AlanP

  • Squidge replied to the topic Writing Advice in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 8 years ago

    Choose ring bound notebooks to scribble ideas in; you’ll never lose your pen if you keep one clipped down the inside of the rings…

  • Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Jane – yes, this is the start of number 2…

    Will have a think about the success bit… If two peeps think it, you might well have a point. 😉

  • Squidge posted an update 8 years ago

    We used to have a place for Writing Prompts on the cloud…can’t remember where. Is there any mileage in having the same here? And if so, is the Lifeboat the best place for it? Happy to kick one off if folks want it – I’m heading to NIBS tonight and there’s a couple of corkers we’re going to be using…

    • Jules replied 8 years ago

      That’s a great idea, Squidge. If you would be happy starting a topic off in the lifeboat it would be much appreciated 🙂

  • Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Oh I see! Sort of a ‘how much longer is she going to keep trying this?’ vibe?

  • Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Thanks Kate, Mad.

    Actually, I reckon your way would work too, Mad. I suppose it depends what it is you’re trying to emphasise in the opener – for me, it was the fact that Tilda’s been trying to get this bloomin’ illuminorb right for so long, whereas depending on how you worded the next bit, your suggestion might focus attention on Silviu and his…[Read more]

  • Squidge replied to the topic On a more positive note… in the forum Blogs 8 years ago

    Ta, Jules. I’m working on the theory that this quilt can be reversible, in that the visible spirals on the ‘back’ are just as lovely as the mixed coloured stripes on the ‘front’. A lot still to do though.

  • Squidge replied to the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Apologies for the formatting! That’ll teach me to cut and paste…

  • Squidge started the topic As an opening… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    …how does this grab you?

    It wasn’t until her twenty-seventh attempt that Tilda finally managed to produce her first illuminorb.
    And a good job, too, because by the twenty-sixth attempt, Silviu’s patience was wearing very thin. “Concentrate, Tilda,” the Ambakian powermage snapped.
    “I am concentrating.” Tilda rubbed her palm against her…[Read more]

  • Squidge started the topic On a more positive note… in the forum Blogs 8 years ago

    Just to make up for the rather morose blog I shared a few days ago about the demise of the cloud, here’s one that is decidedly more upbeat. And has nothing to do with writing except for having a shout-out for the Den!

    (Promise I won’t post tons of Scribbles links – I’ll only post the writingy ones from here on in!)

  • Hi Elle,

    I remember you talking about this story, and I really like it. A very clever twist on the oldest of tales.

    I think you set things up well: we are expecting her to be the victim, but it shifts dramatically and she becomes the predator, turning the tables with her newly-discovered sexual power. Your writing, descriptions etc. as always,…[Read more]

  • Hi Elle,
    Yes, I can see how that addition can work to show her trying and failing.
    xx

  • Squidge posted an update 8 years ago

    So… I really ought to do some housework before I do any writing today.

    What’s that? You think I ought to do the writing first? Oh….go on, then. I will. Wordy Wednesday, here I come 😉

    • Absolutely. In fact, doing the housework is clearly procrastination which you should avoid at all costs

      • So far, have written a blog post, messaged a friend who is feeling frazzled about son starting uni, and am about to do a bit on the WIP. Happy Squidge!

  • I did wonder if there was an act involved… Not convinced you need lots more ‘innits’ unless he’s thinking them. Glad the thoughts were useful x

  • John S Alty replied to the topic Memories in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Thank you Squidge,I appreciate the input. Food for thought.

  • John S Alty replied to the topic Friends in the forum Coffee Shop 8 years ago

    Thanks Jules.

  • I have so missed reading your writing! So good to see you here x

    Ooh… I like this. Love the ramblings of his mind and the nuggets he reveals. I think I only noticed one it’s instead of its towards the start, so don’t worry so much about the dyslexia…

    The first thing I picked up on are his speech/thought patterns. By which I mean he sounds…[Read more]

  • Squidge replied to the topic Memories in the forum Critiques 8 years ago

    Like it. You mentioned ‘telly’ bits – as in telling, rather than showing. So when we first meet Florence, you tell us ‘a woman was sitting in a chair’ – a simple change like ‘a woman sat in a chair, eyes on the tv’ can make it less so. Similarly, towards the end, ‘He held a glass in each hand which…’could become something like ‘The glasses in…[Read more]

  • Load More