TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War'

About Forums Den of Writers Podium TV appearance – Quest, 'Wings of War'

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  KazG 1 year ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Daedalus
    Participant

I can finally mention this, after almost missing the opportunity. Last year I was filmed as an ‘on screen expert’ for the Quest series Wings of War. I pop up several times in Episode 6 of Season 1 as ‘Matthew Willis, Naval Aviation Historian’. I think the programme has turned out pretty well – nice and accessible to people who don’t know a great deal about the subject, but informative and not dumbing down.

The link to play the epside online is here https://www.questod.co.uk/show/wings-of-war/video/episode-6/EHD_195517B

Raine
    Participant

ooh, hark at you, the hotshot expert!! πŸ™‚ Well done, Daeds, this is fabulous. Exciting to be a part of, I imagine?

JaneShuff
    Participant

I can’t access it from France – what a shame!

Daedalus
    Participant

Darn. It does seem to be UK only, I’m sorry to say

JaneShuff
    Participant

πŸ™

Jules
    Participant

I’m just watching it now. It’s brilliant. Well done, Daed 😁

RichardB
    Participant

Well done indeed, Daeds. Authoritative, erudite and lucid. Once again you display that knack you have of making technical things clear to the layman.

Daedalus
    Participant

Thanks all! This is my second TV credit, but the first was only for archive materials and this is definitely my first proper TV appearance. I don’t think I did too badly, though no doubt a lot of editing was required!

JaneShuff
    Participant

I must remember to watch it next trip to the UK.

KazG
    Participant

Yay! well done @daedalus!

It won’t let me watch it either but I am sure you are engaging, knowledgeable and quietly authoritative πŸ™‚

Elle
    Participant

Congratulations @daedalus!

RichardB
    Participant

Spot on, Kaz. That’s exactly what he is.

John S Alty
    Participant

Well done, Daeds, a star is born!

Philippa East
    Participant

Fantastic!

Seagreen
    Participant

Very impressive, Daeds πŸ™‚

JaneShuff
    Participant

Just finished watching this. Daeds – you’re a star. The depth of your knowledge and your passion shine through. Plus I thought the programme was a quality production. It told the story in an interesting and engaging fashion, simply enough for someone with no knowledge like me to follow but without talking down and without the endless repetitions and tedious reconstructions with actors that seem to mar so many documentaries. A real pleasure to watch.

Daedalus
    Participant

Thanks Jane, am blushing now! You’re very kind

Libby
    Participant

I too really enjoyed this, Daeds. Thank you for sharing it. I’d never have found the programme otherwise, and it does cover some of the period of my WIP. The episode was really well paced and, as you say, didn’t talk down. I learned a lot and thought all the experts were well chosen – you most of all of course. I can find documentaries frustratingly slow. And I share Jane’s view that reconstructions generally don’t add anything much! But this programme was very good.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by  Libby.

Daedalus
    Participant

Thanks Libby, that’s really nice of you. Glad you found it interesting and informative. I thought they struck the balance pretty well, and as you and Jane felt, did not overdo it with reconstructions. The little bits they did have (a snippet at the start of the Eugene Ely segment and some sailors running through corridors on a warship in the Bismarck segment) added a bit of excitement and did not detract. And yes, it was a good range of experts. I was surprised by how much of me they used, given they had several other ‘general’ naval and aviation experts. If there’s anything relevant to your WIP that I can help with, feel free to ask

Libby
    Participant

That’s really kind of you Daeds. I’m OK at the moment but there could well be something as I still do bits of research as I draft. I promise not to bombard you. My story deals with flying before and during WW2 but I admit I’ve kept naval aviation at arm’s length as something I don’t need to include, at least not in any detail.

You’ve already helped me with your breakdown of the movie. I looked up Coffman starters!

Daedalus
    Participant

Good to know! Coffman starters are great. Basically using a shotgun cartridge to start an engine, minus the lead shot of course. I don’t just do naval aviation btw, my last nonfic was a biography of a RAF bomber pilot, flying instructor and test pilot before and during WW2. Any technical queries, feel free to ask

Thea
    Participant

Well done, Daeds. Really impressive! I hope it leads to more programmes.

Libby
    Participant

Thank you Daeds, I really appreciate it.

I’ve found your nonfic book on the Amberley publishing site and will order a copy forthwith! It’s a while since I read a pilot biog or autobiog and am looking forward to learning about Duncan Menzies.

KazG
    Participant

I’ve now watched this and it is brilliant. Quality programme, as others have said, and you shine, @daedalus. I was spot on (as @richardb said) when I said I bet you were ‘engaging, knowledgeable and quietly authoritative’, before I had a chance to see it…:-) Really well done! x

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.