@woolleybeans
Active 6 months ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for all the kind wishes. Please don’t think me rude that I haven’t responded individually. I still find messaging quite an effort. Your words are very much appreciated.
-
RichardB replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
So glad to see you back, Ath – I was beginning to be afraid we never would.
And as it turns out, we nearly didn’t. My God, what a time you’ve had. All my best wishes for your continued recovery, and I do hope that the issue still hanging over you turns out to be not too catastrophic.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
What an experience! I’m just glad you’re home and on the mend. Credit to you for maintaining a positive mindset and to Mrs Ath for being amazing!
Not sure if you know, Ath, but positive feedback for specific nurses ‘Natalie did this, Esme supported me with that’ can be used for their revalidation. Just saying. ☺️
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Honestly, nobody wants to get ill and go to hospital, but I don’t regret having met the staff. From the cleaner who I talked to a lot, to the nurses who tirelessly carried horrible pots away without a single complaint, to the consultant who (I now see) was joking/hinting about discharge when she said, ‘We must get this catheter out, unless you use…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
Hell, Ath, this is too much for one person to put up with, and must have been (and continues to be) very frightening. I really do hope that the ‘frightening bit’ is treatable, and that you get an upturn in health very soon. Thinking of you loads and sending positive vibes your way.
-
Athelstone started the topic A bit "poorly" in the forum Blogs 5 months, 2 weeks ago
So many people have asked, ‘What’s wrong with you’ and ‘Why are you still in hospital?’, (I’m out now) that I thought a small blog might help. Don’t get me wrong, there are many people, including on this site, who have had worse problems, often for longer. But I’ve never been this ill, so I’ll press on.
In the beginning, at the very tail end…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Simple, I thought – judge a few stories for the March competition while Ath is out of action (Ath, if you’re reading this, sending BIG healing vibes and willing a speedy recovery). But – what a dilemma to be handed. These are all excellent and worthy to be winners in their own right.
But judge I must, as promised, so here are my thoughts:
Jill -…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
Damn! It messed with my formatting 🙁
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 1 week ago
The madness is all mine for thinking I could do this!
All words taken from Rod Judkins’ The Art of Creative Thinking.
DRIBBLES AND SPATTERS
Inner demons
chisel
creative confidence
Ideas so strange
wither.
Radiate defiance
Salvage mistakes with freedom
and
transform the message
Come alive!
-
Janette started the topic A Step Into Indie Publishing in the forum Blogs 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Several weeks ago, I posted that I had stopped seeking representation for my book, Grace (full title to be revealed with the book cover), and go down the Indi path. As a complete publishing novice, my first reaction was ‘where the hell do I begin?’ And, for those others wondering the same thing, promised I would report back on anything I had don…[Read more]
-
Thank you. This is really useful information. It’s a lot of work – hope things move along smoothly for you.
-
Thanks, Bella. Gwynn GB warned it was a lot of work done properly, but to treat it as a business. It seems though, that you don’t escape any of the marketing work if taken on via trad publishing. Yes, let’s hope the work pays off – fingers crossed.
-
-
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
In March it seems that hares go mad. They chase each other, jump and frolic, even have boxing matches. For March, somebody has done/is doing/will do something mad. It might be you, or not – whatever you wish. 500 words maximum please before midnight on 31 March.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for such a satisfactory February topic, Libby, and for your generous appraisal! I loved the other two entries; they could easily have won.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Teabreak in love
Maureen Chapman. No, tell a lie, it was Chaplain, like a vicar. Her name, I mean—she wasn’t like a vicar. Anyway, Maureen Chaplain was perfect from my ten-year-old point of view. But I’m getting all jumbled up about how to start, so I’ll take a breath. See, it really began when the Brazells moved out from next door and the Cha…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Some very sad news for old Cloudies, which I suppose is most of us. I’ve just heard that Barb (Barbara Dawn Ettridge) died in Australia just over a week ago. Barb was funny, sharp, a great writer, and a good friend. Details are here:…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months ago
Terrie, I had a tricky January but that’s no excuse. Sorry for missing a super monthly comp. Well done Libby, a really great entry. Well done all.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
I know that feeling. I was also a government employee who found himself parcelled up and sold to the highest bidder, or at least the one that made the most empty promises and said the things that our betters at the high table wanted to hear. I recall now how our managers queued up to tell us what a good thing it was and, yes, they used that exact…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
One early morning in 1989, about a year-and-a-half after I’d transferred out of the district bus office to become a bus driver, I arrived for work at the bus garage to find that overnight new logos had appeared on the buses. In fact the engineering staff – mechanics and maintenance workers – were still sticking the last ones on. They bore the wor…[Read more]
-
John T replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
We must venture that way. We’re at the other side of Bannau Brycheiniog near Abergavenny.
-
RichardB replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
In the few months since I wrote this blog about ‘our’ pub, the Ancient Briton has won – count them – four awards:
Welsh Pub of the Year;
Welsh Eatery of the Year;
Welsh Gastropub of the Year;
First Place, Welsh Good Food Awards.
As I said before, it seems that the owners, Nils and Emma, are doing something right.
It so happens that we have a…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Happy fairly-new-year, everyone! I’ve written very little in the last three months for health reasons, but I’m slowly winding back up again. I’ve found a (hopefully acceptable) way to take part in September Song, and I’m returning to blow the dust and cobwebs off my WIP.
- Load More

Hi! I have been wondering how you are getting on, as we work through our own health issues. Sending best wishes and hoping writing is helping you as it is me. Jill x
Improving slowly. Not steadily, but mainly in the right direction. I finally had a chat with my GP where he was a little less vague. He told me that it isn’t something GPs see every day, but in his experience the recovery period after discharge is between 6 months and a year. With some older patients, and depending on the severity of the septic…[Read more]