Terrie

  • Congratulations, Ath – more Teabreak always welcome, and well done Jill for so richly regarding the rules. Thanks Libby for appreciating my desire to take part, but this extract the only one I could recall which specifically mentioned ‘loving’

  • Teabreak in love

    Maureen Chapman. No, tell a lie, it was Chaplain, like a vicar. Her name, I mean—she wasn’t like a vicar. Anyway, Maureen Chaplain was perfect from my ten-year-old point of view. But I’m getting all jumbled up about how to start, so I’ll take a breath. See, it really began when the Brazells moved out from next door and the Cha…[Read more]

  • ‘Snap’ snippet

    From the steps of Leith’s registry Office, exceeding the word count and containing expletives, but the best I can do given other demands.  

    Then, hand in hand, another looking-to-be-wed couple arrived from the rear carpark. On foot and windblown,  Well-matched in the scruffiness of their clothes. Even earlier for their ceremony th…[Read more]

  • Some very sad news for old Cloudies, which I suppose is most of us. I’ve just heard that Barb (Barbara Dawn Ettridge) died in Australia just over a week ago. Barb was funny, sharp, a great writer, and a good friend. Details are here:…[Read more]

    • Jill replied 6 months ago

      Yes, Athelstone I well remember the lovely Barb. Sad news, but thank you for posting it. May she Rest In Peace. Jillx

  • Terrie, I had a tricky January but that’s no excuse. Sorry for missing a super monthly comp. Well done Libby, a really great entry. Well done all.

  • Well done Libby, like Terrie my mind was contorting to keep up; the wellies adding much to the scene. And thank you Terrie for a theme which was instantly  fulfilled (and I’m still re-reading and finding further inspiration, except I can’t get my head around irony)

  • I know that feeling. I was also a government employee who found himself parcelled up and sold to the highest bidder, or at least the one that made the most empty promises and said the things that our betters at the high table wanted to hear. I recall now how our managers queued up to tell us what a good thing it was and, yes, they used that exact…[Read more]

  • Bella posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago

    I have just seen a message from the daughter of Mary Walker James on the YWP page on Facebook. Mary died in October. I have a feeling she was a member here although I cannot be sure of what name she went by. Mezz, possibly? )@mezz, sorry if I have got the wrong name.

    • Hi Bella, I’ve been away for a few days and only just saw your note. Still away and a bit tied up with things, but I’ll see if I can check our member details. Sadly, no guarantee of being certain because names and email addresses often don’t match directly.

  • John T replied to the topic Not a Disaster Story in the forum Blogs 8 months, 3 weeks ago

    We must venture that way. We’re at the other side of Bannau Brycheiniog near Abergavenny.

  • John T posted an update 8 months, 3 weeks ago

    Happy fairly-new-year, everyone! I’ve written very little in the last three months for health reasons, but I’m slowly winding back up again. I’ve found a (hopefully acceptable) way to take part in September Song, and I’m returning to blow the dust and cobwebs off my WIP.

    • Good to hear you’re feeling stronger, John. Still battling with my September Song entry – good to hear you’re onto it too.

  • Fingers crossed, yet another resolution

    New book and a new – and very welcome – experience for me:  a “How To” write book received as a birthday present which I found many times more compelling, educational; entertaining and personally useful than the many “How To” books on writing I own: a dozen on my bookshelves, and knowledge of one di…[Read more]

  • Well done Terrie, and everyone else who between them provided a kaleidoscope view of Christmas, and thank you Ath for prompting me into putting a long-held memory into words.

  • Right, here we go.

    Is there anybody who hasn’t had at least a small part in the production of a nativity play? Jill, that’s just how they go. A perfect evocation. And your story has a Christmas miracle as well – or was it a mischievous young actor?

    Janette, I was there in that supermarket. No, really, I was actually there I think, barging past…[Read more]

  • OK, it’s a fraction after midnight so 2026. I’ve read them all. They’re annoyingly good. So sorry, you can all wait until tomorrow is well and truly underway. Happy New Year!

  • Wouldn’t be Christmas without the occasional disaster.

  • Kate posted an update 9 months, 1 week ago

    Happy Christmas for tomorrow to all you lovely Denizens. Xx

    • And to you, Kate! A chilly start to Christmas morning here in West Sussex. Off to see our daughter start the festivities with a 5K Park Run soon. Then home for breakfast and dividing up the spoils 🙂

  • A never-forgotten Christmas

    The telegram sent by my new-made grandfather, telling my father of my safe arrival, at five minutes to midnight on the twentieth December (and, according to my great-grandfather’s fish scales, weighing 6lbs 4 ozs) is explanation enough of why I don’t remember my first Christmas. To establish whether it was my sec…[Read more]

  • Christmas is coming, The Goose is getting fat, please to put a penny in the old man’s hat, If you haven’t got a penny, a ha’penny will do, If you haven’t got a ha’penny then enter the December monthly comp. Ten days to go.

  • Load More