John T

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Salter is very much a writer of men. I was somewhat horrified by his treatment of women in All There Is (although there’s always a detachment to his writing that means it’s never entirely clear who his sympathies lie with). I find his earlier work rather tighter.

  • Sandra replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    @ Daeds and Libby,

    re James Salter, 2/3 years ago II read and was impressed by a short story featured in a newspaper. Eagerly borrowed ‘A sport and a pastime’ from the library and found it  heavy-going. Couple of months ago I bought his ‘Collected Stories, but have yet to begin it, but hope to do so with an eye to his style..

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    Sandra, interesting you say that about unconscious influence from books you read years ago. I’m generally reluctant to specify my influences because I’m certain that I don’t know who all of them are. On more than one occasion I’ve reread something I read in my youth but had only the haziest memory of. And, to my horror, encountered somethi…[Read more]

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Influences in the forum Blogs 2 years, 11 months ago

    I wrote a short story with an MC lacking almost all redeeming qualities. It didn’t go down too well, although I quite enjoyed writing it. Patricia Highsmith’s writing is wonderful. Tom Ripley is a work of genius.

    Also, hello stranger. How’s it going?

     

  • Daedalus posted an update 2 years, 11 months ago

    And don’t forget people, if you say anything mean about JK Rowling, you’ll get in her bad books. The detective ones.

  • Sandra posted an update 2 years, 11 months ago

    Version #4, snappier start, 6 characters, 682 words but not a clue what is going to be “done” to start anyone wondering “who?” I’ll be in Australia for four weeks – thank goodness the deadline is February.

  • I’m not at all sure I’ve fully adhered to the brief, but this scraping of possibilities from my current wip is  the best I can do, before I leave the country 😉

    Scene:

    Need for a wee had Lucy check the time. Half ten. She’d been lying in her bed for more than two hours. Not moved since she’d taken refuge. Since hearing the click of the stre…[Read more]

  • Oh, EXCELLENT idea Sea – 0nly problem now, which do I choose??

  • I’ve just started listening to Ken Follett on BBC Maestro, and this is (sort of) taken from a task he sets at the end of the section on developing ideas.

    Take a scene in a book (your own or someone else’s) where not a lot is happening. Find five ways to improve it e.g identify things that could go wrong, complicate matters or raise the sta…[Read more]

  • Yes, I’ve got ??? : -)

     

  • Anyone else getting question marks instead of the smiley face?

  • Oh, crikey! This has caught me on the hop. Such a great catch of entries!

    Squidge – thanks for the prompts. I wasn’t convinced I’d be able to do them justice.

    Libby, Sandra, Janette and Alex – there wasn’t a single story I wouldn’t have picked to be a winner ????

  • Congratulations @ Seagreen, and thank you Squidge for prompt words, comments  and competition – a lot of fascinating uses of the three words.

  • Wowser…spoilt for choice! Thank you all for taking my three little words and turning them into lots of great stories. As always, the three objects were used in very different and clever ways. So…

    Sandra – there’s something about a pipe-smoking detective, isn’t there? Lovely piece, with the rat almost in the trap until the detective took his…[Read more]

    • Thank you for a good challenge, Squidge. Congratulations, Sea, well deserved, though I enjoyed all of the other stories too.

  • Squidge posted an update 3 years ago

    aaargh! Apologies, such a busy day at church yesterday, totally forgot I needed to judge the comp! Am on it now…

  • A great batch of entries. Sadly, my good idea didn’t finally coalesce until I was dozing off last night.

  • Squidge posted an update 3 years ago

    Only a few days left to get something into the monthly comp… Looking forward to reading the entries!

  • UNTITLED (300 words)

     

    Betty Hoskins – aged 95 years – and probably a pipe smoker for the last 85 of them. She’s at the allotments, perched on a ragged, weather-beaten wicker armchair beneath an arch of bamboo rods and green netting, enveloped in a haze of what she calls her ‘medicinal’ blend.

    It’s late evening, the sun is bedding down behi…[Read more]

  • Janette posted an update 3 years ago

    Joined @johnt3 in giving BlueSky a go. Looking forward to finding more familiar faces there, but I haven’t much to report on yet. My book 2 (way off finishing its rewrite) needs to be closer to ready before I consider which way to get book 1 published. Black dog keeps sitting on my keyboard.

    • There are an increasing number of us there, including a fair few from the Den.

    • Janette, do you mean a real black dog, or black dog in the metaphorical sense?

      • Metaphorical – though just as pesky and stubborn.

        • I know that black dog. It’s hard to shove it out of the way, sometimes. Big cwtches from Wales x

        • Sorry to hear it. It is remarkably adept at confounding all good intentions to write.

          • Thanks, Ath. Yes, writing and reading both confounded. It feels like a midge infestation in my head when I try to take things in or concentrate further than one page. Hopefully, I’ll overpower IT sooner rather than later.

            • My usual remedy for reading problems is to read children’s books. I read a lot – they’re my therapy.

    • Libby replied 3 years ago

      I hope life becomes easier, Janette.

  • Strange tastes

     

    Oh, I did miss my Bert. Watching him through the window, wheelbarrow-in-hand, shaping our garden into all sorts of strangeness: gaudy, modern art in bloom.

    Me, I preferred order. Neatness. A little chintz perhaps; a Capo Di Monte on the sideboard. ‘Let go, Pammy! Unstiffen your lip,’ Bert would say while waltzing me roun…[Read more]

  • Load More