@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoI’m interested in how people feel about the different approach this year, i.e. the absence of choices and surprises. It was something suggested to me by a group member and I thought I’d give it a go.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
Fabulous competition! Hooray for all of us, especially Knicks. Thank you Sandra.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoAll sounds promising so far.
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
What a productive monthly challenge ,Sandra.
Everyone of the stories so enjoyable. I’m glad it wasn’t me having to make that choice on who to pass the baton to.
Congratulations Knicks for such a great piece, and well done everyone else for their offerings too.
-
Knicks started the topic Monthly Comp – October 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
In the tides of life rage fuels resolution, and patterns emerge from paradoxes, only for all to dissolve into their eternal ebb and flow.
Whatever these words might mean to you, whatever emotions, memories, dreams or ideals they call forth, share it with us in no more than 800 words.
-
Knicks replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
🙂 It has been a while, yes. Thank you for your flattering words, Sandra, and for trusting me with the monthly comp baton this turn around. Thank you Richard for the congrats. Well done to all! I thoroughly enjoyed each entry, lots of lovely lines and all the proper, not to mention yummy, writing I’ve missed reading around these here parts…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
@ Richard, glad to hear you were inspired, and hope it becomes a (good) habit. I did try to make sure I’d the time-line correct for Rebecca, but whichever, it worked as far as impact was concerned.
-
Jules replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoAsper usual, I have no ideas at all yet. Knowing me, it’ll be something weird though ????
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
I should’ve known better than to panic – what I took for drought was silent fermentation which resulted in an uncorking and a fizzing cascade of sparkling wines. Knick’s violently vivid tale of betrayal dangerously intoxicating with an awe-inspiring detonation of language.
Richard B’s continuation of his ‘Whodunnit’ tale and Rebecca’s stoi…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
What becomes of the broken hearted?
Tomorrow, if I make it through the night, I celebrate my one hundred and ninth birthday. I hate my birthdays. Life’s punctuation. People wander about pretending it’s a secret that there will be a party for me in the day room. The press may attend. The staff will say things such as, “Well done”, as though…[Read more]
-
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly competition, September 2024 in the forum Monthly Competition 2 years ago
my offering is based on the original heartbreak challenge .
I titled it –
<p style=”text-align: center;”>Heartbreak Is A Killer</p>
You asked, ‘what becomes of the broken hearted?’ The more oblique and pithier question would be ‘How do the broken hearted cope?’I’m not naming names because if I did …. Well, let’s just say that’s not a go…[Read more]
-
John T replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoYou might get a riff on my current series of novels out of this. There is one character who is hardly affected by the passage of time, and it would be fun to explore her POV. Although how to write it, I haven’t a clue… yet.
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoSurprise, surprise, this will be another gallon into pint pot exercise; the story I want to tell one I’ve already written – 50000+ words and more – from letters, postcards, photos. meetings (in New Zealand) and anecdotes. But the slant of this challenge requires a different telling and is one I’ll aim to fulfil.
-
-
-
Athelstone posted an update 2 years ago
Winter is a-drawing in. Throw another log on the cat and pull up your writing gear. Time to turn your attention to matters of ancient tradition. Yonder peasant is freezing to death looking for Wenceslas’s famously warm footprints, the Daddy Longlegs are queuing up to die on your carpet, and the Winter Short Story Challenge is here! This is a…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Chit Chat in the forum
A Different Time 2 years agoPost wherever the fancy takes you – the activity stream is fine. If you want to start something, in the nicest possible way, that will be easily accessible and not scroll out of sight, here’s a good place.
-
- Load More

I have always loved the choices and surprises – they’ve taken me out of my comfort zone and challenged me in ways I didn’t expect. It was always fun in the run up to the reveal and, ultimately, to see who made what of the same (or similar) choices. Last year, however, I didn’t enter the comp because one of the elements completely threw me (can’t…[Read more]