When to start querying (submitting) your novel

About Forums Den of Writers The Writers’ Lifeboat When to start querying (submitting) your novel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daedalus
    Participant

An interesting blogpost discussing at what point your novel might be ready to send to agents etc. Also useful on subbing short stories

When to start querying your novel

Alan Rain
    Participant

Thanks for the link.
    The advice that really counts is to ensure you remove all typos, formatting errors etc. as it shows you are concerned with detail.

I’m not sure about ‘clean prose’, as everyone will have their own opinion about this, including agents. But if you interpret it as ‘no unnecessary words regardless of sentence length’, then fair enough.

Raine
    Participant

Good article, Daeds. I might try to hunt down the Twitter thread to see what else was said.

I saw someone (Hellie Ogden I think) say that 60% of her submissions either fail to meet the submission criteria (format, genre, basic spell checks etc) or are clearly at way too early a draft to be sent out. I was so guilty of this last with my first ever book (which will never see the light of day again). I did the absolute classic ‘I’ve written a book! It must be ready cos I wrote it all and did some stuff to it!’.

Also, my beta readers are the bestest. I am so lucky.

JaneShuff
    Participant

I think we all did that with our first book Raine! And some of us, with our second…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.