@hilary
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Jill posted an update 1 year, 3 months ago
I think I have an idea/outline for the June competition, but needs working on ~ my exchanges here to date have inspired me to try my luck. ‘It is not the winning, though but the taking part’ as someone once said…. Also I am having to get used again to how Den functions!
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
UNTITLED (149 WORDS)
Contains an obscenity
Today is the last day I will beat myself up over this.
It’s the last day I’ll say sorry for hurting you, as if I haven’t said sorry a million times already.
It’s the last time I’ll try to make amends for something you will never forgive me for.
It’s the last time I’ll go to bed and wonder how di…[Read more]
-
Jill replied to the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 3 months ago
Athelstone ~ You have sent tingles through me by your kind words and considered and intelligent comments. I well remember all of your contributions of similar ilk. Thank you. There is so much to this subject and I may add more sometime later, but it is a lovely Sunday morning and not too hot as yet and so I will carry on at a gentle pace with w…[Read more]
-
A few quotes I have come across~~ inspiring positivity?
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world”. Mahatma Gandhi
“Happiness is not something ready made, it comes from your own actions”. Dalai Lama
“Every day may not be good, but there’s something good in every day”. Alice Morse Earle
“When you have a dream, you’ve got to grab it an…[Read more]
-
Not sure where this will appear. Meant for my blog but think I have mis directed it! Hey ho!
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 3 months ago
Jill, it’s so good to hear from you again, in spite of what you’ve been, and are, going through.
I think any response that isn’t on a level with your own experience of positivity is likely to sound trivial, or at least less significant. But it is a fascinating topic. It’s often said that realists have a less positive expectation of outcome, but…[Read more]
-
Jill started the topic Positivity in the forum Blogs 1 year, 3 months ago
I have mainly been a half glass full person for all of my lengthy years on this planet, although there have naturally been exceptions otherwise I would not be human. As cancer has struck for a second time in 35 years, I am finding positivity in attitude that the outcome of this treatable, if not curable form is going to be the good prognosis…[Read more]
-
Jill, I admire your courage and agree positivity is the strongest medicine in most things. It has carried me through many challenges in life, though as you said, you also have to remember you are human. Keep on keeping on, and I send over positive vibes.
-
Thank you, Janette. Lovely to speak with you again and hear that positivity has carried you through many life challenges. Another philosophy I have come across, to paraphrase, is that a crisis can be turned into an opportunity. Maybe a more difff
Thank you, janette for your kind words and positive vibes. Lovely to connect once more and hear…[Read more]
-
-
-
Jill posted an update 1 year, 3 months ago
Well! I happened upon this site again by chance after probably 5 years and it has been lovely to remember ‘old’ writing friends and, indeed, read some of my own stuff from so long ago. So I thought I would just pop by to say ‘Hello’ and wish you continued enjoyment on your writing journeys.
I am now 78! and still writing in one way or another…[Read more]
-
Mention whatever you want. The Cloud brought many of us together and it was a fabulous start for many, and a nudge on the way for others.
-
Hello, Athelstone. I was a member of Word Cloud from its inception; invited because I had just had a critique from Harry et al. Therefore I saw many writers come and go as well as forming good online relationships with those who stayed long term. It was so beneficial and inspiring and I learned a myriad of writing skills from both the…[Read more]
-
-
Hello, Jill. It’s great to hear you are writing again, and I wish you well with your treatment. I agree, we have a lot to be thankful for in Den, that it is a place we can find each other after the closure of Cloud, and carry on with our writing challenges.
-
Thank you, Janette. I never really stopped writing something or other for long! For instance, after four or five years of writing a weekly story and sharing it on FaceTime with younger grandson in America, I did have to admit that ideas had dried up! So we went over old ones, but then have found other literary ways of sharing the gift of…[Read more]
-
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 3 months ago
Two fabulous stories and still half of the month to try your hand. What luck!
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
The First Steps and the Last
‘Come on, Mum, two more steps and you’re there. I’ve got you …’
Why was she raising her voice? I wasn’t deaf.
My mind wasn’t the disabled part of me. And what was the rush?
Hold your tongue, old lass. It’s all said through care, not to mention a familiar tone of worry that she might slip or let go.
It took me…[Read more]
-
RichardB replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
You’re not actually the person I was referring to when I said I knew I was preaching to the converted. Quite often people reply to these Literary Byways blogs saying they’re going to read the book concerned on my recommendation, but this is the first time I’ve had feedback on that, and I’m delighted that you share my enthusiasm for Pavane.
As for…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
It was, and still is, a very good blog indeed. I remember it well, and on the strength of your recommendation I bought Pavane. It is a unique book, with an extraordinary atmosphere. Since reading it I’ve returned many times to check on parts and to reread. It really is remarkable that it isn’t better known. It’s somewhat depressing that a book so…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic Richard's Literary Byways: Pavane, by Keith Roberts in the forum Blogs 1 year, 4 months ago
It has occurred to me that this occasional series is incomplete without the piece that started it all off, which was posted back in the old days on the Word Cloud. Some may remember it; some may not. And in one case I know I’m preaching to the converted…
In 1983, on a commission from a Japanese publisher, the novelist and critic Anthony (A…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations, Ath. Delightfully creative tale!
Thanks to Janette for the prompt and to Sandra, Libby and Terrie for a selection of wonderful stories x -
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition June 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
It’s been on my mind that during this month I will begin the last year of my sixth decade. The topic this month is the last of something. So, whatever that suggests to you, good, bad, indifferent, in a maximum of 500 words.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
When I say that I seriously didn’t think I’d win – I mean it. There was a fistful of really great entries. Thanks to Janette for the prompt and to my co-entrants for some great entertainment.
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Ps, yes, thank you all for your brilliant entries, I meant to say- sorry if this didn’t come across in my summary.
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Congratulations Athelstone, and thanks to Terrie, Sea and Libby for their responses to Janette’s May challenge – all so entertaining – and for the summing up.
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Five great stories this month, making my decision oh-so difficult and changeable.
Sandra – Lyrical Determination (thin on legend)
Smartly-penned descriptives throughout, giving vivid imagery of Fran lying prose on the attic bed, having decided to give her virginity to Ivo (having been inspired by the words of John Martyn). Love that she bathes…[Read more] -
Janette posted an update 1 year, 4 months ago
Time passes so quickly. Would you believe there are only six days left to enter the May competition? Already four stunning entries but, go on, please make my job to pick out a winner even more difficult – I like a challenge. Give me an essence of May.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
May
The cactus on the table, out there on the decking, it’s gone mad. Look there are four new paddle things growing off it. Mr Hoskins from next door says they’re called “cladodes”. He should know, seeing as he’s a botanist or something at the college. It’s a modified stem, apparently, which serves the function of a leaf. He came over for a cup o…[Read more]
-
Seagreen replied to the topic Monthly Competition May 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 1 year, 4 months ago
Princes Street, Edinburgh, in early May. The morning is bright, the sky opaque with a promise of blue, and there’s enough chill in the air to warrant the cardigan I left on the back of the chair in the kitchen. I’m walking on the sunny side of the street – the side across from the gardens – with measured, purposeful steps as I head to a train…[Read more]
- Load More
