@hilary
Active 3 years, 10 months ago-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Well done,Terrie. Look forward to your challenge for January. Enjoyed each entry very much. Thank you, Athelstone for your kind comment on my contribution, which was fun to create! Wishing you all a Very Happy and Healthy, Creative New Year. Jill x
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Well done Terrie, and everyone else who between them provided a kaleidoscope view of Christmas, and thank you Ath for prompting me into putting a long-held memory into words.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Right, here we go.
Is there anybody who hasn’t had at least a small part in the production of a nativity play? Jill, that’s just how they go. A perfect evocation. And your story has a Christmas miracle as well – or was it a mischievous young actor?
Janette, I was there in that supermarket. No, really, I was actually there I think, barging past…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
OK, it’s a fraction after midnight so 2026. I’ve read them all. They’re annoyingly good. So sorry, you can all wait until tomorrow is well and truly underway. Happy New Year!
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Wouldn’t be Christmas without the occasional disaster.
-
Kate posted an update 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Happy Christmas for tomorrow to all you lovely Denizens. Xx
-
-
Sandra replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 3 weeks ago
A never-forgotten Christmas
The telegram sent by my new-made grandfather, telling my father of my safe arrival, at five minutes to midnight on the twentieth December (and, according to my great-grandfather’s fish scales, weighing 6lbs 4 ozs) is explanation enough of why I don’t remember my first Christmas. To establish whether it was my sec…[Read more]
-
Janette posted an update 9 months, 4 weeks ago
Would you know? A cancellation gave me space to knock out a story for December. That’s it though until next year.
-
Janette replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 4 weeks ago
Running the Christmas Gauntlet
Brace yourself, girl. Everywhere is going to be madness today. Most of the throng will be feeling much the same way … which means shouting and kids screaming; means shoving and pushing … but take a deep breath. Concentrate on the list. You’ve successfully run the Christmas shopping gauntlet before.
The veget…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 9 months, 4 weeks ago
Christmas is coming, The Goose is getting fat, please to put a penny in the old man’s hat, If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do, If you haven’t got a ha’penny then enter the December monthly comp. Ten days to go.
-
Janette posted an update 10 months ago
So sorry for my absences. I have made the decision to self-publish my books after careful consideration, reading how some trad friends have fared, and revisiting notes from my last (self-publishing) workshop in York. I’m very wet behind the ears regarding publishing, especially self-publishing, so I am deep into swatting about it before I make any…[Read more]
-
Good luck. Please let us know how you get on. I’d like to piggy-back on your request for tips. I am part of a group currently ready to publish a non-fiction book. We’re trying a few pitches via the traditional route just in case it lands but it’s quite likely we may end up self-publishing because we don’t want the book to languish, unpublished, for ages.
-
Hi Bella. So far I’m deep into reading the Writers and Artists Guide to Self Publishing, which is very ‘involved’ though gives lots of advice. I have also signed up to David Gaughran’s free self-publishing course (on his website). I also found this: https://justpublishingadvice.com/publishing-companies-to-avoid-and-nasty-new-author-scams/
I’ll let…[Read more]-
Janette (and Bella), one tip I didn’t mention earlier is that it makes very good sense to set your page size for composing to Blurb’s trade book size. Makes it, in my opinion, a lot easier to read on screen too. Blurb’s page size is 13.02cm x 20.95cm. Select mirror margins , set top margin 2 cm, bottom 2.25 cm, inside 1.75cm, outside, 1.75 cm…[Read more]
-
-
-
Hi Janette, I’ve never self-published but am in contact with editors and proofreaders who work with self-pub authors. This tip usually doesn’t apply to experienced writers so I just add it as a general comment. When self-pub authors approach editors for a proofread or copy edit, often what’s needed is a more substantial developmental or…[Read more]
-
Thank you, Sandra and Libby. All taken on board, but the novel has had three beta readers so far, plus an agent’s when she almost took it on. Better luck this time, eh?
-
You are well prepared, Janette! Good luck with the self pub.
-
-
-
Jill posted an update 10 months, 1 week ago
On a personal note – thank you again fellow writers for the good wishes when I first returned to the Den. I can now report that I am in remission. Hope this good news yesterday will spur me to write even more! Maybe it will as I have just submitted my December competition entry and it flowed out from somewhere inside very easily! Wishing all a…[Read more]
-
Fantastic news, Jill.
-
Thank you, Athelstone!
-
-
That’s marvellous news, Jill.
-
Thank you, Libby. It has really helped me participating again in this warm, creative and supportive virtual community alongside my mutually supportive real Tim
Thank you, Libby. It is such a pleasure being part of this online community once more. Jill x
-
-
That’s wonderful news, Jill. Here’s to upwards and onwards!
-
Thank you, Janette – much appreciated. Jill x
-
-
-
Jill replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Nativity Mystery – A lighthearted tale
540 words excluding title
Miss Farthing sighed wearily and then screamed ‘Be quiet!’ She could stand it no longer. This was the last rehearsal of the Nativity play at Priory Primary School before the performance in front of parents and governors and it was utter chaos. Some children had swapped co…[Read more]
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Christmas is coming, The goose is getting fat! For the December competition, I would love a Christmas story. The theme is Christmas in any way, shape, or form. Make it sad, make it happy, naughty or nice. Make it ghostly if that tickles your fancy. Make it commercial or spiritual. Feel free.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Ah, thank you Terrie. After reading the others I feel very lucky! I’m a bit late arriving – so apologies. I’ll get right to the December comp.
-
Jill replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations, Athelstone. I look forward to your December challenge. I enjoyed the other two November fireside tales very much too. Thank you, Terrie for setting an interesting challenge, which brought out the Grandma in me, although I have grandsons not a granddaughter! Jill x
-
Athelstone replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 2 weeks ago
Percy.
Percy was old. I knew that because everybody knew that. I went to see him because I was invited, and young, ambitious journalists don’t refuse invitations from Percy Fullbig’s people. The man who had seen it all, and predicted much of it. Predicted the Second World War, Vietnam, various troubles in the Middle East, the Financial Cra…[Read more]
-
Sandra replied to the topic November 2025 monthly competition in the forum Monthly Competition 10 months, 3 weeks ago
Sorry, Terrie, no way do I have head space to do anything for this. Will aim to Do Better next time
-
- Load More
