Getting an Agent.

About Forums Den of Writers Blogs Getting an Agent.

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    Philippa East
    Participant

Yes, there’s been previous discussions about this. Bottom line, no need to copyright (or to put that copyright “c” on any docs.)

Putting that “c” on looks naive at best, narcissistic at worst!

Alan Rain
    Participant

@Johnalty That’s what I thought.

@Raine
    My first reaction, too. Said author has since rubbished the idea. But otoh, every activity known to mankind has its share of cheats.

Alan Rain
    Participant

@PhilippaEast That’s good to know. But I only recently took mine off, and fortunately before I sent my 50 pages off to agents.
    When I started writing it, there was plenty of advice to include the “c”.

Just out of interest, at FOW18 (Sunday) did you have the chestnut hair? At one talk I sat behind a lady with vivid hair of that colour, and afterwards wondered if it was you.

Daedalus
    Participant

I suspect there might be a difference between US and UK practice as far as copyright goes. In the UK, copyright is presupposed so you don’t need to do anything to assert it. In the US it may be a bit less clear cut

Philippa East
    Participant

Hi @alanr. My hair IS kind of chestnut, but I wouldn’t call it vivid! So don’t think that was me…. Hope we will cross paths another time.

Yes @daedalus – I suspect there is a US / UK split. The writer I knew who kept putting “c”s on things was from the States.

I think I recall @Debi weighing in on the discussion previously to say no “c” required? @Debi??

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Philippa East.
    Debi Alper
    Participant

You called, ma’am? Yes, no ‘c’ required for the reasons already given on this thread. It sends out a signal that you don’t really know how this stuff works, which is less-than professional.

John S Alty
    Participant

@daedalus The law in the USA is basically the same, copyright rests with the creator as soon as the creation is in a tangible form. The difference is litigation, America’s national sport. To defend, or attack, is far less complex and expensive if you’ve registered the copyright. But, an important point, just putting the C-mark on your work, without registration, has no effect when it comes to litigation.

Philippa East
    Participant

Thanks for the clarity @debi and @johnalty

Viewing 8 posts - 91 through 98 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.