@madiguana
Active 5 years, 8 months ago-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 6 months, 3 weeks ago
You asked for mad? Well, here’s the slice of crackpot absurdity I came up with .
The necklace of tiny silver bells about her neck tinkled softly as she backed against the garden wall. ‘You’re all mad, you know,’ she muttered holding the sharp seed dibber, labelled ‘Mr Pointy’, like a knife at the advancing crowd.
At the front of the group,…[Read more]
-
Janette started the topic A Step Into Indie Publishing in the forum Blogs 6 months, 3 weeks ago
Several weeks ago, I posted that I had stopped seeking representation for my book, Grace (full title to be revealed with the book cover), and go down the Indi path. As a complete publishing novice, my first reaction was ‘where the hell do I begin?’ And, for those others wondering the same thing, promised I would report back on anything I had don…[Read more]
-
Thank you. This is really useful information. It’s a lot of work – hope things move along smoothly for you.
-
Thanks, Bella. Gwynn GB warned it was a lot of work done properly, but to treat it as a business. It seems though, that you don’t escape any of the marketing work if taken on via trad publishing. Yes, let’s hope the work pays off – fingers crossed.
-
-
-
Athelstone started the topic Monthly ompetition March 2026 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
In March it seems that hares go mad. They chase each other, jump and frolic, even have boxing matches. For March, somebody has done/is doing/will do something mad. It might be you, or not – whatever you wish. 500 words maximum please before midnight on 31 March.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for such a satisfactory February topic, Libby, and for your generous appraisal! I loved the other two entries; they could easily have won.
-
Athelstone replied to the topic February 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 7 months, 1 week ago
Teabreak in love
Maureen Chapman. No, tell a lie, it was Chaplain, like a vicar. Her name, I mean—she wasn’t like a vicar. Anyway, Maureen Chaplain was perfect from my ten-year-old point of view. But I’m getting all jumbled up about how to start, so I’ll take a breath. See, it really began when the Brazells moved out from next door and the Cha…[Read more]
-
Athelstone posted an update 7 months, 3 weeks ago
Some very sad news for old Cloudies, which I suppose is most of us. I’ve just heard that Barb (Barbara Dawn Ettridge) died in Australia just over a week ago. Barb was funny, sharp, a great writer, and a good friend. Details are here:…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months ago
Terrie, I had a tricky January but that’s no excuse. Sorry for missing a super monthly comp. Well done Libby, a really great entry. Well done all.
-
HELEN KAMPFNER posted an update 8 months ago
Hi Janette, hi everyone. So lovely to reconnect. How are you all doing?
-
Hi Hel! So glad to hear from you again! How are you? Are you still writing?
I am starting the self-publishing route for my Grace book after reading up on the Trad V Indie comparisons. Currently awaiting cover design proposals, when I’ll send them my WIP for typesetting. It’s all feeling terrifyingly close, but exciting.
-
-
Terrie replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 1 week ago
Thank you Jill, Sandra and Libby for giving me totally engaging entries composed in three distinct voices. This monthly challenge is always a great showcase for the talents of the members of Den of Writers.
Jill:- Lots of new beginnings in this piece. New start new job new house new baby. A well-crafted thoughtful story with lots o…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Just a reminder that there is less that a week until the the January comp ends and there are only a couple of entries so far . If you have something you think will fit the fairly broad remit of the theme then do please submit it .
-
Athelstone replied to the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I know that feeling. I was also a government employee who found himself parcelled up and sold to the highest bidder, or at least the one that made the most empty promises and said the things that our betters at the high table wanted to hear. I recall now how our managers queued up to tell us what a good thing it was and, yes, they used that exact…[Read more]
-
RichardB started the topic The Sweat of the Workers in the forum Blogs 8 months, 2 weeks ago
One early morning in 1989, about a year-and-a-half after I’d transferred out of the district bus office to become a bus driver, I arrived for work at the bus garage to find that overnight new logos had appeared on the buses. In fact the engineering staff – mechanics and maintenance workers – were still sticking the last ones on. They bore the wor…[Read more]
-
Bella posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago
I have just seen a message from the daughter of Mary Walker James on the YWP page on Facebook. Mary died in October. I have a feeling she was a member here although I cannot be sure of what name she went by. Mezz, possibly? )@mezz, sorry if I have got the wrong name.
-
John T replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
We must venture that way. We’re at the other side of Bannau Brycheiniog near Abergavenny.
-
RichardB replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago
In the few months since I wrote this blog about ‘our’ pub, the Ancient Briton has won – count them – four awards:
Welsh Pub of the Year;
Welsh Eatery of the Year;
Welsh Gastropub of the Year;
First Place, Welsh Good Food Awards.
As I said before, it seems that the owners, Nils and Emma, are doing something right.
It so happens that we have a…[Read more]
-
John T posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Happy fairly-new-year, everyone! I’ve written very little in the last three months for health reasons, but I’m slowly winding back up again. I’ve found a (hopefully acceptable) way to take part in September Song, and I’m returning to blow the dust and cobwebs off my WIP.
-
Janette posted an update 9 months, 1 week ago
Gosh, I almost forgot about the monthly comp, and a worthy winner you chose, Ath. Well done, Terrie, and thank you, Ath, for the prompt. I can’t promise anything in the coming weeks but will try my best in among the prep work for publishing.
-
Terrie started the topic January 2026 Monthly Competition in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
As January is the start of the New Year my obvious thought was New year – new beginnings – but then I thought let’s widen that theme of ‘New’, so write about anything new that motivates, or perhaps daunts, you, or the main character/s of your story.
Think….New Year resolution. New crime scene. New house. New relationship. New…[Read more]
-
Terrie replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Well done Jill, Janette and Sandra , December comps always seem to be more of a challenge as most of us usually busy with other things.
Thank you for the chance to set the January comp Ath.
Sorry was busy yesterday and forgot to pop in to see the results . I will post the January challenge as soon as I come up with one . …[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Monthly Competition – December 2025 in the forum Monthly Competition 9 months, 1 week ago
Right, here we go.
Is there anybody who hasn’t had at least a small part in the production of a nativity play? Jill, that’s just how they go. A perfect evocation. And your story has a Christmas miracle as well – or was it a mischievous young actor?
Janette, I was there in that supermarket. No, really, I was actually there I think, barging past…[Read more]
- Load More
