Almost there for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
Almost there for the Monthly Competition. Hurry, hurry, hurry!
powered by bulletin

Monthly Comp – June 2022

About Forums Den of Writers Monthly Competition Monthly Comp – June 2022

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Knicks
    Participant

Ohai! Okay, for June’s prompt I’d like you to consider your emotional landscape. What is the most constant and persistent feeling that rears its head on the horizon of you, lately? What calls to it? For what resolution does it come seeking?

In no more than 500 words, paint a portrait exploring this pervasive emotion. Your entry can either be centered around what best evokes and excites the feeling, or you can simply use the feeling itself as inspiration for wherever your imagination takes you with it.

Looking forward to most splendid and varietal contributions. Enjoy! ✨

Sandra
    Participant

Thoughts for today

Writing this on the fifth day of June – my daughter’s 51st birthday and the third day of the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations of a reign of 70 years – my memories span a similar length of time. In June 1953, once again off school and suffering with the recurring pain of a persistent ear infection, my mother attempted to divert me with a blank scrap book; magazines packed with pre-Coronation pictures, scissors and (presumably) some sort of glue. I remember my impatience with the time and care required to snip carefully around the intricacies of coach wheels and bejewelled tiaras as vividly as I do my solitary wait in June 1971; in a high-ceilinged, cream-painted hospital room, my state of mind more curious than nervous. aware that, this baby choosing to arrive 4 ½ weeks early I’d missed out on ante-natal classes (and that my ignorance matched my stupidity in choosing ‘Anna Karenina’ as a suitably lengthy book to fill the time.)

A sense of being contained within a glass bubble kept me calm and the final slither of well-lubricated limbs told me it was done (although I questioned their assurance it was a daughter, weighing a bit above 4 ½ pounds) since instinct told me to expect a son.)

Looking back I recognise that this balance of ignorance as to what was to come, followed by dealing as best I can (good intentions often distorted by further ignorance, but always ameliorated by the support of my husband) is what has  got me through life so far.

I’m less blithely optimistic, unable to remain ignorant of the fact I’ve exceeded my three score years and ten; that the horizon will stay distant for much longer, but can’t complain I’ve not had my share of sunrises. Though I’ve never yet read ‘Anna Karenina’)

Alex
    Participant

The Last Resort of the Coward

Of all the days today could be, it had to choose July 28.

Abbie flung the tiger-orange chunks of squash into the rusty stock pot. Her tangled turmoil of hair, too grey for someone so young, squeezed under the itchy hairnet.

She zapped the lemon-scented spray to wrestle the stench of rotten cabbage.  Thank goodness guests at the resort didn’t see the kitchen.

Her cellphone vibrated in her pants pocket.  Sinews she didn’t know existed stiffened.   It was them calling.

If it was a call telling her she’d won a new Shure SM58 Madonna sang into, it wouldn’t have mattered as much as this call.

Termination awaited staff who used their phones during their shifts.  Only Walter, backing her and chopping celery in a rapid-fire rhythm, was in the cluttered kitchen but he was a motormouth.

But if she ignored the vibrating phone, they would take matters in their hands.  Maybe, she could change their minds.  If she couldn’t, puke-inducing pills loomed ahead.  She never had the gift of coaxing.

Abbie inhaled.  Clicked the green button on the traitorous phone.

“It’s been ninety days ma’am.” The man’s voice was monotone, like he was reading a broccoli casserole recipe.  And not as if unless Abbie could convince him otherwise, he was about to dump her heart in a ten-speed blender.

“You only know it’s been ninety days,” she whispered. “Because this island is so tiny, everyone knows everything.”

The unbroken tempo of Walter’s knife striking the cutting board whisked through the stifling air.

“It’s company policy ma’am.”

Her warm wedding ring cradled her finger.  She wiped her moist palm against her harsh polyester pants.

Company policy.  The last resort of the coward hiding behind stupid rules.

She wasn’t ready after ninety days.  Ninety  days was a long time to stick to a gym program.  Impressive time to not touch a cigarette.  But ninety days was milliseconds to return a phone number.

She had not cleaned out his closet with his beloved snowman-covered ties.  Didn’t change the soft sheets since Eternal Rest Funeral Homes took his body.

“I’ll keep paying the bill.”

“It’s company policy.  The phone number must be returned.”

The smooth skin of her hands lied, hiding the wiping and scouring which packed her nights.  Those nights she couldn’t meet his softhearted eyes for fear he might see at her core she was drained and wanted the struggle to be over.

Dr. Shelby said she should take as much time as she needed.  Who was Sunshine Telecoms to demand she give up his number?

Her limbs felt like blanched zucchini.  She leaned on the smudgy fridge.

A random islander would take his number.  Replace his smiling profile picture.  Delete his voice, comforting like a warm blanket, from the voicemail message.

Her voice broke. “What if I don’t?”

The man’s deep exhale carried over the line.  Steam swirled from the pot and disappeared, unable to defy the laws of physics.

His voice was a scalpel.  “You have no choice.”

Word Count:500 words

Athelstone

Darn it! Sorry Knicks. It’s a great theme and I meant to have a go, but things just got away from me this month 🙁

Knicks
    Participant

Ath, it’s okay! And you can still have a go, lols. The thread not going nowhere ?

Alright. Down to the stuff and business. With only two entries, both of which are incredibly well-penned and definitely get to the heart of their most singular matters, this was not an easy choice.

However, I’m going to give this win to @sandradavies, for leaving an amazing impression with this one, one that only deepens on the second read-through.

@Alex
    I love this, and I can’t wait for Sandra to pick July’s theme, to see, and enjoy!, what you come up with next.

Thank you both for participating ?✨

Alex
    Participant

@Sandra, great story. I enjoyed the specific details which immersed me in the story.  For what it’s worth, I have a copy of Anna Karenina for over 10 years and never finished it.

@Knicks, I enjoyed this prompt.

Sandra
    Participant

@Alex, thank you! I was impressed with the subtle nightmarishness of Abbie’s  situation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.