John T

  • After the Gathering

    I shan’t go next year.

    I mean, Tom wasn’t there. Jackie spent the whole evening talking to Spence and nobody can get a word in with those two. And Pete. That was a shock. Pete’s joined the choir eternal. Playing three-card brag with St Peter more like.

    ‘So you don’t have to.’ That was his thing. I remember when he broke hi…[Read more]

  • Raine posted an update 4 years ago

    Hi all, just dropping by to catch up on the annual challenge & whisper that a previous challenge story (Bathymetry) has just won the British Fantasy Award for Best Short Fiction. So thank you all for being part of such an inspiring annual event. 🙂

    • A very fine story indeed. And Wikipedia agrees 🙂

    • Only one response? Shame on us, for that is really quite some achievement. I see illustrious names among the past winners, so many congratulations and I hope you’re feeling as proud as you deserve to be. I’ve said it before: we in the Den may be few, but we’re talented.

    • Kate replied 4 years ago

      That’s amazing news, Raine. Huge congratulations.

    • You are going from strength to strength – wishing you a sufficiency of spoons.

    • OMG that’s amazing! Well done

  • On my third attempt. The previous two kept wanting to turn into short stories!

  • Squidge posted an update 4 years ago

    Dipping in to say hi… ridiculously busy at the mo with Life, so barely time to breathe, let alone write! How is everyone doing at the moment, following the Queen’s death? Whether you’re for the monarchy or not, it seems to have impacted nearly everyone I’ve spoken to in some way, shape, or form. Sending hugs if you need them x

    • Doing well (I think). Similarly busy, especially yesterday when I was included in a tale of lost keys which necessitated a drive from Worthing to London and back.

    • Even for a republican like me it does feel like the end of an era. Thinking about how as a Scout we had to make promises to do our duty to the Queen etc, and every time you see a post box or a coin, or hear The King, it feels strange. Very few people have known anything different – @athelstone that sounds like an incredibly trying day, was it all…[Read more]

      • Yes, no harm done, thanks.

        • Oh blimey, Ath…can imagine that being rather stressful.

          • Busy here too, but yes, life seems to feel ‘on hold’ as we witness the end of an era. While not being an ardent Royalist, I did have a lot of respect for a queen who was the unwavering anchor for her family, showing how publicity could be done properly without scandalous revelations. I think I shall miss her.

    • Bella replied 4 years ago

      I had a very strong (and somewhat unexpected) emotional reaction to the death. She has always loomed large in my life as my father is an ardent royalist. I’d expected to feel a bit sad, as I did when Prince Philip died, but I burst into tears when I heard the news. We were in Scotland and very nearly passed the cortege from Balmoral to Edinburgh…[Read more]

  • RichardB replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years ago

    Crystal Palace

    Yes there is

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years ago

    Any more takers for the annual Short Story Challenge? There’s still time to join the “All You Need” group and make a couple of simple choices. The group closes and becomes private on Sunday evening, 22:00 UK time. It’s an easy way in for 6 months of fun and anticipation.

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years ago

    Coniston

    Yes there is

  • Thea replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years ago

    Vasio, France

    No there is not

  • Woolleybeans replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years ago

    Cala Bridge

    No there is not

  • Well done @clebs. I said it’s excellent – and it is!

  • Congratulations, Clebs, a well-twisted tale. And thanks Alex for a prompt which produced such variety.

  • Athelstone posted an update 4 years, 1 month ago

    Another reminder to all Denizens. The annual short-story challenge is awake once more. If you haven’t joined already, you only have until 11 September to join the group ALL YOU NEED and make a couple of choices.
    And to those who HAVE joined, choices must be made by that same date in order to enter the challenge.

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Ah, I see.

    Cf. my choice

  • Daedalus replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    For me the town is the sticking point, as whatever I go with will necessarily narrow down what kind of story I can write a fair bit. That’s what comes of writing across a range of genres I suppose!

  • Burn

    The day the power went off for the last time, Dad started on about the country again.

    “When did this country change?” he growled. “Things never used to be like this. This is Britain, how did it get so the electric doesn’t work?”

    Gemma didn’t understood when he talked like this. It was like he felt the whole island was somehow the same. G…[Read more]

  • Admittedly the last edit I had done was via someone I have known for a while. But still, you are commissioning a job so it is up to you to tell them/ask them what you think is necessary.

    I’d write along the lines of

    Hey, Editor. Sort out this pile of horror for me, there’s a good fellow.

    OK, OK. More along the lines of

    Dear Editor

    I got your…[Read more]

  • Kate replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Ravenwood

    No there is not

  • Athelstone replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    I think the choices this year are kinder than they have ever been, really. In there impact on a possible story that is.

  • Raine replied to the topic Chit Chat in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    I think I’ve suffered more indecision over my choices this time than any previous comp! Ah well. Posted now so will just have to ride the chaos wave…

     

  • Raine replied to the topic Choices in the forum Group logo of All You NeedAll You Need 4 years, 1 month ago

    Tortuguero, Costa Rica

    Yes, there is.

  • Load More