@debi
Active 6 years, 7 months ago-
Squidge posted an update 6 years, 4 months ago
How’s everyone doing as things start to ease? Had some tricky deadlines to meet (note to self- read the blasted edit properly first time, and don’t leave it to the typeset to make some plot changes) so haven’t been around.
Sock production has reduced now the weather’s improved, but gardening has increased. Not that I’m a gardener, really. More…[Read more]
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
Sorry – have had a deadline on the novel, so completely forgot about the May comp! Well done Jill!
And thanks for the comments, Libby. You read a lot more into my little walk than I realised or intended… π
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
I’m pleased the critique was useful, Jill.
I forgot to link names, and as we haven’t heard from @squidge here’s a direct contact.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
Well done Jill – you came so close to winning on YWP that it is only justice you come first here.
And thank you Libby for setting a theme which sent me back to all of these small stones and properly gather them in one place (now up to #94
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
All these entries are wonderful! Goodness, it has been hard to choose a winner. I love the way they all capture the detail of immediate surroundings at the same time as linking to a wider world, and how each one answers the competition’s brief in such interesting ways. All these pieces show acute sensibilities and curiosity, and I really enjoyed…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Sorry not sorry in the forum Blogs 6 years, 4 months ago
This link is to a marvellous but heart-breaking blog by our very own @KazG. Maybe wait a bit before reading if your blood pressure is high right now.
Linked with permission.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
A circuitous route – the same-old, same-old – but not so taken for granted as once it was.
Hot grey asphalt, its dull top layer peeled back by sun and tyres, glistening wet and black under, suggestive of a just-laid stickiness.
Pavements littered with the faded shadows of chalked rainbow messages to un-caped crusaders or old-fashioned hopscotch…[Read more]
-
Libby replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 4 months ago
Ten days left for anyone thinking about entering the May monthly Den competition π
-
RichardB replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Arthur Machen and the Angels of Mons in the forum Blogs 6 years, 4 months ago
Not entirely incidentally, there’s a certain resonance for me in all this. Caerleon was where my mother lived for nearly four decades, and so I have a passing, though not intimate, familiarity with the area Arthur Machen loved so much β though I have no doubt that he would be appalled if he could see it today, with the M4 passing within a couple o…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Arthur Machen and the Angels of Mons in the forum Blogs 6 years, 4 months ago
Excellent blog, Richard. I fear my “to be read” list has acquired some new items.
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Arthur Machen and the Angels of Mons in the forum Blogs 6 years, 4 months ago
Fascinating, as ever, Richard.
-
RichardB started the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Arthur Machen and the Angels of Mons in the forum Blogs 6 years, 4 months ago
On 23 August 1914 the British army fought its first battle of the First World War, a rearguard action at Mons in Belgium. It gave a good account of itself β the British Expeditionary Force was composed entirely of long-serving regulars, and the years of discipline and drill paid off as the Germans were stopped in their tracks by such a w…[Read more]
-
JaneShuff posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
Is anybody up for a beta read of my mystery/thriller around a sixty-year old conspiracy? I’ve spent the last few months locked into writing it and am in urgent need of a fresh perspective. Let me know if you’d like to know more.
-
-
Squidge posted an update in the group
CoronaMo 6 years, 5 months agoWell, still trying to edit Tilda 3. Have made some major changes to plot to keep the reader guessing a bit longer, but seem incapable of getting it all to ‘flow’. Feels like I’m making it worse instead of better! But keeping on keeping on, regardless…
-
JaneShuff replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
I have to agree with Ath, they were a wonderful lot of entries this month. Congratulations to Libby and to everybody who took part. Fingers crossed I might get an entry in this month!
-
JaneShuff posted an update 6 years, 5 months ago
Halloo Hallay (or however you spell it) A gruelling 3,400 words today but I’ve finished the first draft of the end chapter that’s been bugging me for so long. Truly hope I don’t despair when I read it back tomorrow!
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Between 2011 and 2013, for some eighteen months, I participated in a βSmall stonesβ project; a daily moment of intense observation. Many were made during the twelve minute walk (six there, six back) to buy a morning paper. This is a 396 word selection.
Autumn
Stepping stones of yellow sycamore
stuck to the rain-damp roadAnd the sky this mor…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly comp – April 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
Loved the entries this time round. Very well done Libby. Raine, great topic. Came so close to telling you about my green rug, but it wasn’t to be.
-
Libby started the topic Monthly comp – May 2020 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 years, 5 months ago
For the May competition, evoke the movement of routine travel. Portray a regular or ordinary journey. Your character(s) can be anyone; the transport can by anything including walking. This task is about day-to-day life rather than big plot turns or realisations – the familiar, written anew.
If you want, do a W H Auden in Night Mail:
Pass…[Read more]
- Load More

I second that approach to gardening, Squidge. It’s been a weird couple of months but I have got a lot of writing done. Loved the cover for the second Tilda book btw!
Thank you! I’m really interested to see what Bink give Tilda for the other books…there are bones in 3, dragons in 4 and I’m still working out number 5! π All I do know is that the colour of the books will reflect the region where the action happens – so we’ve had red and green, still got yellow, purple and blue to come.