@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
Squidge replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Oh Jane – yes, I can totally imagine that. And Richard – it would be so much easier if they actually had the right info on the signs, wouldn’t it?!
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
I parked the car in the middle of Rennes once and after I’d wiped away the tears, got out and walked until I found the road I needed…
-
Squidge replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
I am so glad to hear that I’m not the only driver who goes through this!! Part of me was thinking I was a real idiot for getting so worked up after over 30 years of relatively trouble-free driving…but maybe getting majorly lost somewhere is a rite of passage that I’ve just managed to delay?!
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Help/brainstorming needed please – using antagonist narrator in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
Oh I think you could make it work @bellam. On one level the house could be a sort of manifestation of the forces inside Molly’s head keeping her imprisoned and I like the duality of it being a safe place and a prison at the same time.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Help/brainstorming needed please – using antagonist narrator in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
I’m also curious as to how much scope a house narrator gives you? Would every scene of your book have to be set inside / near the house? So intrigued!
Here’s an article about villain narrators:
https://www.bustle.com/articles/153308-20-books-with-villain-protagonists
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Help/brainstorming needed please – using antagonist narrator in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
Hi Bella,
What a fascinating question!
Such a great thing to ask yourself: who is telling the story? Having the house narrate would certainly be very unique and original.
You would sort of have an omniscient narrator-type voice (presumably the house would have a pretty good ‘bird’s eye view’ of things?) but how fascinating too to think of the…[Read more]
-
Philippa East started the topic You'll find us in the "activity" section….. in the forum
December SloMo 7 years, 7 months agoWe are here, just on the activity threads!
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
WoW, @kazg, what comprehensive notes! These days, I love this story structure stuff. I’ve recently read “Into The Woods” by John Yorke. In one chapter, he compares lots of the different models of story structure, to show how they are all effectively trying to describe the same thing, just in slightly different ways. The trick (I think) is just…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Oh my, Squidge, I sooooooo empathise! I am not a hugely confident driver on unfamiliar roads, and many’s the time I’ve driven around lost, being beeped at by angry drivers (because I’m breaching all kinds of road codes), crying and freaking out. It’s the WORST!!!
So pleased you made it in the end, and the school visit itself went well.Being a…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
The Coventry Ringway was designed by someone with a grudge against all mankind.
-
Squidge replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Thanks both – I can honestly say I have never experienced the stress/panic I did yesterday. Once I knew I was safe – ie at the school – I was OK. Quite cathartic to write it all out though and wonder why I responded like I did when I don’t usually react in this way.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Plotting workshop notes in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
How incredibly generous of you to share your notes in this way, KazG. Thank you.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
Oh dear Squidge. My sister lives in Coventry and I go to great lengths to avoid driving on any part of the Ringway so I sympathise. Sounds as though your day went brilliantly though!
-
Squidge started the topic World Book Day 2019 – quite an experience! in the forum Blogs 7 years, 7 months ago
If you’re a parent, you’ll probably have had to rustle up a costume for today – there will have been lots of Wallys, Gangsta Grannies, cats in hats and other favourites going to school to today.
I went to Coventry, for an all day author visit. Although the visit itself went well, it was a bit of a nightmare morning.
I set off at 7.30am, allowing…[Read more]
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 7 months ago
Writing this now cos I won’t be logging on at 6am tomorrow…
Happy World Book Day for Thursday! I’m spending the day doing authory things in an all-girls’ school in Coventry…
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Warnings in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 7 months ago
Hi Janette,
Thanks so much for sharing this. Yes, most literary mags use something like “first publication rights” which means they have the right to publish your story for the first time, but after that, the rights remain with you, so you can re-publish / resubmit it if you want.
Definitely must look out for comps / mags seeking to take…[Read more]
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
Congratulations Stevie! That’s wonderful news! Another highly deserved success.
-
Jules replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
Congratulations, Stevie. Great news and very well deserved 😊
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
Brilliant news, Stevie. Well done!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 7 months ago
Oh, well done, Stevie, and deservedly so!
- Load More
