@helen
Active 8 months ago-
Squidge replied to the topic Camp NaNoWriMo in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
Having never done Nano before, someone’s going to have to tell me how I log my word count, cos I can’t find where on the menu bar I do that. I have found stats… just not how to change them.
Sometimes I really hate technology.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Camp NaNoWriMo in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
OK, looks like I’m going to be ‘Silver Squidge’ as just Squidge was already taken…
-
Squidge replied to the topic Camp NaNoWriMo in the forum The Writers' Lifeboat 7 years, 6 months ago
Might join you – I can use it to be Camp NaNoEdMo again – that worked well for me once before.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
For me, it’s about getting the time to think about short pieces, full stop. I’ve finally got going again on the novel, so my writing energy’s good, but I can’t commit to something every month on top.
If you wanted to split comp and non-comp, they could run on alternate months – that way, you can choose whether to be competitive or not. And I’ll…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Opening of new WIP- 1289 words in the forum Critiques 7 years, 6 months ago
Once I’d read through a couple of times, my overall impression was curiosity, which is generally a good thing, and I felt comfortable with the way the story is moving. When I read through the first time though, I was a bit confused as to what was going on. I don’t mean the bare facts, I mean things like whether Bethany wanted the phone call,…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Opening of new WIP- 1289 words in the forum Critiques 7 years, 6 months ago
Once I’d read through a couple of times, my overall impression was curiosity, which is generally a good thing, and I felt comfortable with the way the story is moving. When I read through the first time though, I was a bit confused as to what was going on. I don’t mean the bare facts, I mean things like whether Bethany wanted the phone call,…[Read more]
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Opening of new WIP- 1289 words in the forum Critiques 7 years, 6 months ago
I thought this very well written and certainly not slow. However, as the opening to a novel, in view of what you tell us is going to happen, I feel it needs a hook. Perhaps a short chapter before this one, whetting the readers appetite.
Just my opinion, as always, so ignore at will. -
Squidge replied to the topic Opening of new WIP- 1289 words in the forum Critiques 7 years, 6 months ago
Didn’t feel slow at all.
Only bit that jumped out at me was the initial explanation about Bert early on – it felt quite tell-y and a bit out of place where it was. I was caught up in the conversation and Bethany’s dilemma, and it pulled me out of the dialogue.
I wonder if that info would be better moved to when Bethany mentions him later on…[Read more]
-
Janette replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
This is fab, Raine. Not surprised though. About time you won some recognition. Well done.
-
Philippa East replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
CONGRATULATIONS,!!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Oh, Raine, that’s just fantastic. You deserve recognition.
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 years, 6 months ago
Goodbye, Ranking Roger. You made me feel cool, which took some doing, when I listened to you.
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Absolutely brilliant!! 😁😁
-
Sandra replied to the topic Writers & Artists short story comp in the forum Podium 7 years, 6 months ago
Brilliant success Raine – one out of a thousand! – Wow indeed.
-
-
Squidge replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Every couple of months sounds good. I think it’s good not to have critique on the comps – if you post and you’re not looking for crit, then getting someone’s comments (however well intentioned) can be bruising if you’re not used to it.
Failing that, do we want/need it to always be a comp? There are other writing sites that post a topic/prompt and…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
I’m still hosting https://predictionfiction.blogspot.com/ every
week, which is 2 x 100 words of two serials plus a standalone if inspiration/prompts permit. Also it’s me who judges the winner. So I don’t have much spare time with competitions as well, unless they strike an immediate chord.
I do think Raine’s idea of only commenting the winner…[Read more] -
Janette replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Liking your thinking, Daeds, as I’d like to partake, but commitments have stopped me of late. Bi-monthly and an occasional easy challenge sounds good. Perhaps an ‘over to you’ now and then (when the winner is struggling to set the theme) or indeed, an excerpt from a WIP. I also like the sound of not having to do all the judging if you win, which…[Read more]
-
-
Not for me. I would love to see everyone but that price tag is not a great inducement.
-
It’s my biggest disincentive. Last year it ruled things out plain and simple. I’ll be honest, I’m thinking about it this year because I may have a viable book to take. That hasn’t been a reason for any of my previous visits,
-
Also, I’m going stir crazy as I haven’t been out more than ten times since mid January
-
The jury’s out for me as yet, Athers. It depends on whether I get a reply from DHH re Doris. If he doesn’t want it, I might be tempted to take it to York. I’m also mulling over going only Saturday and meeting old friends, though it depends on how many are going.
-
I would love to see everybody and if enough people were going and I could combine it with seeing family in the UK, I might think about it…
-
I’ll be deciding before the ‘early bird’ offer expires because the cost of the full weekend without the Friday mini-course is actually £40 LESS than I paid 5 years ago.
-
-
-
-
-
Not for me, this year @Athelstone. I’ve actually applied for a bursary for Mslexicon, which is Mslexia’s new writing conference. It’s just as expensive as YOrk but there seems to be a bit more on offer, and the bursaries are open for people like me (chronic illness). We’ll see, would be fun to try a new event, but not at full price.
-
@raine Mslexicon looks absolutely brilliant and I wish you luck with the bursary!
In other news, I spotted an agent I’d really like to snag and I have now (impulsively) booked a place at York. Later in September my nephew is getting married in Edinburgh and I have to book flights for family. I WILL BE BROKE BIG TIME.
-
Oooh, but if you have time whilst in edinburgh, we might be able to have a wee writer meet-up!! I’m sure @seagreen will come in (if she is in the UK, obv).
-
Probably a really packed schedule but it would be sad not to fit in a tea/coffee and a doughnut perhaps!
-
Include me too in any Edinburgh meet, please! Bursary sounds fantastic, Raine, best of luck with that, and, Ath, that you’ve a novel ready to go is brilliant. Seems ages since I had contact with writers in person 🙁
-
No York for me, but Edinburgh is definitely do-able.
-
-
Do let me know if you do plan that. I am a flight away
-
-
-
-
Not this year, I’m afraid.
-
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Regular Den competition – where next? in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 6 months ago
Thoughts:
A quarterly competition? Winner sets the subject for the next comp, but doesn’t judge it. Prize is a virtual Gold Quill.
The judging is either by a panel or a vote of the participants, or an open vote.
Critique of the entries? By who? Needs some ideas. Maybe submit the winning entry to a magazine or competition?Have a good weekend, everybody.
- Load More
