
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
Just back from Mallorca with lots of new writing ideas. Well, one.
I see we have a few more spammists – they’re getting smarter, using names and not anagrams! -
Athelstone replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
What would be ideal is an option to indent and insert replies following an entry so that they were clustered after the entry to which they refer. I haven’t seen enough of WordPress or BBpress etc. to be certain, but I think that reply threading only introduces indentation to nest replies, in the same way that replies are handled for “updates”. All…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
I think you have to activate reply threading, but I don’t know for sure.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Unfortunately, AFAIK (which may be completely wrong) WordPress and its plug-ins only allow a single chain of posts, the idea being that you have a Topic followed by Replies to it. So the thread might go something like ENTRY1 – Comment on ENTRY1 – Comment on ENTRY1 – ENTRY2 – Comment on ENTRY1 – ENTRY3 – Comment on ENTRY2 etc. which is likely to be…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Yes, I like all of those. I never really understood the Cloud thing of ‘comment on the person’s wall but not on the thread’. This thing is pretty informal anyway. So Perhaps we can allow, indeed encourage, comments, with the slight caveat that people don’t go heavy on crit or be negative.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Guidelines suggest not posting on the thread with the entries, until after judging is complete, but you can make a general discussion comment tagging the appropriate person. I think I have that correct.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Sorry I was MIA recently – thanks to all for contributing and it looks as though youβve all sorted things. Well done, going to look at new comp stuff now
-
John S Alty posted an update 7 years, 5 months ago
For anyone wishing to avoid me over on JT, I’m Wildman. (I’m not really wild at all, Wild is my mother’s maiden name).
I’m having fun trying to spot Denizens over there, it’s quite tricky. -
John S Alty replied to the topic Bi-Monthly Comp – May/June 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 5 months ago
Untitled
The pirogue nudged its way between the cypress stumps, lily pads parting in its path and reuniting in its wake. The only sounds came from the rustle of leaves in the slight breeze and the occasional slap and roil of a feeding bass. It was late afternoon; a low sun dappled the brown surface of the bayou and the shadows pointed like…[Read more]
- Load More
