-
Bella replied to the topic Monster Anthology opportunity in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 8 months ago
@Newbie – your stuff would seem to fit the bill here. Can’t see anything to say you can’t have self-pubbed, but I have not read the terms in detail.
-
-
And I thought things couldn’t get more apposite after the year of the cock
-
Happy New Year! I’m a fan of pigs. Having met wild boars, I have much respect (mild terror) for them, and much love for the stripyness of their babes.
-
I like peccaries, with their tiny dainty feet
-
Okay, a bit of porcine trivia. The meat of the wild boar is prized in some quarters in France, but the animal is a protected species (though that doesn’t stop it being sold under the counter occasionally). to get round this, pig breeders have crossed the wild boar (sanglier) with the farmyard pig (cochon). The resultant hybrid is known as a…[Read more]
-
French is great. En anglais that would just be a Big
-
😀 @daedalus that made me cackle!
-
-
-
@raine I adore the baby humbugs. Utterly cute. They have escape ladders and platforms attached to trees in the Austrian woods to get away from angry Dad pigs, though.
-
-
I wonder where the other replies went?
-
It’s a bug that means the ‘show all replies’ button sometimes fails to appear, unfortunately. Has been annoyingly persistent
-
-
@bellam those platforms are a genius idea! Could have done with them in Poland – although it was the very protective mummies who made me more nervous tbh, especially when gorgeous humbugs decided to check out my boots!!
-
-
-
Jules started the topic Monster Anthology opportunity in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 7 years, 8 months ago
Absolutely huge word count on these – publisher is basically requesting a novella. But you might find that works for you. Plus monster stories from a LGBTQAIP+ angle.
Here’s the link in case anyone is interested.
-
Kate replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
Congratulations John and Elle.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
Thanks, @JaneShuff
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Short Story Publication/Competition in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
I made the long list for the Ink Tears Short Story Competition 2018.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Monthly comp: Feb 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 8 months ago
Nice… my kind of prompt.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 8 months ago
Brilliant – thanks John and well done Jonathan, a tour-de-force of purple prose
-
Bella replied to the topic Entering the Citadel in the forum Blogs 7 years, 8 months ago
I’m buzzing for you. What a ride! And thank you so much for taking the time to tell us honestly what it is actually like.
-
John S Alty replied to the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 8 months ago
The results are in!
Jonathan: A really clever piece of writing, wry observation. Excellent.
Libby: A pleasing little tale, well written and with a message. Good job.
Daedalus: Hugely enjoyable and accomplished description of life with a new puppy and the utter contentment that comes with its unreserved adoration. Liked it a lot.
So, eenie,…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Entering the Citadel in the forum Blogs 7 years, 8 months ago
I think you’re right to be absolutely honest and not gloss over the difficulties and how emotionally taxing success can be. As writers we need to hear it and be under no illusions (and I think it would be nice if readers were a bit more aware of that too – a fellow writer and illustrator tells me his daughter’s friends refuse to accept that’s what…[Read more]
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Entering the Citadel in the forum Blogs 7 years, 8 months ago
Wow, what a ride! Really illuminating blog. This stuff is difficult, isn’t it? Sounds as though you made absolutely the right choice. Heart/gut has to inform head in these circumstances. Loved reading about it, looking forward to the next stage
-
Sandra replied to the topic Entering the Citadel in the forum Blogs 7 years, 8 months ago
Phew indeed, Philippa – but so very pleased you survived it all – very well done.
-
Squidge replied to the topic Entering the Citadel in the forum Blogs 7 years, 8 months ago
It is such an emotional rollercoaster, isn’t it? So glad you came out of it on a high – well deserved. Really happy it’s all come together for you. x
-
John S Alty replied to the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 8 months ago
Well done to the three of you! I’ll give these tales due consideration during the day and post the result by this evening.
-
Daedalus replied to the topic January 2019 in the forum Monthly Competition 7 years, 8 months ago
Ahead
I cannot look ahead.
There is no ahead. There is only now, and I can’t handle it. He is tearing up the carpet. Chomping the furniture. Treating my arm as a chew toy.
And he’s there. Always. Always having to be watched. Placated. Fed. I am tiptoeing around the edge of my own life. If I slip I will fall off.
Virtually the only place tha…[Read more]
-
Athelstone replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
Well done, Philippa – just brilliant news.
-
Jules replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
Congratulations, Phillipa. I’ve loved your short stories so I’ll look forward to your book release 😊
-
John S Alty replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
Well done Philippa!
-
Bella replied to the topic Publishing Deal in the forum Podium 7 years, 8 months ago
I can’t wait to read it. Sounds super.
- Load More
