@bellam
Active 3 months, 1 week ago-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Delilah S Dawson on developing an idea in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 8 months ago
That’s interesting @seagreen. I am still not sure. I don’t think I am but sometimes when I don’t know where something is going, I need to write for it to become clear although what I write at these moments is often utter garbage.
-
Sandra posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago
So much of editing is removing the superfluous, I wonder why the hell I put it in there in the first place.
-
I look at it as like scaffolding. You need it to construct the story, but taking it away is part of the process
-
I see it more like all those tatty bits of pale blue plastic wrapping, shredded and blowing in the wind.
-
Haha yeah, that too
-
It’s like a dissection. You need to rummage around to know what’s what, then you can start cutting away…
-
And fingers crossed you don’t snip anything vital …
-
-
-
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 8 months ago
I was asked by a local school (I know the deputy head a little) to help open their new school library yesterday (Nicky Morgan was the main attraction, and she couldn’t stay long as she was jumping on a train to London for some kind of Brexit debate and vote…?!) and talk to KS2 about editing your writing.
While I was there, they asked me to be…[Read more]
-
That’s amazing Squidge, well done. That’s what it’s really all about isn’t it? Making a difference to people. Good work
-
Lovely, Squidge
-
Yes, Squidge, that’s lovely. Uplifting, heartwarming and empowering.
-
Wonderful. Made me smile.
-
That’s lovely Squidge. Just a compliment, and yes, those little things mean an immense amount.
-
That’s lovely!
-
-
-
-
How wonderful @squidge. It’s definitrly what makes it worthwhile (I imagine 😊). Congratulations!
-
-
-
Squidge posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone else who blogs get hits from unsavoury websites? The Scribbles is getting multiple hits from porn sites. Now everyone’s welcome over at the Scribbles, but I can’t see that I’m offering anything over there that Britney34 or Sophia 23 would be interested in…
It’s a blogger site, and I don’t know whether they can be hacked or…[Read more]
-
It’s a new one on me, Squidge. Not sure what the threat is, if it’s just visitors redirected from those sites, but I can see why you’re suspicious. I can only think that there are automatically generated search results posted there and you’ve happened to include some of theit search terms? A headscratcher
-
Porn bots follow legit blogs etc because the more connections they have to them, the more hits are shown to be generated by the legit blog, the more the algorithms of search engines see the porn blogs as legit sites, too. (Or some version of that which is accurate about the tech side of it, but basically they are glomping onto you as a way of…[Read more]
-
The Prediction Fiction site I host has a similar problem, every now and then a spike of hits, Britney and Tiffany (new to me) I can guess at but occasionally there’re sites less obvious. I’ve only once made the mistake of checking … and was reminded that I’d ever hated pink blancmange.
-
A friend posted some info as to how I can filter them out… I’ll have a go if I can understand it. @sandradavies, that made me laugh! And I know EXACTLY what you meant! 😉
-
-
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic TSS Cambridge Short Story in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for this, Word limit ought to mean it wouldn’t need much tweaking.
-
John T replied to the topic TSS Cambridge Short Story in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 9 months ago
Yes, I saw the TSS tweets. They are good people. I’m in, for one. It’s a great opportunity.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Congratulations John, well deserved, and thanks Raine for the judgement and nice comments – hope Life takes an uplift for you.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Speed Kills: Salisbury, 1906 in the forum Blogs 7 years, 9 months ago
Richard, your narrative quality is spot on again. Brilliant read.
Daeds, when I was knee-high to the proverbial grasshopper, we had a mix of streamliners and more conventional looking engines pulling the expresses that rolled into Newbury from London Victoria. I always hoped it would be a streamlined engine that would carry me off to exotic…[Read more]
-
John S Alty started the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
OK, everyone, we’ll make this short and sweet because the RWAV competition is reaching its finale this month and many will be busy with that.
It’s a new year so the theme is “Looking Ahead” and you have to do it with a mere 200 words.
Good luck! -
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Well, I didn’t see that coming. Thanks, Raine.
Well done to all the entrants for taking part. -
Athelstone posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
A reminder to my friends on the Room With a View forum that there are only 18 more days to complete initial endeavours by 22:00 on 25 January. More time than the government has to conclude and present its EU withdrawal agreement on 21 January but I leave you to decide which is the harder task.
Apologies to members not in the Room With a View…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Speed Kills: Salisbury, 1906 in the forum Blogs 7 years, 9 months ago
Another interesting and entertaining story from the world of railways – thank you Richard.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Speed Kills: Salisbury, 1906 in the forum Blogs 7 years, 9 months ago
Another engaging story, Richard. I have no particular interest in railway history but your adept recounting of these incidents mean that I open your blogs with a sense of anticipation and I am never disappointed. You have a gift for giving us the right amount of background to bring the events to life. Thank you!
-
-
-
-
JaneShuff posted an update 7 years, 9 months ago
I’ve posted a short story in a private group (After The Honeymoon) that I’d love some feedback on. It was my entry into last year’s short story competition and I recently dusted it off and did some work on it. If anyone has time, please have a look. It’s only in a private grup in case I decide to submit it somewhere later. Thanks!!
-
-
Happy new year, @johnalty and all Denizens.
-
Thanks. You too, and all Denizens. May 2019 bring you all you want it to.
-
Happy New Year, friends!
-
Happy New Year. Que de bonnes choses en 2019
-
-
Happy New year all. May it bring success with your writing
-
Happy New Year John!
-
Happy New Year, all!
-
Happy new year all.
-
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Very clever John – you’ve left me poised and nervous as to what sort of ‘reality’ comes next.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Monthly comp – December 2018 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 9 months ago
Road to Redemption
It was the hour before dawn on Christmas morning. Robert stood under a pair of bay trees at the far end of the garden and breathed deeply, calming himself. The darkest hour it’s sometimes called, but he could see the light was coming fast now, a sliver of red showing on the eastern horizon and he knew he’d have to hurry. Sho…[Read more]
- Load More
