@sandradavies
Active 11 hours, 7 minutes ago-
Raine replied to the topic Chapter seven – a spider's path in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
Just come to this after reading the first chapter (sorry, I mean’t to read a few days ago and got sidetracked). So this is the guy we meet in the woods? Ace! And I’m assuming we’ve seen a fair bit of him between then and now, so would have already encountered his OCD and the hints of military/prison/crime dribbled into the thoughts. I love the…[Read more]
-
Raine replied to the topic First chapter – Spider's path in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
In a word, yes, would totally read on!! 🙂
Elle has suggested leading with Laura’s PoV, and I do think it might work well that way, partly because we get to know her much better in that short piece of text than we get to know unnamed him. Also because her section is full of suggestions and hooks that I think set up the reader better in terms of…[Read more]
-
Raine posted an update 8 years ago
I wonder if the monthly comp needs its own forum, separate from the comps, opportunities etc one. Might make it easier to find, especially as months get added… ?
-
Newbie replied to the topic Notable week. in the forum Coffee Shop 8 years ago
Good things come in threes apparently. Congratulations to you and your daughter, John.
-
Elle replied to the topic First chapter – Spider's path in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
Hi Sophie,
I enjoy reading this. I think you have two distinctive voices which makes each part stands out from other. Especially Laura, I am curious to get to know more about her.
I like the sense of urgency and confusion in the first section. Some of the word repetition work well but I think there might too much of it and and the repetition…[Read more]
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A Room with a View in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
It’s not. The chit chat thread is over in the Challenge Group “A Room with a View” but as all votes count – so does yours!
-
John S Alty replied to the topic A Room with a View in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
Is this the chit-chat thread? If so I vote MEAN. (If not I still vote MEAN)
-
Athelstone replied to the topic A Room with a View in the forum Blogs 8 years ago
OK – this is really important. This is NEW, this is a TWIST and this is IMPORTANT.
The choices you have made, are making and are still free to change can have an impact on the way you write your story. However, one of the choices may have a surprising effect depending on whether I am GENEROUS or MEAN. And the surprise may not be expected. So –…[Read more]
-
Elle replied to the topic Wip beginning… in the forum Critiques 8 years ago
I enjoy reading this, I get a Station Eleven vibe from it (that’s a good thing) in terms of setting the apocalyptic atmosphere and hinting that something’s coming however I think it might be a bit too much setting up in one go for my liking and I’m not overly fond of the omniscient narrator style (but that’s a personal preference of mine). I agree…[Read more]
-
-
-
Daedalus replied to the topic Pitching opportunity for northern writers in the forum Competitions, Open calls and Writing Opportunities 8 years ago
Histfic can definitely have mainstream appeal. Seems as though one of Juliet Mushens’ biggest successes as an agent recently was with The Miniaturist. Though I gather Juliet is interested in history. The blogpost about how that novel was pitched to her is interesting. I think the link was posted somewhere around here. Go for it
- Load More
